Will having to play a grand final at the MCG potentially cost Fremantle a flag?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn
Fremantle are by far the best side in the competition as it stands thus far. They already have a two game gap on second, and look almost certain to continue to increase their gap over the rest of the competition in the weeks to come.

From such a strong foundation, it's hard to see Fremantle not securing a top two spot and a home qualifying final. From there, even if we accept that Fremantle may not be as dominant as they are right now, and that the other contenders for the flag can lift their games, the home ground advantage earned by Fremantle comes into play and helps to combat this. However, their home ground advantage will only stretch so far, as any Grand Final will be played at the MCG.

So I pose a few questions:

1. Can a team improve sufficiently enough over the course of the season in order to challenge Fremantle on the MCG in September? And if so, who will it be?

2. Is it fair for Fremantle to be forced to play away from their home ground despite finishing first? Let's for the purposes of discussion imagine the iron clad contract with the MCG didn't exist. Should the GF be played wherever the highest ranked team in it plays?

Remember it's a discussion about fairness in a more principled sense, as opposed to a discussion about practical concerns (legal contracts, etc). Keep that in mind before trying to post any snide comments.

It's a joke on this national league that the grand final is always played in Melbourne.

FFS it's not 1950 anymore.
When another stadium can hold 100k put it up for debate. Tough s**t for now imo.

Last edited:
I think enough interstate sides have won flags in the last 20 years to prove that the MCG on Grand Final day is a pretty neutral venue.

Even if outcomes are still the same, an interstate team is more likely to win a GF on their home ground than on the MCG. So if they've finished higher than their opponent on the ladder, it is unfair to deny them that advantage no?

Even if outcomes are still the same, an interstate team is more likely to win a GF on their home ground than on the MCG. So if they've finished higher than their opponent on the ladder, it is unfair to deny them that advantage no?

But then by the same token the interstate sides have an unfair advantage, because Victorian clubs wouldn't have as distinct a 'home ground advantage'.

The MCG is the home of football and Grand Final day is perfect as is. I agree that it's worth a debate but I don't think it's broken enough to try and fix it.

Why should capacity be more important than the integrity of the competition?
You'd be happy for giants to host at Spotless stadium and 25k people?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But then by the same token the interstate sides have an unfair advantage, because Victorian clubs wouldn't have as distinct a 'home ground advantage'.

The MCG is the home of football and Grand Final day is perfect as is. I agree that it's worth a debate but I don't think it's broken enough to try and fix it.

I would agree with that. Victorian sides are disadvantaged because it's far more likely that when they play a 'home' game they are coming up against an opposition who also uses the same ground.

You'd be happy for giants to host at Spotless stadium and 25k people?

If Geelong finish top, can they play the GF at Kardinia?

It's only fair after all.

I would say they could play it wherever they usually played their finals. The game would still be subject to the same conditions about having equal numbers of fans, so it's not like you'd have a disproportionate number of fans from one side at the game.

I would agree with that. Victorian sides are disadvantaged because it's far more likely that when they play a 'home' game they are coming up against an opposition who also uses the same ground.

It balances out by the fact that the 2nd ranked team would have an advantage when playing another Victorian side.

if the AFL doesn't eventually make their competition even, so that each team plays each other an equal amount of times, and the highest ranked team hosts the Grand Final then eventually a breakaway competition will come along that will. and people will flock the that.

the AFL is not a true competition currently. it is a contrived, orchestrated, manipulated, manufactured product.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back