Will Port Adelaide end Collingwood's season on Sunday?

Collingwood's season ends on Sunday?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We'd need to win every game bar one from here on out to get there. We won't beat the Hawks, that's just a fact. We can beat West Coast, Brisbane and GWS, but given our form on the second half of this season those games are no certainties either.

Port have been shaky recently, but they showed us what a team starved of success and full of young hungry players can produce in that final season. I expect Port to come out and win as their finals campaign needs a shot in the arm.

That said, if we do beat them, then we should be good enough to steal a spot in the eight.

It's about 65%-45% to Port.

Am I going to have to defend every prediction from the original post?

What about the fact that Richmond have won four games in a row and have GWS this week? They're very likely to enter the Essendon game on a five match winning streak. That's my justification. Just because I said it's not a should win doesn't mean Essendon will lose.

Can we move on now? You want to give an answer to the question or just keep nitpicking my predictions for Essendon over the next five weeks?

I just would have thought out of all Essendon's remaining matches the game we SHOULD be winning the most is West Coast at Etihad.

It's about 65%-45% to Port.
Oh man, I'm resisting the chance to make a joke about Collingwood supporters here. I'll spare you because you've answered my question properly.

I just would have thought out of all Essendon's remaining matches the game we SHOULD be winning the most is West Coast at Etihad.
Really? I would have thought Gold Coast for sure.

Last edited:
Oh man, I'm resisting the chance to make a joke about Collingwood supporters here. I'll spare you because you've answer my question properly.

Really? I would have thought Gold Coast for sure.

Probably on par but they may still have something to play for.

Not sure why Port are favourites for this...a team clearly out of form playing on the road....I expect the Pies to win

I think we will beat them both
Probably. Like I said, just because I didn't make it a should win game doesn't mean I think Essendon will lose. It just means it's closer to 50% than other games. Essendon's big advantage is the fact that they don't have to travel in their last four rounds where as the other four teams do.

Which of those also dodge Freo at Perth and Sydney at the SCG? Also StKilda play in Adelaide twice.

Yes, St Kilda do play at Adelaide Oval twice - vs. Port Adelaide in Round 12, and vs. Adelaide in Round 23. Still, that leaves another 12 clubs aside from Collingwood who aren't travelling to Adelaide twice this year.

Judging the fixture based upon ladder position and strength of schedule in hindsight is reaching a bit too IMO. The Pies still travel to NSW twice to play both NSW sides there too (vs. Sydney, Round 2, and vs. GWS, Round 22), and aren't really travelling for away games any less than any other Victorian side.

Personally, if I had a say, as a Collingwood supporter, to absolutely kill dead once and for all any claim that the Pies are favoured by the schedule, I'd happily accept play the following schedule each year, for the next five years (home games in bold):
  1. vs. Carlton @ MCG
  2. vs. Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval (South Australia)
  3. vs. Richmond @ MCG
  4. vs. West Coast @ Patersons Stadium (Western Australia)
  5. vs. Essendon @ MCG (ANZAC Day)
  6. vs. Brisbane @ The Gabba (Queensland)
  7. vs. Geelong @ Simonds Stadium
  8. vs. St Kilda @ Westpac Stadium (New Zealand)
  9. vs. Sydney @ SCG (New South Wales)
  10. vs. Western Bulldogs @ Etihad Stadium
  11. vs. Melbourne @ MCG (Queen's Birthday)
  12. Bye
  13. vs. Greater Western Sydney @ Spotless Stadium (New South Wales)
  14. vs. North Melbourne @ Blundstone Arena (Tasmania)
  15. vs. Gold Coast @ Metricon Stadium (Queensland)
  16. vs. Hawthorn @ Aurora Stadium (Tasmania)
  17. vs. Essendon @ Etihad Stadium
  18. vs. Fremantle @ Patersons Stadium (Western Australia)
  19. vs. Richmond @ MCG
  20. vs. Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval (South Australia)
  21. vs. Carlton @ MCG
  22. vs. Melbourne @ TIO Stadium (Northern Territory)
  23. vs. Geelong @ MCG
Games at the MCG - 7
Games outside of Victoria - 12
Played twice - Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond, Essendon, Geelong.

Use that as the starting template, and have other team's schedules build around that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol. Top three interstate sides of 2013 were Sydney, Fremantle and Port all of which we played away. We've also played Sydney away this year. Nice try champ.

Please show us what Round you played Freo away in?

Talking 2014 where you have avoided the top 3 interstate teams at home.

So the AFL were supposed to know exactly how good those teams would be this year, and base Collingwood's (only Collingwood's) schedule on that, were they?

22 games over 23 rounds, 18 teams, 10 Victorian teams, not every side gets the toughest match-up or travel every week. It happens. Not sure why Collingwood need to get singled out, when there are plenty of other clubs in the same boat, getting similarly "easy" runs.

So the AFL were supposed to know exactly how good those teams would be this year, and base Collingwood's (only Collingwood's) schedule on that, were they?

22 games over 23 rounds, 18 teams, 10 Victorian teams, not every side gets the toughest match-up or travel every week. It happens. Not sure why Collingwood need to get singled out, when there are plenty of other clubs in the same boat, getting similarly "easy" runs.

Amazing though that somehow they avoided the top 3 from the previous year.

Amazing though that somehow they avoided the top 3 from the previous year.

Yes, it is.

I doubt the AFL are deliberately colluding with Collingwood or the other clubs who avoid those three fixtures too (one of whom is the club that you support, St Kilda) for this to be the case though, if that's what you're implying.

Odd that this game is played at the MCG. Collingwood avoid the top three hardest road trips again.

Just curious. Do you log into BigFooty each day, head straight for the search button, search for Collingwood, review the days topics and work out what kind of generic negative response to post, then rinse repeat for search words Magpies, Pies etc?

The more relevant question is will Adelaide end Port's season at the 'Portress' in the first week of September?

Back