Universal Love Willem "big willy style" Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised how effective he’s been when spending time at half forward. To my eye (on tv) he looks to be spending much more time forward rather than that stupid rotation with Wines on a wing from last year.

Probably shows his footy smarts relative to other players who’ve run through there for us over the last 5 years or so.

The thought that came to my head last week was Drew is a proper footballer. Blue collar player with no flashy moves but brings his lunchbox and hard hat every week and does his job like a professional.

Uses his height to take marks, tags with a minimum of fuss, wins contested ball, has improved his goal kicking, doesn't get flustered. I had him second best behind Butters.

The thought that came to my head last week was Drew is a proper footballer. Blue collar player with no flashy moves but brings his lunchbox and hard hat every week and does his job like a professional.

Uses his height to take marks, tags with a minimum of fuss, wins contested ball, has improved his goal kicking, doesn't get flustered. I had him second best behind Butters.
The bloke had won 3 open age premiership medals playing for Koroit Footy Club in the tough Hampden Football League when we drafted him, the last one he played in the middle.

That footy league has a lot of the grounds that have black mud in the middle come winter time, with plenty of rain and wind. He knows how to play tough inside contested footy.

And yes he has improved his goal kicking. Maybe that Chad Cornes kicking school is working for him.

Yeah, big fan of Drew and he has good size. I’d imagine he’d take over from Ollie once he’s gone.
I want to put Drew's game in context.

Drew has won games for us as a defensive midfielder and now has an exceptional game as a half forward, mid rotation midfielder setting up and kicking goals. He is quickly turning into the swiss army knife of the team.

It pains me a little that people don't know that he is probably the greatest defensive midfielder, player in the competition.

I looked up his height and he is about 6'2" but he actually seems to play a bit taller and longer than that so he might have a sizeable wingspan as well.

Another beast game. Amazing how often he's able to impact the opposition and stop them getting a clean ball away.

Gets chucked on their best players, bashed from pillar to post and still lays crunching tackles and gets up without a hint of a grimace. Absolutely tough as nails.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredible game, just kept willing us forward. Has grown with the midfield and takes on the responsibility of actually doing something instead of just being a role player.

As others have said, has become more than just a stopper and a ballwinner, he can now be effective on the outside. Quick thinker, good footy IQ.

The new Roger James. Gun.

Has added another dimension to his game. He is now bursting through stoppages, linking up in transition and lacing out our forwards. This guy gets absolutely everything out of himself and has the mindset of a winner. When the game is tight and the going gets tough, i want Drew in and around it.
One of the most underrated go to players to keep the best mids accountable and hes now beating them and hurting them the other way.

I really hope he gets matched up on Bont when we play them as i think he could make a statement with that matchup.

Love him. The guy is just a real solid and strong footballer. Used to be a bit a fumbly but has worked on that and improved his field kicking over the last few years to give him some real weapons without losing the ability to blanket his opponent. Should be tackling coach at the club because he's the only one who can hold a full tackle.
One of the rare examples of a player who's developed beyond what they already had when they came to the club.

A big factor in why he has been so good has been opportunity. With JHF out he is getting heaps more midfield minutes than previously

And he has proven that he deserves those minutes. I would be playing him as a mod in front of Rozee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back