Woodville - Team of the Century (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Woodville - Team of the Century!

Cheers McCavity, great stuff!! I didn't know that the great man Ralphie Sewer had worked at the Housing Trust! Must have been a while back as methinks he has been working as a fireman "for many a year"... going back to the mid '70s( at least..) I would have thought.

Another former Pecker great- Ray Huppatz works at the S.A.H.T. currently as well! But as you said some footy notables there! Graham Plew I recall played on the HBF for Westies, he had long hair and a moustache from memory

Alzheimers is obviously kicking up to disturb my grey matter. You're quite right - it was Ray Huppatz that worked at the Trust. Ralph Sewer was a fireman. I was obviously confusing the two. Apologies for that. However, we used to see Ralph quite a bit - having a drink with the guys at the Trust as well as some of the boys from the Police (who were also in Angas Street), having a drink at KG's pub - The Angas.

Read on another post McCavity that you have followed Centrals from their early days. Out of curiousity do you recall much from those early years following the Dogs?? Perhaps even early clashes between those " traditional rivals " The Bulldogs and The Peckers....All the best, TBW.

I sure do. I spent my first 11 years in Elizabeth, and Dad played for Elizabeth as well as for Centrals when they first came into the reserves comp with Woodville.

I can recall in the early days the extra excitement when we came to play the peckers, as it was inevitably likely to be a close encounter, with the chance of a win. They were few and far between in those days - for both clubs.

I actually used to to like the old Peckers guernsey - bottle green and gold with hooped socks. I can remember some of your early stars - Barry Barbary, Frank Stemper and even Barry Ion. I remember jumping the fence as a 7 year old to get Barry Ion's autograph after a game, and asking him whether Peter Plus was real. He assured me he was (with a straight face, and that he was at the game somewhere).

I remember jumping the fence as a 7 year old to get Barry Ion's autograph after a game, and asking him whether Peter Plus was real. He assured me he was (with a straight face, and that he was at the game somewhere).

No doubt Plussie was at the game ( LOL) standing on the mound with his Dad- Alby. Of course in latter times Peter Plus was to become an underage " star " with The Peckers...how didn't Plussie play League Football?? The W.F.C. selection panel in those times have a lot to answer for!!....

Darrell Panizza is to be inducted into the WA Football Hall of Fame.

http://www.wafootball.com.au/wafc/news/990-2009-wa-football-hall-of-fame

Darrell " Dollar " Panizza's Career at Oval Avenue was a relatively short part of his lengthy football journey....However, he played with The Mighty Warriors from 1987-89 and amassed 74 Games and booted 50 Goals. This was a very good games to goal ratio seeing he played almost exclusively on a wing.

Was a member of our 1987 Finals campaign, which was all too short...but he was a remarkably consistent performer that year which enabled him to win our Best & Fairest award for '87.

" Dollar" was a pacy, skilful player and very much a " ball magnet ". Used to get plenty of it, disposal was effective but would have never won a long-kicking contest...Was a reliable kick up to 40 metres but not known ( at least in his Woodville days) as a " big, booming kick ", but his pace allowed him to get the " slip " on his opponents.

One other good quality was he was very hard to knock over and possessed a " hard nosed " approach at the ball. Pity we couldn't have kept him at Oval Avenue a bit longer...particularly as after departing us at the end of '89 he plied his trade back in the WAFL until the end of 1995! He would have been 36Y.O. when he brought his playing career to a close!

BTW does anybody know the origins of his nickname: DOLLAR. Is he a bit careful with his money perhaps?!?....

Was thinking back to my days of following the mighty peckers and warriors.

The one memory that sticks in my mind was a day down at prospect in 83/84. I'd gone to a match with family friends who were North supporters.

After a gallant 4 quarters of effort from the Warriors , we ended getting pumped by a lazy 10 goals.

I went to the visitors change room after the match to get an autograph from my heros and who lets me in,Sir Blight ,beer in one hand cigarette in the other.

As an 11 year old to be in the change rooms with my heros was an amazing thing.

I went to the visitors change room after the match to get an autograph from my heros and who lets me in,Sir Blight ,beer in one hand cigarette in the other.

Can fully relate to those special memories, Woodpecker Warrior...Started following those Mighty Peckers in '68, I turned 10 years old that year. In '69 the Barry Jarman Stand was opened and recall going into the changerooms with my younger brother before and after the game.

The pre-game rev up by Noel Teasdale our Captain/Coach would get the "blood pumping" and us " young uns" and other older Pecker fans would leave the rooms thinking how could they lose after that pre game talk...Sometimes they won, sometimes they didn't.....But the atmosphere in those rooms was always " electric " and inspirational for one and all!!

As for smokers from '69 and the early '70s, readily recall Malcolm " Scatcher " Blight, " Buff " Tyrell and Mike Doszna having a smoke at half-time. Others I think were Ray Buckley and Barrie Barbary, but I am not 100% certain on those two. There may have been others from that era, but I would only be guessing....In latter times I seem to recall that Chris Scheer during his 95 Game, 57 Goal Career at Oval Avenue from 1976-84 enjoyed a smoke after the game and the " well travelled" Peter Anderson another! There are probably several others....

Can anyone else recall any others?? BTW- Chris Scheer is someone who hasn't been discussed at any length on this or the previous Woody thread. Pretty decent player was " Scheerie "...any other opinions??...

As for smokers from '69 and the early '70s, readily recall Malcolm " Scatcher " Blight, " Buff " Tyrell and Mike Doszna having a smoke at half-time.[/QUOTE]

Just was thinking fairly recently about some footy videos released maybe in the late '70s/ early '80s or thereabouts. I believe the producers of the SANFL highlights packages for " The year it was ", produced one chosen individual player packaged highlights from each of the ( then..) 10 clubs.

Couldn't tell you about which players were chosen for the other nine teams but I am 99.99% positive, ours was the one and only Barry " Buff " Tyrrell. Does anyone have this priceless video or know how to get hold of one?? There might be a highlight of " Buff's " magnificent heroics to kick that match winning goal against Port at Pecker Park in 1976...

Cue McAlmanac, Fatty Lumpkin and other Woody devotees......

Just have the memory etched on me brain of Buff's '76 heroics. That and the fine article of Mike Cowards (posted somewhere in part 1 of this talking history).
Has someone actually copied part 1 ?? It contains some bloody good history, not only of Woodville, but SANFL too.

Terry " Dukey " Duke-More Info. on this Pecker Inaugural..... This is a " must read " for Fatty Lumpkin ( a T. Duke afficionado...LOL)

Happy Easter to all!! I stumbled across some more information on Woody Inaugural team member from Rd. 1 1964, Terry Duke. " The Dukestar " played his one and only League Game in our first ever League Game against North at Prospect on 11/4/64. He was named as 20th man. He did strut his stuff briefly coming on in the last qtr. to replace Kevin Kelly who was a victim of severe cramp that day....

Anyhow, by sheer chance I stumbled across " Dukey " getting a honourable mention on an NTFL ( Northern Territory Football League) history report. It seems that Terry Duke " headed north " after his albeit short career at Pecker Park. I have ascertained that he played for the Waratah F.C. 1966-67 and maybe beyond in the N.T.F.L. They wear red and white are known as the Waratah Warriors. One of Dukey's team mates at the Warriors was former Norwood utility Mike Poulter ( good player too, remember the big hair...LOL) But wait there's more...

Terry Duke played for NTFL representative sides on two occasions in this era! Believe it or not both times he was named " on the bench "...On 23/10/66 the NTFL played North Adelaide the scores being NA 13-13 91 def NTFL 10-9 69. No mention of Dukey in the BP list or Goalscorers, but he may not have had much of a run... Then on 24/10/67 the VFL All Stars ventured north to play the NTFL. The VFL All Stars won easily 18-15 123 to the NTFL 7-12 54.

But a happy ending for Dukey...It seems as if the NTFL Coach tried to pull off a match winning move...Terry Duke was brought " off the pine " and managed to kick one of the Territorians 7 majors!! Maybe a surprise the VFL talent scouts didn't make " The Dukestar " an offer he couldn't refuse... Incredible that I found this out, methinks this has to be the Pecker Inaugural!

How many other Terry Duke's played in this same timeframe...

You thinking of 'Portrait of champions'?

I am fairly certain that is the video, Adrian. Great memory young fella! Believe all ten clubs ( at that time..) had their own " Portrait of Champions " featured player!

All I recall was that for the Mighty Peckers it was the one & only Barry " Buff " Tyrrell. Would there be anyone that might have a copy....it would be pure gold... Maybe another trip out to Unley Road to visit Gerry at the Toss of the Coin could be in order methinks! You just never know your luck in a big city..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im still crapped off i never bought it when the vid shops in Mt gambier were clearing there old stuff out.

I think the featured players were
Robran
Ebert
Luders
Baynes
Bagshaw
Rocky Roberts
Wilbur Wilson
Gallagher
and the immortal Buff

wonder why Glenelg missed out?

Great read on Tezza Duke. Ta TBW. Did we ever figure out his playing number?

Thanks for those kind words, Fatty L. Happy to provide some more background to a Pecker Inaugural... " Dukey " wore number 13 in his all too brief ( 1 Game..) League Career. As I believe was reported previously he is listed as: 13- Duke, J.T. in the Footy Budget of 11/4/64. I have ascertained that his full name was-: James Terrence Duke ( but known as Terry).

He played 11 Seconds Games for The Mighty Peckers: 10 in 1962 and 1 in 1963 prior to us entering League ranks. My belief is he was a local product. I have the Rd. 2 1964 Footy Budget that states that Tezza wore the number 20 guernsey when he was " disgracefully omitted " and found himself playing out the season in the Seconds.....a gross injustice to the man!!

The one memory that sticks in my mind was a day down at prospect in 83/84. I'd gone to a match with family friends who were North supporters.

After a gallant 4 quarters of effort from the Warriors , we ended getting pumped by a lazy 10 goals.

I'm sorry didn't you get this the wrong way around? At 11 blight let you in and you had a beer and a cigarette in hand, the only thing changed now is the Beer is scotch lol

I still have the 94 GF that was a good year, when are you coming over to watch that with me? It was actualy good to look back, great game even if you guys lost in the end.

Ladies & Gentleman...Opinions and feedback on the footballing abilities of EUGENE TAHENY..

Was involved in a very recent conversation about the playing exploits of Eugene Taheny who graced Oval Ave. from 1980-83 chalking up 25 League Games and 2 Goals in that era. My memories of Eugene: probably 5' 9/10" in height, solidish build, moppy black hair and possessed good skills. Fairly pacy and " hard at it " player. Played mostly on the HBF but reckon he may have played on the wing sporadically.

Eugene was a Yorke Peninsula product, Warooka methinks. Unfortunately, copped several injuries which hampered his progress at Pecker Park. My opinion is that he could have been a very handy player for us and maybe due to injury was not able to fulfil his potential. Was a victim of Blighty's 1983 end of year " player cleanout"...

Welcome feedback from all that remember E.T.....( not the movie extra-terrestrial of course...LOL.) Happy days, TBW.

Maybe Blightys cleanouts arent always the best? Peirson may have been handy for 3-4 more yrs in some capacity too

Cheers, Adrian S. you have a very good point on the " cleanout issue ", particularly with: Trevor " Snapper " Pierson. " Snapper " was a very popular player amongst the collective Pecker faithful. His laconic personality and laid back approach to life made him a character of Oval Avenue.

His feats in 1982 were nothing short of incredible and he was a " shining light" in what was a very bleak season at Peckerland. Trev kicked 104 Goals in 22 League Games and that was incredible considering we only won 1 game that season....He most deservedly also won our Best & Fairest player award in 1982.

It is hard to believe that at the end of 1983, " Snapper " was given his marching orders by Coach Blight. Recall being at the Rd. 1 1983 season opener against Torrens the starting line up at the goalfront was: F-: Malcolm Blight, Trevor Pierson, John Roberts. How much talent on one line!! Incredibly we lost that game...

By 1984, John Roberts had joined Torrens and Trevor Pierson I recall headed to Padthaway? in the South East to continue his career. In 1983, " Piero" played 8 Games, dobbing 16 Goals. Although he missed 3 Games with injury, he played the other 11 Games in the Ressies... Seems hard to fathom after his heroics of 1982 doesnt it???

Believe M.J. Blight and T. Pierson didn't see " eye to eye " so to speak on a few things....

Thanks for those kind words, Fatty L. Happy to provide some more background to a Pecker Inaugural... " Dukey " wore number 13 in his all too brief ( 1 Game..) League Career. As I believe was reported previously he is listed as: 13- Duke, J.T. in the Footy Budget of 11/4/64. I have ascertained that his full name was-: James Terrence Duke ( but known as Terry).

He played 11 Seconds Games for The Mighty Peckers: 10 in 1962 and 1 in 1963 prior to us entering League ranks. My belief is he was a local product. I have the Rd. 2 1964 Footy Budget that states that Tezza wore the number 20 guernsey when he was " disgracefully omitted " and found himself playing out the season in the Seconds.....a gross injustice to the man!!
Wow cant believe i found this thread.Brings back so many memories .I didnt miss a game peckers or warriors for over ten years .Was a trainer for 12 years and my family heavily involved .Recently returned to oval ave and had so many memories it was unreal .Will be keen to browse the forum it is great.We should never have merged .....do you agree ??

Cant beleive i found this sight.Spent many many years at oval ave .I remember all the names people mention.I was heavily invlolved as was my family.I left Oval Ave after the merger ...couldnt stand it still cant ......does anyone have an opinion on rod olsson ,he recruited a guy called ian rainbird and another super start paul welsh ..i am smiling now ..Look fwd to hearing from you old peckers and warriors

PC

Cant beleive i found this sight.Spent many many years at oval ave .I remember all the names people mention.I was heavily invlolved as was my family.I left Oval Ave after the merger ...couldnt stand it still cant ......does anyone have an opinion on rod olsson ,he recruited a guy called ian rainbird and another super start paul welsh ..i am smiling now ..Look fwd to hearing from you old peckers and warriors

PC

A very big welcome to you pjlc!! As Ford Fairlane stated Part 1 contains many sentimental and other important memories of all things: Peckers & Warriors, you will love it...

Fully concur with your merger comments as has been well documented!! It was a disgrace....Rod Olsson, came here as a well credentialled VFL coach ?!? Believe it or not took Geelong into the finals and played I believe in Hawthorn's 1961? Premiership Team.

Paul Welsh...much LOL. One of the most unfit SANFL footballers of all time, looked like he always " was in a good paddock". Believe he was a good mate of David " Bolts " Bolton. As a former trainer yourself, methinks you may have heard some interesting coaches addresses' over the years...

PC
Porky? Is that you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back