Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane-Indig-2014.gif

So. Next comes creating the Indigenous Round pages for each club, like they have for Heritage Round.
I have to create a page for each, then change each team page to reflect the new links.
For this I use MS Expression. 38 pages will either be created or edited.
(18 teams new page, 18 teams front page link, 2 pages, Ess & Rich, changed to take the Indig jumpers out of One Off)
Then I load all of them to the website at once, when they're finished.
For that I use Core FTP

Last edited:
So I think we're done.
All teams now have an Indigenous folder.
Essendon, Richmond and Freo have their previous Indigenous Round jumpers in the new Indigenous Round folder.
Port do not, because their NT jumper was not worn in Indigenous Round.

Last edited:

So I think we're done.
All teams now have an Indigenous folder.
Essendon, Richmond and Freo have their previous Indigenous Round jumpers in the new Indigenous Round folder.
Port do not, because their NT jumper was not worn in Indigenous Round.

Shouldn't Adelaide's 2013 jumper be in the Indigenous folder as well?

Mero, something that I have been thinking about for a while. Why do the Grand Final jumpers and the Dreamtime Game jumpers that appear on your website have the AFL's Grand Final and Dreamtime Game logo on them when your stated policy in regards to competition and sponsor logos that appears on the site says, "The jumpers cannot and will not have competition or sponsor logos on them, because that then makes them the Intellectual Property of the AFL, who own the rights to the team names, the logos and the jumpers (as they appear on the ground) By representing the jumpers without sponsor logos I am not showing AFL Licensed property, and therefore not breaching the contract they have with their website provider to only allow AFL IP on their site.
These are representations for the sole purpose of preserving the history of this aspect of the game." As these logos are the property of the AFL wouldn't they fit into the category of logo that are not to appear.

Mero, something that I have been thinking about for a while. Why do the Grand Final jumpers and the Dreamtime Game jumpers that appear on your website have the AFL's Grand Final and Dreamtime Game logo on them when your stated policy in regards to competition and sponsor logos that appears on the site says, "The jumpers cannot and will not have competition or sponsor logos on them, because that then makes them the Intellectual Property of the AFL, who own the rights to the team names, the logos and the jumpers (as they appear on the ground) By representing the jumpers without sponsor logos I am not showing AFL Licensed property, and therefore not breaching the contract they have with their website provider to only allow AFL IP on their site.
These are representations for the sole purpose of preserving the history of this aspect of the game." As these logos are the property of the AFL wouldn't they fit into the category of logo that are not to appear.
I included them because the only thing that is different with them is the logo.
And rather than not include them, which means jumpers would be missing, or include them but without the AFL logo on the larger complete logo, I included it in that instance.

I included them because the only thing that is different with them is the logo.
And rather than not include them, which means jumpers would be missing, or include them but without the AFL logo on the larger complete logo, I included it in that instance.
But wouldn't that mean that every reigning premiers jumpers since 2008 should be included as well. If they are the same jumper as they usually wear then there isn't any use in including them.
Instead of not including the AFL logo on jumpers you could put on the jumpers a red football shaped logo with a blue boarder, and with a gold football shaped logo for the premiers jumpers.

But wouldn't that mean that every reigning premiers jumpers since 2008 should be included as well. If they are the same jumper as they usually wear then there isn't any use in including them.
Instead of not including the AFL logo on jumpers you could put on the jumpers a red football shaped logo with a blue boarder, and with a gold football shaped logo for the premiers jumpers.

I would suggest leaving the graphics as is, but including a comment indicating the difference in AFL logo worn. Although the difference is very minor, and I honestly can't recall the last time I actually consciously noticed there was a difference.

I would suggest leaving the graphics as is, but including a comment indicating the difference in AFL logo worn. Although the difference is very minor, and I honestly can't recall the last time I actually consciously noticed there was a difference.
That's what I thought about some of the jumpers that appear in club's One Off section. A few of them are just a change in logo, like the Grand Final, ANZAC Day match or Dreamtime match. If the only difference with a jumper is the addition logo or a match day logo then it only has to be mentioned. For example the current Hawthorn jumper which they have worn since 2013:
Beside the picture of the jumper the following comments could be made.
- 2013 Grand Final - Grand Final logo replaced the AFL logo
- 2014 Season - 2013 Premiers Gold AFL logo replaced the AFL logo.

For the Collingwood jumper there would be a few more comments like:
- 2010 Anzac Day Match - Anzac Day logo worn above AFL logo
- 2010 CFA Match - CFA logo worn above AFL logo
- 2010 Grand Final and Grand Final Replay - Grand Final logo replaced the AFL logo
- 2011 Season - 2010 Premiers Gold AFL logo replaced the AFL logo
- 2011 Anzac Day Match - Anzac Day logo worn above 2010 Premiers Gold AFL logo
- 2011 Surf Lifesaving Match - Surf Lifesaving logo worn above 2010 Premiers Gold AFL logo
- 2011 Grand Final - Grand Final logo replaced the 2010 Premiers Gold AFL logo
- 2012 Anzac Day Match - Anzac Day logo worn above AFL logo
- 2013 Anzac Day Match - Anzac Day logo worn above AFL logo

This will save Mero from having to add an additional jumper design to the list because they are just the same jumper with a logo put onto it. Jumpers like we have in the Indigenous Round should be highlighted because they are significant changes to the usually jumper. The telling fact should be if it is a iron on transfer or sown on it doesn't deserve a separate jumper entry.

But that assumes that visitors to the site are already aware of what the 'event' logo looks like. And what if it changes over time? Leave it as is, I say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why I say this because Mero wouldn't, and we all wouldn't, want someone to get in control of the AFLs image online and force him to take the images down.

Quoting from www.footyjumpers.com
"The jumpers cannot and will not have competition or sponsor logos on them, because that then makes them the Intellectual Property of the AFL, who own the rights to the team names, the logos and the jumpers (as they appear on the ground) By representing the jumpers without sponsor logos I am not showing AFL Licensed property, and therefore not breaching the contract they have with their website provider to only allow AFL IP on their site."

The Grand Final logo and the Dreamtime match logo are the Intellectual Property of the AFL and also have the AFL logo as part of them. They might not say anything now, but you don't want to give them something that they can use to remove the site. The work that Mero has put into his site would a lot, and I wouldn't want it to be lost due to a couple of logos. We can remember the problems created by a company with three stripes at the start of last year. We don't want that again. Just saying this because it is something that I thought of when looking at the site. Might as well say that there could be a problem then say nothing and let the problem occur. Remember the media rights for the AFL cost companies millions of dollars, and they won't want people using images that they only have the right to use.

If the only difference with a jumper is the addition logo or a match day logo then it only has to be mentioned.

This will save Mero from having to add an additional jumper design to the list because they are just the same jumper with a logo put onto it. Jumpers like we have in the Indigenous Round should be highlighted because they are significant changes to the usually jumper. The telling fact should be if it is a iron on transfer or sown on it doesn't deserve a separate jumper entry.

But that assumes that visitors to the site are already aware of what the 'event' logo looks like. And what if it changes over time? Leave it as is, I say.

These are both good points. Using text is far more simpler, but you can never represent something properly unless there are graphics.

I'm not overly familiar with the image creation process (or legalities, for that matter), but wouldn't the fact that Mero is creating a new image (even if it uses templates and tracing) make it an original work and therefore he is free to do with it as he pleases? Or is the issue simply that the image(s) are immediately identifiable as representing a particular AFL team (in which case I'd say the use of logos makes no difference whatsoever).

I'm surprised that the logos and sponsors wouldn't come under 'fair use'. It works for English football sites like HFK, True Colours etc.
There's no such "fair use" provision under Australian law. There is a similar clause but it is different. I'm a content creator and have gotten away with using copyright material before thanks to fair dealing, but found out quickly fair use is not a concept in Australia.

I am just going on how it was explained to me by a guy named Ian Weeding who is now the Internet Manager for the AFL.
I guess that means everything that happens, not on-field or off-field but on-line.
His thing was AFL Intellectual Property is off limits, because, in those days, Telstra had the rights to all AFL IP on the official website.
Even Essendon had to pay to use the Essendon logo on the non-Telstra site.
Because I was providing a service of keeping a particular aspect of the game's history they would essentially turn a blind eye to my existence so long as I did not put AFL logos on anything, which, at the time, was only the AFL oval logo, and te extension of that, no AFL IP, which was the jumper with AFL and sponsor logos.
So I shelved plans to put everything on the jumper that is actually on the jumper and stayed with how they are.
My preference would be to do the jumper with AFL and sponsor logos, apparel and official merchandise logo as well.
But that would be going too close to where they said not to.
As far as putting an oval where the AFL logo goes, I think it looks better with nothing.
Same for sponsors.

I am just going on how it was explained to me by a guy named Ian Weeding who is now the Internet Manager for the AFL.
I guess that means everything that happens, not on-field or off-field but on-line.
His thing was AFL Intellectual Property is off limits, because, in those days, Telstra had the rights to all AFL IP on the official website.
Even Essendon had to pay to use the Essendon logo on the non-Telstra site.
Because I was providing a service of keeping a particular aspect of the game's history they would essentially turn a blind eye to my existence so long as I did not put AFL logos on anything, which, at the time, was only the AFL oval logo, and te extension of that, no AFL IP, which was the jumper with AFL and sponsor logos.
So I shelved plans to put everything on the jumper that is actually on the jumper and stayed with how they are.
My preference would be to do the jumper with AFL and sponsor logos, apparel and official merchandise logo as well.
But that would be going too close to where they said not to.
As far as putting an oval where the AFL logo goes, I think it looks better with nothing.
Same for sponsors.
It's always amazed me the AFL are aware of you and happy to have you doing it, but wont work with you?

I know what you mean maggotz, I was thinking more things like the AFL records, pictures and all I'm surprised they don't work as a group to get the most historical images.

I know what you mean maggotz, I was thinking more things like the AFL records, pictures and all I'm surprised they don't work as a group to get the most historical images.
No cash in it for them. Only into 'heritage' when they can flog it off. Even if it's grossly inaccurate.

No cash in it for them. Only into 'heritage' when they can flog it off. Even if it's grossly inaccurate.
That is true, but surely there would be a use for them?

AFL Record is right behind what I do.
Geoff Slattery has been awesome, and he owns the company that produces the Footy Record.
Sadly, he is not the AFL though.

AFL Record is right behind what I do.
Geoff Slattery has been awesome, and he owns the company that produces the Footy Record.
Sadly, he is not the AFL though.
Have the AFL said why they wont work with you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back