Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Also Mero I have another St Kilda jumper for you - but this one I've never seen before. The thing is is that I haven't seen a photo where it's the chief design worn throughout the team. I don't know how you feel about older images in which it's clear some players have different jumpers to their own teammates (I think this was discussed when the 1909 Grand Final footage surfaced).

Anyway, these are shots from 1908 and 1909 (both from Boyles again) in which some players have the 1893-1914 candy stripe variation jumper, but others seem to have one (particularly in the 1908 shot) which has red (?) shoulders and a red stripe down the middle, with black and white stripes either side? I say "red" because it's clearly a lighter colour/shade than what I presume to be the black stripes and shorts. That said, it's also a lighter shade than the red on the candy stripe jumpers.

The 1908 team:
dl5857

And the 1909 team:
dl5858
There's probably half the team in the 1908 pic and less i the 1909.
The other thing that's hard to tell is whether both stripes are Black, or is one Red?
Is it the same as the 1923 jumper, but with Red leather reinforcing on the shoulders and down the front?
When you look at the wool jumpers next to them it's hard to see where the Black stops and the Red starts.
Obviously the leather looks different, but that's because it's a different fabric, so it reflects the light differently.

There it is SJ! Interesting. That whole collection is great find.

Mero as you say, it's hard from the candy stripe jumpers to discern what are red and what are black stripes, so it's another variable thrown in that the shoulder panels and lacing stripe are a different material altogether. Strange that only half or so of the side are wearing it in the 1908 shot, and then less still in 1909. They're definitely gone by 1913. Does anyone have a 1907 shot? Perhaps they were introduced around or shortly before then and then phased out for the jumper they had in the first place, but I can't really find an image.

Last edited:

Mero these ones I think are quite easy to solve. Again, found on Boyles:

Footscray 1949 team shot, but with the red hoop with white on either side that wouldn't come in until the 1970s. Is this just an artist's error in colourisation?
dl2359

And then this South Melbourne team shot from 1912, with the sashes set in the opposite direction. Surely the photograph has just been flipped at some point?
dl10724

I'd be going colourist mistake and flipped.
Richmond is the only team I know of that wore the sash the other way as a club issued thing.
Well, apart from Beaumaris in the VAFA.

Players were wearing them on the wrong side right up to the 1949 Grand Final.

Just on Footscray there, one thing I've noticed is the collars.
It looks like they were painted White to begin, then the Red over that.
I would say they painted the White first, then the Red on the collars and the bands.
And when it came time to paint the Red they haven't gone to the top of the Red band.

Last edited:
So, after much gnashing of teeth, it would appear the most likely design of the lace-up jumper worn by StKilda in the early part of the 1900s would look like this:
StKilda-1908-laceup.gif

White, Black and Red stripes, Red facings.
(facings being the bits made of leather to reinforce the canvas)
The Red leather would probably be a different colour to the Red on the canvas due to the dyeing process, but I'd be guessing what the difference was.

At no point is there any mention of StKilda clashing with Collingwood, which two black stripes would have done.

Good point Maggotz.
I wasn't looking at the pockets.
However, even if they are the right way around, every photo I've ever seen of South in games are with the traditional sash left shoulder to right hip look.
South did not play a game in Sydney during the 1912 season, so perhaps these are specially made for the occasion. Perhaps they're showing what pranksters they are by wearing their jumpers backwards.

Last edited:
Geelong is wearing this arbitrary piece of rubbish in Round 23:

094492BB-F2F4-DC0F-8D94FC1F15C41BEFEnright-Premiership-2.png

https://thecatsshoponline.com.au/premiership-guernsey-1

As a league we must be now at the fourth generation of flogging off guernseys.

Generation I: Home guernsey replicas sold
Generation II: Teams adopt alternate (preseason/away) guernseys to wear on field and sell
Generation III: Teams adopt clash (third) guerneys to wear on field and sell
Generation IV: Teams adopt completely arbitrary and tokenistic guernseys to wear on field for no other reason than to sell that at exorbitant prices

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. It's just names of past players that have played in grand finals.

Players that played in 3+ GF's are in gold, 2 GF's are in silver and bronze is for players who've played one grand final
Do you mean premierships ? As a few of the cats players recently would have played in 4 GF's...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back