Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was glad to see you have Hodgson, Couglahn, and Himmelberg getting a chance this year. Big fan of Hodgson.

What are your thoughts of a couple of other 19 year olds in Mahady and Mattingly getting a look in this time round?

I was quite keen on Hodgson last year. Think in a weaker draft group, his versatility and immediate impact would be appealing. Even as a rookie, he'd get playing time at some of the bottom clubs.

With Mattingly, I don't see him getting a gig this year - as good as his season has been. His best bet looks to be going to one of the state leagues and performing well there. Sort of like Chris Jansen this year who moved from Canberra to the SANFL and was rewarded with a state screening invite. Mattingly has the physical attributes to warrant attention if the performances match. Mitch Mahady was a smokey of mine last year, I liked him and would maybe have considered a rookie spot for him. Again, not sure he has much of a chance this year. But another who could look at joining one of the other state leagues. He's a good athlete at his size, and can swing forward from what I've seen. So neither are probably overly draft relevant, but could be handy recruits for other teams.

Love your work but no way Essendon would pass on Francis I reckon. Immediate upgrade on j merrett and ambrose. Would play round one

No love for Gach?

He could, and probably should, be in there somewhere. Come the real thing, I imagine him being a rookie pick - simply given recent history with drafting of ruckmen and that he'll need a few years. Nyoun not featured was more just me not having many rucks picked, as opposed to me not thinking he's a chance.

Love your work but no way Essendon would pass on Francis I reckon. Immediate upgrade on j merrett and ambrose. Would play round one

I have no doubt Francis would play Round 1 at Essendon. But is upgrading a third tall really going to be the difference between a 112 point loss and a win? In my uneducated opinion, Essendon have a pretty poor midfield. You can only hope Myers and Zaharakis make it for so long. And the rest look like good honest foot soldiers, nothing more - Heppell and Watson aside. To me, Francis is a luxury that few of the bottom sides can afford.

He could, and probably should, be in there somewhere. Come the real thing, I imagine him being a rookie pick - simply given recent history with drafting of ruckmen and that he'll need a few years. Nyoun not featured was more just me not having many rucks picked, as opposed to me not thinking he's a chance.

I have no doubt Francis would play Round 1 at Essendon. But is upgrading a third tall really going to be the difference between a 112 point loss and a win? In my uneducated opinion, Essendon have a pretty poor midfield. You can only hope Myers and Zaharakis make it for so long. And the rest look like good honest foot soldiers, nothing more - Heppell and Watson aside. To me, Francis is a luxury that few of the bottom sides can afford.
You don't rate Francis as a mid?

You don't rate Francis as a mid?

Personally, I don't. I think he could pinch hit in the middle at times when you're looking for an impact or need to change the momentum of the game, but I don't think he's a natural midfielder full time. I see him more as a Sam Fisher type defender or Jack Darling type forward, neither of which are bad things.

I think Francis is the best natural footballer in the draft. Jake stringer has had a fair effect on the bulldogs.

I think Francis is the best natural footballer in the draft. Jake stringer has had a fair effect on the bulldogs.

Stringer seemed to understand the midfield and certainly the forward line a lot more than Francis. Francis looks like a great defender and plays like McGovern for the Eagles and would suit that position perfectly.

Good picks for the Roos Chris :thumbsu:
Like McKay + Parons.
Would like Liam Jeffs as well. Looked good in
Highlights the year before.

Chris25 really like your pick for us of Curnow.

I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of him in the TAC Cup Finals - have you seen any of him since his return from injury?

I haven't seen a full game, but I saw a bit of his return last week. Didn't look like he missed a beat up forward, his marking was particularly strong. I'm also hoping to see a bit of him in the Finals, he should have worked his way up into the midfield more by then. Petracca and Curnow would be a dangerous pairing, assuming their development goes well of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Chris, Burton could turn out to be a great pick. Listed at 191cm last year he is the same size as Jack Darling and we all know how good he is. Is Burton as mobile as Darling? Players do get over broken legs so if he slips he could prove to be a great pick up.

Riley Bonner developing into a genuine midfielder, 2 goals, 15 disposals and 6 clearances at half time v Port reserves.
Hugh Haysman - Looked like he had his usual zing & zang back! Best game I've seen him play at the league level, 22 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 4 clearances and 4 x I 50's. Worked really hard all day and gave his usual 100% effort to each contest. Put genuine forward pressure on and matched it with a few Port AFL players. Pleasingly Haysman's ball use was effective and I don't recall an ineffective foot disposal. Did his draft chances no harm with this effort. Staggered he wasn't in West Adelaide's best players??
Aaron Francis - Played the first qtr and a bit of the second then came off, looked flat and a little off touch. Found out through a contact that he had a stomach virus, sat out the rest of the second half.
Will Snelling - did not play, may have been rested for up coming final?

Reserves Game:
Jayden Brind -
Was solid without being dominant, played mostly as a high HF. Used the ball well when he had it and took a couple of nice contested marks. His physicality was high and brought him unstuck after clashing heads in the last qtr. Nasty gash across his eye with alot of blood present, didn't look good and he was unsteady on his feet. Not sure of the end result other than a trip to hospital.
Jack Agostino - Looked very lost early, played as a rotating midfielder than was moved to the HB line. Didn't get alot of it based on usual performances and looked like he is carrying an injury as he didn't more well at all. Needs to go back to his usual BP position or given a lock down role to get him back into touch. Still had plenty of the ball, 16 possessions, 4 clearances, 4 x I50 & 4 x R50.
Riley Bonner - As per an earlier post, Bonner is developing into a genuine midfielder. Finished the game with 25 disposals, 3 tackles, 8 clearances, 2 x I50 & 5 x R50 and 2 goals. One of his goals came from a replay centre clearance, he side stepped 2 port players ran at pace, bounced then goaled from 45m out. Played with a tag in the 2nd & 3rd which was interesting to watch, outworked his opponent and used the ball at his usual elite level.

Pretty accurate summary, DB.

I'd mentioned Matthew Hayball previously and he kicked two goals in that Reserves game.

Quite a way off the others you wrote about, but has some talent.

In the majority of Phantom and Mock drafts I have seen St Kilda have Rhys Mathieson going to at pick 8.

But given the inside mids Saints have in Dunstan, Ross, Weller (More a tagger but does go inside), Curren, Steven and Armitage would they really take Mathieson even if he is best available? Even taking into account Curren as a fringe player that has been injured, the others all get a regular game as it is.

Elshaug said on Twomey's podcast that they want bigger bodied mids because they don't have someone running through the midfield the size of a Stringer or Fyfe and Richo has also said that they want pace on the outside and some backline structure.

With that in mind wouldn't they be more inclined to look at Curnow if he falls that far, Ryan Clarke, Milera, Partington, Tucker and/or Bonner? Is Mathieson that much better than the players mentioned above that they would look at him still?

My thinking if things remain as they are (which of course they're unlikely to) is Tucker (Curnow if he is available) at pick 8, then Clarke (Bonner if he's available) in their 2nd rd and a replacement for Fisher/Dempster with their 3rd.

Have I missed the mark here?

Hi Chris, Burton could turn out to be a great pick. Listed at 191cm last year he is the same size as Jack Darling and we all know how good he is. Is Burton as mobile as Darling? Players do get over broken legs so if he slips he could prove to be a great pick up.

Hopefully Burton gets back for a couple of U18 games before the draft, even one would be encouraging. It's just hard to say with any certainty where he goes, without any medical reports to go on. At this stage, I'm assuming he goes lower than expected. But, pre-injury, I would say his mobility was better than Darling's. His best performances were around goal, but I did see a bit of him floating around the edges of packs at throw ins and the like. He always had good lateral movement and vision. I'd still be playing him inside the forward 50 though.

Who do you reckon has a bigger future out of the 2 main Academy boys, Hopper or Mills??

I'd say Hopper will have the earlier impact and be a more consistent pro, but Mills has the potential to be better. Sort of like Michael Barlow and David Mundy I suppose. I'm not comparing them as players, just an impact comparison. And of course, a Fremantle based one.

Riley Bonner developing into a genuine midfielder, 2 goals, 15 disposals and 6 clearances at half time v Port reserves.

They were some pretty impressive numbers, I personally wouldn't be considering him a midfielder yet though. I just don't see it happening. Makes me think he might be able to push up the ground and pinch hit, but he's still a half back for me. Although admittedly, a stronger one than I maybe intially gave him credit for. I'd like to see him play a shut down defensive role though, that's my question mark on him.

They were some pretty impressive numbers, I personally wouldn't be considering him a midfielder yet though. I just don't see it happening. Makes me think he might be able to push up the ground and pinch hit, but he's still a half back for me. Although admittedly, a stronger one than I maybe intially gave him credit for. I'd like to see him play a shut down defensive role though, that's my question mark on him.
Reckon he will be the draft bolter Chris , can see him pushing the top 10 as on rapid improvement curve , those sort of numbers as a mid will help his cause ...deceptively tall and one of best if not the best kick in the draft . Brodie smith like role wing and half back, doesn't quite have the same line breaking speed but height and being a left footer gives him other strings

Love your Post and it seems as your one of the very few who rate Greg Clarke highly, would you be able to share why u rate him so highly. Hes one player i havent seen much of

Reckon he will be the draft bolter Chris , can see him pushing the top 10 as on rapid improvement curve , those sort of numbers as a mid will help his cause ...deceptively tall and one of best if not the best kick in the draft . Brodie smith like role wing and half back, doesn't quite have the same line breaking speed but height and being a left footer gives him other strings

I have no doubts that Bonner goes higher than I have him, and general consensus is that he's top 15 as opposed to being a true bolter. But I'm sticking by my assessment. I think he can be a very good half back, but I think he's largely a one way player like a Suckling, Shaw or Malceski. So far I haven't seen the defensive efforts that the most well rounded half backs have. A club would love to have any of those three, so it's not a negative. Just how I see him developing.

And given I view Bonner as a half back and not a midfielder, I would probably value players like Brandon White and Mitchell Hibberd higher.

Love your Post and it seems as your one of the very few who rate Greg Clarke highly, would you be able to share why u rate him so highly. Hes one player i havent seen much of

Everyone seems to be looking for tall players who could become midfielders, wondering whether guys like Bonner and Curnow will be able to make the transition. I like Clark, because he is that tall midfielder already. He has some weaknesses - his kicking is average, doesn't always play with a real sense of urgency and hasn't played to the best of his ability yet. But for me, he has more ticks than crosses. His inside game is developing, but he uses his size well on the outside. And I like when tall players play tall. Elite endurance in a 193cm kid is always nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back