Your Game of the Year for 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

LA was an okay game just got very repetitive

I've actually felt that way about R* games since GTA San Andraes. Same things new skins.

Actually feeling that way about MW3 too ATM.

Ok knocked off gears and started skyrim. notched up level 6 in my first session of playing...couldn't stop. so I guess I have to add it to the list...tentatively...still early days.

But yeah...its basically fallout with spells and sorcery...so I like

Ringstretcher the orc is taking names. Some chick challenged me to a fist fight in a bar for 100 gold. slapped that bitch good

Ok knocked off gears and started skyrim. notched up level 6 in my first session of playing...couldn't stop. so I guess I have to add it to the list...tentatively...still early days.

But yeah...its basically fallout with spells and sorcery...so I like

Ringstretcher the orc is taking names. Some chick challenged me to a fist fight in a bar for 100 gold. slapped that bitch good

She'll be your follower once you knock her around.

In no order as it's to hard to pick, so many great games in 2011

• Skyrim
  • Battlefield 3
  • Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • LA Noire
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Dead Space 2
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
  • Portal 2

I wouldn't say the first 10 hours aren't competent anyway, just involves a bit more walking

Not to mention said 'walking' isn't exactly uneventful. For most of my game a typical quest would involve catching a taxi (horse and cart) to the city closest to my quest target, then hopping on my horse and riding the few minutes needed to get the rest of the way.
In that few minutes I'd come across any number of things (bandits, hunters, prisoners, camps, caves, giants, dragons, beasts, herbs, etc), which would inevitably sidetrack me, sometimes for hours at a time.

I think most fans of the series would agree that the way Bethesda, and modders, have created and filled their huge worlds like this is far more important than having quickly accessible, on-rail quest objectives (which is what I assume being able to quickly "get anywhere or do anything" refers to). This is what Elder Scrolls games are known for, so anyone not keen on that kind of open gameplay is probably playing the wrong game.

Back on topic: though I'm still trying to work my holiday backlog, at this stage I can come up with a pretty clear top 8, with the main criteria being games I enjoyed the most:

1. Dark Souls - Epic.
2. Skyrim - Will likely jump to number 1 as more mods are released over the coming months/years. Hoping for high quality from the inevitable Song of Ice and Fire mod(s).

3. Football Manager 2012 - Winner of my 'most time spent playing' award.
4. AFL Live - It's a decent game, but gets huge bonus points for being a decent AFL game.
5. Magicka - Awesome online multiplayer. I remember reading somewhere that industry professionals suggested that Magicka have its casting system simplified and friendly fire removed before it was released. Thankfully the advice was ignored.
6. Terraria - If you think it's a 2D Minecraft, you're playing it wrong.
7. FIFA 12 - Impact Engine + Multiplayer = hilarity. Also it's a really good game.
8. Pro Cycling Manager 2011 - Got into it through Cadel fever and lack of access to AFL Live at the time, but kept playing it long after that for the surprising amount of fun it gave.

NBA 2K12, Shogun 2, Orcs Must Die, New Star Soccer 5 and Minecraft would be in the next group down.
Given Portal 2 a few goes but haven't been able to get into it yet. From Dust is awful.
Also have Arkham City, Deus Ex: HR, Saints Row 3 and Bastion barely played yet.

Bloody good year for gaming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished Batman AC and must say pretty darn good. Enjoyed it immensely. Still Skyrim is my number one.

Batman can't be in my top game list as I only played it in 2012 so it can be number 1 so far this year.

1. NBA 2K12
2. Uncharted 3
3. Batman
4. Skyrim
5. Fifa

Ever since I got NBA it hasn't left the playstation. The best sports game ever made

Remove this Banner Ad

Back