Your Game of the Year for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh well **** it then :)

It's in that category though isn't it? Late enough one year to move into the next. A lot of people who bought it on release would have still be playing it in the earlier months.

Would be my 1....Although I think it was my 1 last year.

Haven't played many this year. Borderlands 2 was definitely the standout for me though.
Only got Far Cry 3 the other day, but so far it's pretty bloody good, so it could go close.

This was a very, very weak year for me. I'd have to say my GOTY is Dragon's Dogma.

DragonsDogma.jpg

The game had a heap of flaws, but most importantly it was a new IP. From Capcom of all companies.. home of "Resident Evil: We Don't Give a **** Anymore", and "Let's Make Another Mash Up Fighter". It was a risk.. something new, unique and it paid off IMO.

Yes, it had many flaws, some significant, but you don't list all the flaws in a GOTY thread so I'll get on to what they did right.

-Amazing combat. Visceral, weighty, immensely satisfying. Throw in a heap of weapons, special moves, abilities, plus the sheer variety of ways to bring down enemies. Magic, pure brawn, you could even CLIMB all over the large enemies. etc.

-Sprawling world filled with danger around every corner. They made exploration an enjoyable challenge. You never knew what you would find in those unexplored regions of the map.

-Mythological beasts to destroy.

-Impressive day night cycle. When the sun goes down, the real monsters came out to play.

-Best dragon fights in gaming. I still remember the first dragon I killed. I fought that mother****er for over an hour before he went down. Of course by the end of the game you can kill the same dragon in about a minute... but that first impression lingers.

-Outstanding character customisation. You could be a 7 foot, 160 kg juggernaut wielding a huge greatsword or a 4 foot archer who shoots magic bolts. Your size actually influenced things other than aesthetics as well. Carry load, weapon range, stamina recovery etc.

-Post game challenge mode and challenge arenas. By the time you finish the main questline, you are far too powerful for most of the enemies now. So the game says "**** you" and ramps up the difficulty for those who crave it. Certain enemy types only appear in the post game, but with harder enemies comes better loot...

You also had a whole four man party to roll with. They were all AI unfortunately, had this game supported 4 player online bro-op... well.. I would still be playing it to this day.

borderlands 2 is my game of the year.

this has easily been my leanest year in gaming for the past 5-6+ but a game with the fun factor of borderlands 2 would probably be able to crack any years list.

i have played more than just BL2 but it's the only one i really want to give the praise too. great game!

Your Game of the Year for 2012
lets see now you are obviously threatened bf3 and the fact nothing can get near it.

In 2012 we've had Close Quarters, Armored Kill and Aftermath. All separate games from the original BF3 release. Stuff you have to pay for to play.
Do you include Assassins Creed, Halo 4, Borderlands, Farcry 3 etc as games that don't belong in 2012 ? They are just updated versions of old games.

Not to mention CODswallop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lets see now you are obviously threatened bf3 and the fact nothing can get near it.

In 2012 we've had Close Quarters, Armored Kill and Aftermath. All separate games from the original BF3 release. Stuff you have to pay for to play.
Do you include Assassins Creed, Halo 4, Borderlands, Farcry 3 etc as games that don't belong in 2012 ? They are just updated versions of old games.

What? This is a muddled mess of a post.

Close Quarters, Armored Kill and Aftermath are DLC and cannot be accessed without BF3.

AC3, Halo 4, Borderlands 2 and Far Cry 3 are all new games that cannot be accessed with their previous titles.

And if those are just updated versions of old games, what is BF3?

I love BF3 as much as anyone but CQ was fun for 10mins AK was completely shithouse and I'm yet to get back on to D/L aftermath

Far Cry 3.

Sports game is NBA2K13.

Honourable mention to Dishonored.

Getting XCOM in a few days so that could possibly become GOTY for mine.
I see what you did there.

I love BF3 as much as anyone but CQ was fun for 10mins AK was completely shithouse and I'm yet to get back on to D/L aftermath

Can't argue with this.

1. Journey
2. Spec Ops: The Line
3. The Unfinished Swan
4. New Super Mario Bros 2
5. Botanicula

Time for gaming dropped considerably this year, though and there's a few that I didn't yet get to play that I'm pretty sure I'll like a lot like Hotline Miami, Mark Of The Ninja, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, New Super Mario Bros U, The Walking Dead, Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?! Dustforce, Closure, ZombiU

There's also a few 2011 games I did get on to this year that would have appeared near the top of a retrospective 2011 list like Alice: Madness Returns and Bastion

1. Max payne 3
2. The walking dead (still got episode 5 to go)
3. FarCry 3
4. Sleeping Dogs
5. NBA 2k13

liked journey and rainbow moon on psn.

Haven't finished AC3,BL2,X-com,Darksiders 2,RE6 and dragons dogma but do like what i have played of these games so far.
Haven't played hitman,dishonored or spec ops yet but will get them soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back