Your Game of the Year for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

This forum's full of PS3 fanboys, it's why i barely come here lol

Meh, I own all the current gaming consoles besides the Wii U. BUT PS3 is my choice.:p

damn, you have some great taste. shame you have mass effect 3 as number 1 though. this list really does prove pc > ps3.
4 of those top 5 games are on console?
Yet another stupid comment that makes no sense, and you wonder why the dribble you write gets deleted lol

Top 5's are subjective so there is no right or wrong list.

especially when the mods delete and edit your posts if you say negative things about the ps3.
Not even true in the slightest.

You do know slander and lies against mods can be deemed cardworthy?

4 of those top 5 games are on console?
Yet another stupid comment that makes no sense, and you wonder why the dribble you write gets deleted lol

Top 5's are subjective so there is no right or wrong list.

FTL: Faster Than Light
To the Moon
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl

Think this year has been a rather disappointing year for gaming. Having only a PS3 so I couldn't see what exclusives the 360 had. Assassins Creed was hyped up to be amazing, fell way short. The new Resident Evil game was horrid, bring back the feel of 4. FIFA 13 was glitchy as hell, still have it but haven't put it in for atleast a month. NBA 2k13 was just not a big enough leap to make the jump from 12 which to me has been the best basketball game of all time. Max Payne was fairly average, was massively hyped. Future Soldier was a clunky piece of poop, though I had fun playing Co-op on it.

Top 5 Games for me.
1. Farcry 3
2. Tokyo Jungle
3. Journey
4. Dishonored
5. Black Ops 2

(Haven't played Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, Walking Dead. From the sounds of those games they would knock out Dishonored/Black Ops 2 for me)

Think this year has been a rather disappointing year for gaming. Having only a PS3 so I couldn't see what exclusives the 360 had. Assassins Creed was hyped up to be amazing, fell way short. The new Resident Evil game was horrid, bring back the feel of 4. FIFA 13 was glitchy as hell, still have it but haven't put it in for atleast a month. NBA 2k13 was just not a big enough leap to make the jump from 12 which to me has been the best basketball game of all time. Max Payne was fairly average, was massively hyped. Future Soldier was a clunky piece of poop, though I had fun playing Co-op on it.

Top 5 Games for me.
1. Farcry 3
2. Tokyo Jungle
3. Journey
4. Dishonored
5. Black Ops 2

(Haven't played Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, Walking Dead. From the sounds of those games they would knock out Dishonored/Black Ops 2 for me)

All PS3 games. Clearly the better gaming device. Thank you sir for ending the argument.:thumbsu:;)

All PS3 games. Clearly the better gaming device. Thank you sir for ending the argument.:thumbsu:;)
Its the only gaming device I own that can actually play current games. PC > PS3 > 360 > Wii if I had the money for a good pc.

Also is the WiiU part of the 360/PS3 gen or is it technically next gen?

Its the only gaming device I own that can actually play current games. PC > PS3 > 360 > Wii if I had the money for a good pc.

Also is the WiiU part of the 360/PS3 gen or is it technically next gen?

Who asked you anyway?:oops:

And again whats the best platform for gaming is subjective.
I don't like pc so ps3 for me, i use the 360 for exclusives but that's it, while others are the opposite.
And i know you were just trolling a little :)

especially when the mods delete and edit your posts if you say negative things about the ps3.
Didn't even know that.

MY PS3 just stops the top of my 360 from collecting dust, haven't even played MLB 12 The Show for months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? Cause most of the active users in the forum play on ps3?
But hey going by your post we are probably better off with you barely coming here. :thumbsu:
As am i because according to the majority of people here think PS3>>>>>>>>>>>>>360, dumb.

NBA 2k13 was just not a big enough leap to make the jump from 12 which to me has been the best basketball game of all time.
NBA 2K12 was a horrible game, 2K11>>>>>>>>>2K12.

Most big basketball followers like myself agree.

As am i because according to the majority of people here think PS3>>>>>>>>>>>>>360, dumb.
Well the majority own ps3's so they will think that the ps3 console is superior, or they would of bought 360's.

Personally i dont see much difference in the 2 for my needs, it came down to exclusives and blu ray in the end.

Well the majority own ps3's so they will think that the ps3 console is superior, or they would of bought 360's.

Personally i dont see much difference in the 2 for my needs, it came down to exclusives and blu ray in the end.

My 360 just gathers dust as the PS3 is my preference for games, I still have the Witcher 2 and Halo to play but can't motivate myself.

Games wise 2012 was a pretty s**t year for me

Far cry 3 is by miles the best game I've played- the only one that's really stood out.

Mass effect 3 is good also.

Assassins Creed 3, Max Pain, Deus Ex, Sleeping dogs, Hitman, the witcher 2, didnt do much for me- there Ok games but nothing that makes a mark.

Call of duty black ops 2 I haven't played.

GOTY: Hotline Miami

Overall, the big budget releases this year for me have been disappointing to say the least. However, this has been made up for in a lot of ways by the phenomenal PC indie scene. Mods and tiny budget indie games simply outshone the big boys in so many ways this year, and the head of the pack for me was 'Hotline Miami'.

This game is being hyped big time at the moment, but its well deserved. Ultra violent with an anti-violence theme, a pumping, electro-80's Jan Hammer-esq soundtrack and an amazing pace pulls you into gratuitous combo kills and then demands you to think about what you have done (and more importantly, the motives behind your actions, or lack of them). The core gameplay is made up of super quick levels, one shot kills and one shot deaths. It plays similarly to games like 'Super Meat Boy' and 'VVVVVV' in that you die quick and restart levels many times over until you perfect your run, only unlike those two other titles, 'Hotline Miami' has a definite puzzle element to the carnage. Where as SMB will be all about the execution, HM is about planning ahead, and then executing that plan correctly/perfectly.

It's fun as hell, its addictive, the story being told is genuinely compelling (if quite light on actual narrative), the soundtrack is the best of any game I've heard since 'Frozen Synapse', and the 'style' it aims for is just so precise. You can tell that the two guys who made this had a clear vision, went for it, and succeeded almost completely.

From what I understand, talks are underway for a PS3/Vita version. Keep a look out for those who don't game on PC. I can't recommend this game enough. Also, its $5 on Steam at the moment, so go and buy it. It'll likely run on a toaster and there's demo just in case to make sure.

Honorable Mentions:

DayZ:
Another super-hyped title, this mod turned niche Military Simulator 'ARMA II' into a hit 3 years after its original release. This mod is the complete opposite to the typical 'AAA' style zombie game in that it is utterly ruthless, and the story being told is completely player driven (similar to an MMO sandbox like 'EVE Online'), with most of the fear and tension coming from interactions with other survivors.

When you are needlessly cruel to a pedestrian in GTA, for example, you just laugh about the comical feel of it all. 'DayZ' is different, though. It made me realise that it's the visual connection of seeing something resembling reality, yet it being completely AI controlled that allows us (or me) to completely lose ourselves in violent videogame fantasy, enacting absurd situations in a somewhat grounded environment.

Take DayZ though, and that survivor who you just killed for your own amusement, well he is an actual person who likely crawled through the map, sneaking around searching for food and ammo just hoping to make it a little longer without being shot in the back for his beans. I remember once coming across a survivor with a couple of people from BF, with him screaming down his mic begging us to kill the zombies running after him. We shot them all down, and using the ranged voice button (which lets people hear you in a 20 meter or so radius), with him sounding genuinely distressed, he thanked us. I then shot him in the leg, and he let out an audible sigh before announcing "really guys...really!?".

I felt bad, but I enjoyed the experience of genuinely feeling bad in a game. I'm not even sure what to think about that, other than I want more of this type of experience from my future games.

I've come close to that emergent experience in 'Ultima Online' a long time ago, but the voice-chat in particular just adds so much to the experience.

It's kind of incredible, but the game engine that makes the magic happen is also a beast that is trying to do so much, and comes from a pretty low-key dev, that it leads to extremely janky animation and UI. It's also been hammered by hacker-scum who get off on ruining the experience for others. The stand alone version should be out soon, with Rocket putting much of his focus on the hackers and the UI, so hopefully we can play it again as we once did.

The Walking Dead:
Telltale were a developer who started strongly with the hilarious 'Sam and Max' series, had a pretty big slump as they found themselves shifting over from more traditional 'Point and Click' style adventure games to games of a more cinematic nature, and then seemed to put it all together for 'The Walking Dead', which has ended up being their best game by so far its not even funny. The game acted out more like an interactive novel more than a traditional game, but the excellent writing and characters who made you care about them saw this game this rise above its clear inspiration in 'Heavy Rain'. Like most things 'TWD', the tale is harrowing, seemingly hopeless and totally compelling.

I can't wait for season 2...

Wipeout 2048:
Wipeout was the greatest arcade racing game series bar none until Sony killed Sony Liverpool earlier this year. '2048' is more or less 'HD' with wider tracks and half the framerate (which is a big knock, no doubt). Considering 'HD' is the best racing game of all time, and this thing plays on portable hardware, though, its a hell of an achievement. The graphics, soundtrack and gameplay are all stellar and there is a ton of content. Bonus points for universal DLC and cross play between the Vita and PS3 versions of shared tracks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back