80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Driver is definitely my weak point and is what adds countless shots onto my rounds. I don't necessarily try to swing too hard, I just practice it no where near enough...or as much as I do my irons.

I had a 30min lesson on it ~10 months ago and the pro corrected it within 5 minutes. I think I've regressed back, so time for another lesson me thinks.

have you considered teeing off with a 3W? i mean its not the answer overall, but for scoring sake if it achieves goals for you then do it.

yeah, lessons help a lot, but practice is what's needed.

have you considered teeing off with a 3W? i mean its not the answer overall, but for scoring sake if it achieves goals for you then do it.

Do you notice a difference between practicing on course & practicing at the driving range?

Obviously ideally you wouldn't use a paid round as practice, but is there anything to be said for "practicing" during a round?

Do you notice a difference between practicing on course & practicing at the driving range?

Obviously ideally you wouldn't use a paid round as practice, but is there anything to be said for "practicing" during a round?

good questions FG. nothing beats being out on the course of course (lol course of course). but range is where you repeat what instructors have told you and hone it - technique. but you need to be careful you dont just become a range rat and hit 100s of balls. hitting balls will indicate where in your swing/grip you are going wrong (if ideally the result is the same each time). drill down even further......hitting off GRASS >>>>>>>> mats. if opportunity present grass, do as brad pitt said in Troy - "take it, it's yours".

if you're playing comp, obviously you cant hit two balls, of drop another for practice. but if a social round, yeah why not (just ask playing partners if ok to hit another one). but not every shot of course lol! social paid round at the local course, same thing.

on course, its where you apply what you practice at the range. beauty about golf is that you'll never have the same two shots ever.

dont forget you dont need to always hit balls to practice.

im no pro, and there are plenty of others here that have a lower handicap, but that's my take.

may i ask, whats your golfing experience/life at this moment?

I do use a 3w where possible, but there are a few holes on my course (maybe 4 or 5) where if you don't use a 1w it generally puts you in an awkward spot.

To stop the slice requires a pretty minimal change, but I can't seem to get it consistently right from memory. Will need a lesson and then I'll have to commit to some solid practice to ingrain the change.

may i ask, whats your golfing experience/life at this moment?

Like I said up above, pretty limited as to when I can play with work. Mainly playing on inner suburban courses using relatively old clubs. I'm shooting around 100 for most rounds and right now probably only get out once a month, maybe twice if I'm lucky. I do appreciate any tips as I'm always trying to get better.

I do use a 3w where possible, but there are a few holes on my course (maybe 4 or 5) where if you don't use a 1w it generally puts you in an awkward spot.

To stop the slice requires a pretty minimal change, but I can't seem to get it consistently right from memory. Will need a lesson and then I'll have to commit to some solid practice to ingrain the change.

slice generally means your swinging outside in right?

Like I said up above, pretty limited as to when I can play with work. Mainly playing on inner suburban courses using relatively old clubs. I'm shooting around 100 for most rounds and right now probably only get out once a month, maybe twice if I'm lucky. I do appreciate any tips as I'm always trying to get better.

sorry, forgot about your earlier post.

which courses are you playing on? do you have access to a range?

As best as possible you need to make sure you're hitting each shot as if it were being played in a round, hitting at targets and at different yardages...all the while working on w/e it is you're working on. If you're not working on anything and where possible, I'd always play a round over going to the range.

From my experience during social rounds you can do almost anything...I often play multiple balls and practice different shots etc. So long as you're not disrupting anyone else on the course and w/e it is you're doing isn't excessive then I reckon its definitely better practice than on the range.

sorry, forgot about your earlier post.

which courses are you playing on? do you have access to a range?

Yeah absolutely. Inner eastern courses mostly - Ivanhoe, Yarra Bend, Freeway etc. Getting to a range is easy, it's just finding the time. I'm always trying out new things every round though - I'm really happy with the adjustments I've made to my driving technique and I feel relatively comfortably that it's going to go mostly straight every time.

I actually played a few rounds on par 3 courses recently (Mrs wanted to go for a round but I thought a full round would be a bit much for her) and found that really helped with my iron shots and judging the distance, whereas before I was generally hitting short of the greens.

Yeah absolutely. Inner eastern courses mostly - Ivanhoe, Yarra Bend, Freeway etc. Getting to a range is easy, it's just finding the time. I'm always trying out new things every round though - I'm really happy with the adjustments I've made to my driving technique and I feel relatively comfortably that it's going to go mostly straight every time.

my instructor told me, if you cant get your drive/tee shot in play, you cant score. like in tennis, cant get your serve in, cant play.

if you are straight (no ghey) off the tee, and straight with every other shot although not long, it dont matter. you'll walk off using only 1 ball and play well.

time is your and every golfrs enemy. a whole day can be taken away.

I actually played a few rounds on par 3 courses recently (Mrs wanted to go for a round but I thought a full round would be a bit much for her) and found that really helped with my iron shots and judging the distance, whereas before I was generally hitting short of the greens.

and of course, the golf course is your sanctuary.

my instructor told me, if you cant get your drive/tee shot in play, you cant score. like in tennis, cant get your serve in, cant play.

if you are straight (no ghey) off the tee, and straight with every other shot although not long, it dont matter. you'll walk off using only 1 ball and play well.

time is your and every golfrs enemy. a whole day can be taken away.

Cheers pn. I'm trying to make adjustments to the way I play because I really do enjoy the game, as well as the social aspect of it, and I'd love to be really good. So any and all tips are appreciated.

Cheers pn. I'm trying to make adjustments to the way I play because I really do enjoy the game, as well as the social aspect of it, and I'd love to be really good. So any and all tips are appreciated.

no worries mate. keep up the work and results will come (coming from someone who's played for 15 years, but seriously comp wise for 4-5 and has a handicap of 23....wut?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

last wednesday participated in Par comp on the Old Course National. my nemesis course and a tough scoring method.

gentle breeze (for national standards), and generous tail wind (slight) on hole 1. drove the ball to the valley just to the side of the front of the green. lob up, 1 putt. birdie. strut.

hole 2. drove ball into the tee trees. provvy ball better. found first ball (yay). chipped out but wiped the hole. at least found the ball! that was my only wipe on the front 9.

after 9 was +5. yay yay yay.

basically had a lot of things go my way (and a few missed putts of course). signature par 7 over the gorge all of us (3 in the group) landed nicely within a few metres. of course 2 putted. lol.

and the par 3 4th over water (below), playing off the blacks basically. 5 wood that landed like a butterfly. what?? pared for a +.

Old4.jpg

finally my face hole on the course, par 4 14th. there are pine trees both sides some 100m out. tee shot right of the middle bunker. adequate. 3 wood in, fk it i thought give it a shot. pulled it but the ball faded slightly and went between branches of a pine tree. saywat????? ball bumped and grined and rolled onto the green. on in 2 bitches!! come at me!! 3 putted lol.

Old14.jpg

3 wipes hurt my back 9 (no pun), but managed to fight and end up all square at 9s end, for +5 overall. 41 pts stableford converted and won the comp by a few.

On hole 2 was your provy ball thecsame type as your original?
Eg were they both pro V1s or were they different?

On hole 2 was your provy ball thecsame type as your original?
Eg were they both pro V1s or were they different?

provvy ball may have been different. dont remember. but i have various balls in the bag.

no pro v1s however. the only pro v1 ill hit is one that ill find somewhere on the course.

provvy ball may have been different. dont remember. but i have various balls in the bag.

no pro v1s however. the only pro v1 ill hit is one that ill find somewhere on the course.

Bizarrely i think the rule is your provy ball must be the same as your original.

Didn't Phil lose a hole at the presidents cup for something like that?

I could be wrong tho

Bizarrely i think the rule is your provy ball must be the same as your original.

Didn't Phil lose a hole at the presidents cup for something like that?

I could be wrong tho

thats in PGA pro golf.

golf comps here you can use whatever ball you want. like hell the average golfer with a handicap can afford buying and using the one brand and model of ball

Played Mossman this morning

Average track undergoing lots of attempted renovations

Sea temple friday

Paradise palms next week

Happy dayz

**** its hot and humid

Nice - I love Sea Temple (Palmer now I believe)
Let me know how Paradise Palms goes - one of the toughest golf courses I have played.
A few tight fairways there...

Last edited:
Nice - I love Seat Temple (Palmer now I believe)
Let me know how Paradise Palms goes - one of the toughest golf courses I have played.
A few tight fairways there...

Paradise palms
Had 79 off the back markers.
Greens slow ( been cored/scarified 3-4 weeks ago)
6600 metres longgggg

Is a damm tuff track with narrow as hell greens.

Not for the feint hearted

37 points on the weekend. 17 on front 9 which could have better if it wasn't for a 4 putt and 3 3 putts. Sitting on 31 handicap at moment hoping to get it down to mid 20's with some more consistent driving and putting.
I play most weeks with a couple of mates who are both off 11-12. The main difference I see them to me is hitting more fairways and making those stupid 4-6 foot putts.
Also talent. They appear to have more talent

37 points on the weekend. 17 on front 9 which could have better if it wasn't for a 4 putt and 3 3 putts. Sitting on 31 handicap at moment hoping to get it down to mid 20's with some more consistent driving and putting.
I play most weeks with a couple of mates who are both off 11-12. The main difference I see them to me is hitting more fairways and making those stupid 4-6 foot putts.
Also talent. They appear to have more talent

being a carlton supporter you will always be behind in the talent stakes ;)

what i noticed about low handicappers are their ability to:

1. hit fairways
2. get on in regulation
3. if in trouble, get out of it in best possible way
4. get up and down
5. bunkers pose no threat
6. putt well
7. chip well
8. distance control with irons, consistency personified.
9. drive well

basically everything in golf lol

being a carlton supporter you will always be behind in the talent stakes ;)

what i noticed about low handicappers are their ability to:

1. hit fairways
2. get on in regulation
3. if in trouble, get out of it in best possible way
4. get up and down
5. bunkers pose no threat
6. putt well
7. chip well
8. distance control with irons, consistency personified.
9. drive well

basically everything in golf lol

In general

Course management

Yes all of those things as well. I thought I would just focus on the main areas where my ineptitude was at its finest.
One of them can maintain a solid stubbie a hole pace over 9 and not to much under for 18.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back