Your SuperCoach blanket rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I feel like I've missed something.

In 2013, Whitfield cost $199.5k descending in $5k increments to Simpson at $119.5k (base rookie price was $109.5k).
In 2012, Patton cost $196.6k descending in $5k increments to McKenzie at $111.6k (base rookie price was $106.6k).
In 2011, Swallow cost $188.6k descending in $5k increments to Atley at $108.6k (base rookie price was $103.6k).
In 2010, Scully cost $179.2k descending in $5k increments to Pittard at $108.6k (base rookie price was $94.2k).
In 2009, Watts cost $174.2k descending in $5k increments to Schoenmakers at $99.2k (base rookie price was $94.2k).

So nothing new in 2014 except that a levy was placed on mini-draft players.

So it should be simple to explain then. Feel free.

Check the price of Paddy McCartin and compare it to Whitfield, and you will figure it out.

Again, I feel like I've missed something.

In 2013, Whitfield cost $199.5k descending in $5k increments to Simpson at $119.5k (base rookie price was $109.5k).
In 2012, Patton cost $196.6k descending in $5k increments to McKenzie at $111.6k (base rookie price was $106.6k).
In 2011, Swallow cost $188.6k descending in $5k increments to Atley at $108.6k (base rookie price was $103.6k).
In 2010, Scully cost $179.2k descending in $5k increments to Pittard at $108.6k (base rookie price was $94.2k).
In 2009, Watts cost $174.2k descending in $5k increments to Schoenmakers at $99.2k (base rookie price was $94.2k).

So nothing new in 2014 except that a levy was placed on mini-draft players.
That might be so. But what is McCartin's price this year, compared to Whitfield's in 2013?

Think of it as inflation if you want.

My main blanket rule, and one I stated last year:

Unless he is an absolute must-have, you should never have more than 2 players from your own team in your SC side.

Too many times in my earlier years have I gone with Higgins, Tom Williams, Hargrave once he was past it, Brad Johnson once he was past it, Jarrad Grant :)oops:) and the like because they're in my team and they're "certain to break out".

This rule doesn't apply for, say, if you're a Collingwood fan and you have a combination of Pendles/Swan/Beams in your midfield two years ago, as well as H. Shaw down back.

Too many times you'll get burnt by your own team, and you'll convince yourself that since you watch your team you're far more well-informed and you know who's going to do well in SC this year.

This rule doesn't apply to SureBuddy14
Hahaha :)
It certainly does not. I agree with the rule, however if your team is a top 4 team you can seriously consider it. Hawks/Sydney/Port/Geelong etc.
Anyone else, forget it. By the time the season starts I predict myself to only have 3 Port starting players. Ryder, Wines & Gray.

That might be so. But what is McCartin's price this year, compared to Whitfield's in 2013?

Think of it as inflation if you want.
Yes, but the base rookie price has likewise been subject to inflation, which means that every year since 2009 you will have paid roughly the same for the number 1 draft pick relative to a base rookie (between 82 and 90 per cent more).

There are variations in the figure year on year but I don't see any relationship to a "draftee tax". For example, this year McCartin at $222.3k costs ~90% more than a base rookie; in 2010, Scully at $179.2 cost ~90% more than a base rookie.

I agree with Ashton Agar about struggling to find value in top 10 rookies for the purposes of appreciation, I just don't think it's any more relevant in the past couple of years than it has been in seasons past.

Yes, but the base rookie price has likewise been subject to inflation, which means that every year since 2009 you will have paid roughly the same for the number 1 draft pick relative to a base rookie (between 82 and 90 per cent more).

There are variations in the figure year on year but I don't see any relationship to a "draftee tax". For example, this year McCartin at $222.3k costs ~90% more than a base rookie; in 2010, Scully at $179.2 cost ~90% more than a base rookie.

I agree with Ashton Agar about struggling to find value in top 10 rookies for the purposes of appreciation, I just don't think it's any more relevant in the past couple of years than it has been in seasons past.
Everything you have said is correct.
The one thing you are overlooking is the increase rookie price's relationship with the 10mil salary cap, and the cap hasn't changed.

Everything you have said is correct.
The one thing you are overlooking is the increase rookie price's relationship with the 10mil salary cap, and the cap hasn't changed.
No, I haven't overlooked it - I said for the purposes of appreciation, it's no more relevant.

For purposes of cash flow and spending within the cap, it's of course very relevant.

No, I haven't overlooked it - I said for the purposes of appreciation, it's no more relevant.

For purposes of cash flow and spending within the cap, it's of course very relevant.
Quite right, 'overlooking' was an unfair slight

Another thing guys that play one game the year before price goes up the following year.Shenton went from 115 to 155 with only playing one game the year before.
Jordan Bourke rookie priced to almost 300k this year from one game of 90.
Yeah, hate that. See also Mason Wood this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rule 1 pick gaj
rule 2 hate defenders
rule 3 pick a defence gamble or 2

There's quite a few I want to pick, but don't have the stones to do it. I know if I do, it'll take me 6 trades to fix the bloody mess:rolleyes:

I currently have 5 im looking at...could be a new gamble record for me
There's some great ones there if they all work you'd be a genius. Henderson, Pearce, Ibbotson, Yeo, Waters. A few others. I can only bring myself to take Waters at this stage

Wan't to have a look at Jamie MacMillan over the NAB series as well

There's fasolo goodes and others.
the pain the excitement the pain
i always feel brave in February

I generally never trade in premiums during the year when they are at top dollar no matter how well they are going. Always bring in fallen premiums. Can finish my team off using less trades and usually allows for much better bench depth by years end.

Also I never trade out premium players even if they are having a bad year. Just keep upgrading around them and eventually you can push them to the bench as backup when your team is completed if they are still scoring below par.

Has worked well for me over the years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back