Your SuperCoach blanket rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

1. Trust your gut; if your keen on somebody or some kinda POD do it and not let people talk you out of it. Has happened to me many times which I regret.

2. Rage trading (looking at you JM)

3. Trading players at 9pm or whatever time SC opens up on Sunday night.. Bad bad idea.

Add to that, trading after having a few brewskis.

1. Trust your gut; if your keen on somebody or some kinda POD do it and not let people talk you out of it. Has happened to me many times which I regret.

2. Rage trading (looking at you JM)

3. Trading players at 9pm or whatever time SC opens up on Sunday night.. Bad bad idea.

Being able to reverse has eased the pain here a bit.

Some of these are hardly revelations, but here goes...

• Number 1. Go with your gut, there is nothing worse in SC than following the herd and picking a dud.

• Don't pick anyone over the age of 30 (for Round 1)

• Don't pick a defender over 500k (Unless it is a Goddard/Giibbs/Deledio type)

• Don't pick a forward over 550k

• Try to keep an open mind over picking players who have burnt you in the past* ala Wingard and Minson. Sometimes a new year is a new opportunity, look at Jacobs and Dusty.

• If you are having trouble splitting two midfielders, look at their tackle stats.

* unless it is Josh "Sh!t Truck" Caddy

• Number 1. Go with your gut, there is nothing worse in SC than following the herd and picking a dud.

• Don't pick anyone over the age of 30 (for Round 1)

• Don't pick a defender over 500k (Unless it is a Goddard/Giibbs/Deledio type)

• Don't pick a forward over 550k

• Try to keep an open mind over picking players who have burnt you in the past* ala Wingard and Minson. Sometimes a new year is a new opportunity, look at Jacobs and Dusty.

• If you are having trouble splitting two midfielders, look at their tackle stats.

So no Ablett, and none of Gray, Bartel, Swan or Harvey in you FWD line?

My bad.... found it elsewhere

Do your research, use old SC statistics, AFL site, footywire, Prospectus etc, form a basis on who you will be selecting and who is on your watchlist

Go with your head and not your heart, picking sentimental favourites isn't always the way to go (unless they're guns/SC royalty like GAJ, Pendles etc). Don't load up on players from the team you barrack for unless your team is definitely fantasy relevant etc Essendon, Collingwood.

Don't load up on mid pricers - that's AFL Fantasy cash grabbing tactics there, if mid pricers are to be selected they are to be keepers on the basis of having breakout years, if not then keep them as cash cows and dump when they are maxed out. If you're only going in with 10 keepers there's a whole lot of extra trades needed in order to finish your side before the injuries come and hurt us, we would need to start with at least 12 keepers, 14-15 if we're lucky. Mid pricers are for insurance/affordable bench cover once your team is finished coming into the back third of the season and the rookie streams have dried up.

DPPs in midfield, absolute pet hate of mine - seriously we have 3 bench midfielders this year, no need to load up our starting squads on mid/fwd types as security picks in midfield, pick the player best suited for their position. Straight midfielders will always average more than DPPs, pick your DPPs in defence or the forward line. The only security pick of any benefit is the old ruck/fwd swap between R3 and F8 if a ruck happens to goes down late in the year and we're light on trades.

Bench coverage - bloody important late in the year, players like Anthony Miles saved my backside last season during the round 21-23 horror fest when everyone went down/was suspended. I had JPK and Fyfe stuck on my bench while Zac O'Brien and Miles were scoring 100s in round 23.

Outside of your uber premiums, pick durable types likely to play 20-22 H and A games a year and are not serial late withdrawal/rest types, unless someone like a Beau Waters is available on the cheap and won't hurt too bad if they miss games.

Don't rage trade under performing premiums early in the season, hold them and upgrade maxed out rookies instead, you will lose a heap of cash trying to find a better replacement if you do rage trade. Under performing premos are useful D7/M9/F7 types once our teams are finished later in the season.

Upgrading through the MBRs is a must, we have 3 trades each week to be used then, take advantage of it properly and make sure you plan for the byes correctly, panic trading through the byes due to a shortage of 18 available players is just poor squad management.

He'll come good next year, Gary Rohan on the other hand :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still can't forgive Heater for 2011. Traded him in, next minute suspended for the rest of the season. Even with fewer defensive options, it's a no from me.

Last edited:
Still can't forgive Heater for 2011. Traded him in, next minute suspended for the rest of the season. Even with fewer defensive options, it's a no from me.

Hard too ignore his consistency though, should be good for top 10 finishes, and has managed to top the ton average before.

No one over 28 yrs old unless
  • their initials are GAJ
  • they are well undervalued.
  • i.e. I will not even touch Swan or Griffen this year - too much risk for me.

No one over 28 yrs old unless
  • their initials are GAJ
  • they are well undervalued.
  • i.e. I will not even touch Swan or Griffen this year - too much risk for me.

Thats an unusual number.

Other than Swan and Griffen.

No, Simpson, Goddard, Waton, Mummy, Enright, Bartel, Lewis, SDT, Maric or Franklin

Thats an unusual number.

Other than Swan and Griffen.

No, Simpson, Goddard, Waton, Mummy, Enright, Bartel, Lewis, SDT, Maric or Franklin
Correct - I may make an exception for Buddy and Maric as I think they will increase scoring this year.
Buddy started very slowly in his new environment last year and Maric missed start of the season injured and took quite a while to get going.

Correct - I may make an exception for Buddy and Maric as I think they will increase scoring this year.
Buddy started very slowly in his new environment last year and Maric missed start of the season injured and took quite a while to get going.

Goddard was actually the one I thought you would make an exception for.

1. Pick GAJ - even if he depreciates in value - he's just so much better than the other captain options out there.
2. Give due consideration to the bye rounds. This mainly always comes back to the midfield as for the other lines it rarely matters too much. I do try and get ruckman from different lines though.
3. Look for value in all your selections (ie players who will appreciate or at least premiums who will hold their price). The only possible exceptions is the ultra premiums in the midfield - the likes of GAJ, Pendlebury, Selwood etc - I am probably willing to compromise a little for them.
4. Be very weary when selecting 2nd year players that have played games in the previous season. Basically they need to be an amazing prospect for me to consider them. Pretty much they have to shown themselves to be capable of really high scores and at the same time be priced cheaply due to injuries/playing as sub AND i need to believe that those injury/sub games won't re-occur.
5. Don't pick first year KP's - just not worth it.
6. First round draft picks - now that the pricing is so annoying don't pay over $180K for the rookies and be really weary paying over $130K for a first year rookie (sure if its O'Meara go ahead - but he is the exception not the rule). In most cases there are cheaper rookies that will do just as well in terms of cash appreciation.
7. Don't pick the perennially injured guys: The Rioli's, Gumbleton's, Higgins, Morabito's, Rohan's of the AFL.

I wish i had followed all these rules in previous years but sometimes you need to be burned with some of this stuff so that you can decide not to do it again.

Goddard was actually the one I thought you would make an exception for.
I think players that are fully priced at this age are a big risk.
I would expect the majority of these guys will miss games with soft tissue injuries or "The General" during the year.
Would rather spend my money where I thought I would get 22 games and an increase in average scores.

Everybody's forgotten the No.1 blanket rule of last year...
AVOID players that Judd_Magic trades in. Destined to fail.

I always have a bad tendency of chasing the hot streak and paying top dollar for players only to watch them drop hard. I'll probably end up repeating that one o_O

Take some consideration of the byes but don't let it dictate your starting lineup. So much can happen up to rd11. Look to upgrade players to suit your bye structure leading up to it.

Last edited:
Everybody's forgotten the No.1 blanket rule of last year...
AVOID players that Judd_Magic trades in. Destined to fail.

I always have a bad tendency of chasing the hot streak and paying top dollar for players only to watch them drop hard. I'll probably end up repeating that one o_O

Take some consideration of the byes but don't let it dictate your starting lineup. So much can happen up to rd11. Look to upgrade players to suit your bye structure leading up to it.

Hello Mr Montagna. Big lesson learned for me last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back