Your top 5 current PS3/Xbomb(box) games

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone explain GoW2 to me please. By all reports it sounds pretty popular.

I had a look at some screenshots yesterday and it looked...not great. BUT i wasnt looking hard and im not one to form an opinion on some screenshots lol.

I had a look at some screenshots yesterday and it looked...not great. BUT i wasnt looking hard and im not one to form an opinion on some screenshots lol.

There's about 1 million better places to read about the GoW series than here. Got a link to these not looking good screenshots?

Explain Gears 2 you? In what sense? The story? The gameplay? Be more specific.

It's all a matter of personal taste, sure, but for anyone to say that Gears graphics are no good (whether they like the game or not) is just plain crazy. The graphics are amazing.

They have improved over Gears 1 (which was amazing in it's own right) but where they have really improved it is the lighting. The lighting is absolutely phenominal.

Looking at stills, or even Youtube clips, does no justice for any game. Nothing compares to seeing it in 50" Full HD goodness.

Just go to JB, they have them set up in the display windows ATM.

I'm only at chapter 2 and can confidently say it is one of the (if not the) best games I've played.

Nothing like cutting a locust in half with the chainsaw bayonet on your rifle.

The multiplayer is a bit of an acquired taste, and not your traditional MP game. For the most part, it is 4 v 4 (well, 5 v 5 now with gears 2) and the majority of game modes have no respawns, so once you're dead, you spectate until the next round. The point of it is to be more tactical.

This is the same with the SP campaign as well. It is definitely not a run 'n' gun game, particularly on the highest difficulty settings. It is about finding cover and tactically taking out the enemy. Blindfiring is exceptionally important for surpressing the enemy and then you can take them out.

The game is seriously on steriods, so much violence and brutality. Head shots galore, chainsawing in half (and the chainsaw duel in Gears 2), curb stomping the enemies head off a la American History X, Shot guns that blow the enemy into pieces and all sorts of brutal execution moves.

IMO, there isn't a lot (if anything) to dislike about Gears :thumbsu:

This is the same with the SP campaign as well. It is definitely not a run 'n' gun game, particularly on the highest difficulty settings. It is about finding cover and tactically taking out the enemy. Blindfiring is exceptionally important for surpressing the enemy and then you can take them out.

This is the most important thing. The game actually punishes you for being out of cover. Any hits on you while out of cover have far more weighting and cause more damage.

The best thing about gears, is that its a game series that's been developed by gamers for gamers. You could say that about a lot of games, but it's the honest truth with this one. Cliffy B, the head of epic games, admits himself that he's a crap artist and coder, but christ he has some great ideas.

Epic know what we want...and they deliver it in spades.

This is the most important thing. The game actually punishes you for being out of cover. Any hits on you while out of cover have far more weighting and cause more damage.

The best thing about gears, is that its a game series that's been developed by gamers for gamers. You could say that about a lot of games, but it's the honest truth with this one. Cliffy B, the head of epic games, admits himself that he's a crap artist and coder, but christ he has some great ideas.

Epic know what we want...and they deliver it in spades.

Gears of War 2, is one of the best games I have played this year.

Horde is so much fun with a group of mates online :thumbsu:

Finished Co-op last night and I'm already excited about the prospect of a Gears 3 :p

Gears of War 2, is one of the best games I have played this year.

Horde is so much fun with a group of mates online :thumbsu:

Finished Co-op last night and I'm already excited about the prospect of a Gears 3 :p

I haven't even finished the SP campaign yet and I'm excited about the prospect of Gears 3 :p

Whilst I think there will no doubt be more Gears already planned, Cliffy B has said that as long as gamers want / buy gears, he will keep making them :D

Yes, and Epic are going to say no to their biggest money maker?

Cliffy B made Epic
I highly doubt that they will not want to continue making GOW, its a guaranteed money maker and is fast becoming one of the top gaming franchises ever and probably the biggest ATM IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course they wouldn't say no, I wasn't commenting on that.

Though I think the 3 years Tim Sweeney spent working on the original Unreal engine in his garage was a big component.

Sorry LLD, I went back and read the post were Mancey referred to Cliffy B as head of epic.

You didn't quote and it appeared after our comments on more gears games in the future

I see what you meant though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back