Secondary ATAR results

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, plenty of people getting in the 90s on my facebook feed.

They all did sciences and so put in hard work. Well done to them.

80.95, **** me, talk about a close call! but got there in the end. scaling saved my life :heart:

sticking through chem and maths 3a/b really does pay off.....

I wouldn't say that is too true. I know quite a few people who are undergoing internships in large finance and accounting firms such as Ernst & Young and KPMG, and I'm told most of the people who are being accepted into these very competitive internships are Melbourne University students. If not Melb Uni, then Monash, but very few RMIT, Swinburne or Deakin students. In fact I am not aware of anyone at these firms from a University outside of Melbourne and Monash.

There are deals done with these firms to do internship intake with these universities. Two of my friends did it who both attended Melbourne and a guy I know who facilitates this program said this is the case. Further another man I know who is now in senior management has said this happens. Deakin has deals with other firms such as Deloitte and many mid tier firms. It was ironic to hear though that many of the grads and internshipm cfadets realise quickly they do not want to work for this type of organisation with one even likening it to a young adult sweatshop.

There are deals done with these firms to do internship intake with these universities. Two of my friends did it who both attended Melbourne and a guy I know who facilitates this program said this is the case. Further another man I know who is now in senior management has said this happens. Deakin has deals with other firms such as Deloitte and many mid tier firms. It was ironic to hear though that many of the grads and internshipm cfadets realise quickly they do not want to work for this type of organisation with one even likening it to a young adult sweatshop.
The thing is, a certain level of elitism and bias does exist amongst lots of the big firms, a lot of the individuals at these firms are from these Go8 uni's and whilst some factors are more important, what university someone attend is often a big factor.
In terms of working like a sweatshop, it depends on who you are with. Some big firms will make you work hard, full time, but pay you big. I was once offered an internship for a small no-name company to work full time for 3 months with no pay, which is pretty slaveworthy.

Hit 73.40 which should be enough to get into Curtin in WA. Hoping to do journalism or mass communication. I know it's not the best ATAR, but hey, I'm content.

Yeh I made so many dumb subject selections.

Health was OK but boring and didn't engage enough with it.
I didn't need to do Further Maths but thought it might be useful. Another one I couldn't be bothered with.
Changing into PE in Year 11 to drop it come Year 12..

I regret not doing Drama, which I was always good at and enjoyed at lower levels. I do a bit of psych study at uni and find that pretty fascinating as well and in hindsight should have done that as a 3/4.

Current year 12s: Don't stress brah. My 71 had made me a pretty happy person, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm transferring next year and my uni results (which have been really good, all distinctions, one HD) are all that matter these days. Don't listen to the hyperbole or threats of teachers. I personally found it hard to draw inspiration from their Churchillian speeches... how can someone who scored an equivalent of 50-65 be doling out advice? Mlegh.

Enjoy yourselves, go out every so often, and don't stress yourself out or feel sick. It's easy to get caught up in the hype of it all, but don't worry. Give it what you've got, but only go as far as you feel comfortable. School is not worth the hassle.

Yeh I made so many dumb subject selections.

Health was OK but boring and didn't engage enough with it.
I didn't need to do Further Maths but thought it might be useful. Another one I couldn't be bothered with.
Changing into PE in Year 11 to drop it come Year 12..

I regret not doing Drama, which I was always good at and enjoyed at lower levels. I do a bit of psych study at uni and find that pretty fascinating as well and in hindsight should have done that as a 3/4.

Here's a tip for all involved. Who cares if you enjoy the subject or not, if you can dominate it and it doesn't get scaled down by more than 2-3, sack up and do it, you can do something you don't enjoy for 1 year of schooling. I'm not saying go out and pick subjects you despise, but don't pass up on an easy 40+ study score because you don't 'enjoy' it.

I'm done with Year 12 now and in Second Year Uni but I think to a certain extent if you can engage with a subject and you find it comes naturally, you should pursue it. From my experience, you're more likely to do well in a subject if you enjoy it.

I'm glad Year 12 is done though. The uni life certainly is much less stressful and competitive.

I much prefer to motivate myself than have the unnecessary pressure of an ATAR score.

I'm done with Year 12 now and in Second Year Uni but I think to a certain extent if you can engage with a subject and you find it comes naturally, you should pursue it. From my experience, you're more likely to do well in a subject if you enjoy it.

I'm glad Year 12 is done though. The uni life certainly is much less stressful and competitive.

I much prefer to motivate myself than have the unnecessary pressure of an ATAR score.

unless you're trying to get into an extremely competitive postgrad :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who didn't do any homework in the last 2 years of high school and did every assignment the night before it was due: Don't sweat the small stuff.

If you are a dunce, you will be found out in the end, and if you're a talented lazy ****, then you will still get the grades you need.

Worse case scenario, when submitting your course preferences, just chuck a stooge course on the bottom of your list at your ideal Uni, and just sign up for some units in your desired course. Score decent grades and you've shown you're up to standard. Once you're in, you can more or less do whatever you want, Uni is easier than High School :D, by a long long way.

If all else fails, wait until you are 20-21 and try to get in as a mature aged student. If you are capable of passing Uni, you will pass the entry test.

Relaaaaaxxxxxxxxx, it's all under control :D

Yep, plenty of people getting in the 90s on my facebook feed.

They all did sciences and so put in hard work. Well done to them.
lol people actually put them on facebook.

In year 12 now, never gave a s**t about my ATAR, hence why I spent so much time on Bigfooty. Didn't apply myself, did only what was required and cant be assed with uni. Looking at a diploma in banking since I'd like to start off as a bank teller in about 2-3 years. Not aiming high, but I have the connections to get in. Went to the open day a few days back and when I told the women I was completing high school, she asked why I was going to TAFE. Felt like a dumbass but I was taking the easy way out.

Right now I'm looking at an ATAR of around 70-75. Can't wait for all the yaaaaaaaay ATAR 90.95, Life is good!! <3 xoxo :) statuses. Will s**t me off initially but its my own fault, yet it still wont really bother me.

JCP I wouldn't stress mate, I was much the same... Although I was lucky enough that I still got into my #1 preference.

Year 12 does not mean much at all. Scores do not translate into results/money into the future like many believe.

Contacts/networking is vital, as is common sense. If you've got these two things scores at Uni/Tafe are largely irrelevant.

In year 12 now, never gave a s**t about my ATAR, hence why I spent so much time on Bigfooty. Didn't apply myself, did only what was required and cant be assed with uni. Looking at a diploma in banking since I'd like to start off as a bank teller in about 2-3 years. Not aiming high, but I have the connections to get in. Went to the open day a few days back and when I told the women I was completing high school, she asked why I was going to TAFE. Felt like a dumbass but I was taking the easy way out.

Right now I'm looking at an ATAR of around 70-75. Can't wait for all the yaaaaaaaay ATAR 90.95, Life is good!! <3 xoxo :) statuses. Will s**t me off initially but its my own fault, yet it still wont really bother me.

The banking/commerce sort of area is more reliant on the experience you get after your degree than the degree itself, going to a top uni is only important in certain fields

what people don't realise is that uni is completely different to school, i have a lot of friends that only just squeezed through and are know getting distinctions at uni, and friends who got high 90's who are now struggling and not understanding a thing. actually pretty enjoyable watching the people that got super arrogant after blitzing year 12 only to then be crushed when they realised how different everything becomes....

JCP I wouldn't stress mate, I was much the same... Although I was lucky enough that I still got into my #1 preference.

Year 12 does not mean much at all. Scores do not translate into results/money into the future like many believe.

Contacts/networking is vital, as is common sense. If you've got these two things scores at Uni/Tafe are largely irrelevant.

Cheers mate. My school emphasizes on the importance of an ATAR score regularly, always saying that getting a job is something to worry about after. Its still important I guess, just not as important as most think (especially my school).

The banking/commerce sort of area is more reliant on the experience you get after your degree than the degree itself, going to a top uni is only important in certain fields

As all things, hopefully the experience comes in time. I think the diploma at TAFE puts me in a business environment as a part of the course, so that should help me out for the time being.

what people don't realise is that uni is completely different to school, i have a lot of friends that only just squeezed through and are know getting distinctions at uni, and friends who got high 90's who are now struggling and not understanding a thing. actually pretty enjoyable watching the people that got super arrogant after blitzing year 12 only to then be crushed when they realised how different everything becomes....

Good to know, I can already foresee some of the arrogant idiots flaunting their ATAR scores. Good to know that year 12 doesn't mean everything for Uni.

As all things, hopefully the experience comes in time. I think the diploma at TAFE puts me in a business environment as a part of the course, so that should help me out for the time being.
Went/currently going down a similar path, in my 2nd year of my advanced diploma at tafe (computer systems). There are a few reasons I wanted to go to tafe over uni:

- First off it's much cheaper so if you decide the course isn't for you it isn't going to be as $$$ (wasn't 100% certain I wanted to follow the path I chose so starting off in tafe seemed like a great option for me)

- If you do drop out midway you usually get a cert III after 6 months and IV after a year so you won't be walking away without anything for your efforts.

-It's more of a work related environment (as in you're doing more practical things you'd be doing in a job like situation compared to focusing on theory alone) in which I prefer since you get to see exactly how/why you're doing the things you're learning about.

-Finally, if you decide that you really enjoy this course and want to go further, you can usually get a fair few things (correct term not coming to mind at the moment) crossed off. Again, using my course as an example, 20 of the 30 subjects that uni students need to pass to get the degree are crossed off after completing my course and transferring over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back