Zephi Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/w...article/tabid/4112/newsid/151096/default.aspx

The Western Bulldogs today announced the retirement of forwardZephaniah Skinner.
Drafted from Northern Territory Thunder with pick 88 in the 2010 National Draft, Skinner played eight career games and kicked five goals in two seasons at the Kennel.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/w...article/tabid/4112/newsid/151096/default.aspx

Real shame. You can't pass judgement on a bloke when he's played 8 games of AFL and about half of them as a sub. Apart from his cardio and natural fitness, there was a definite x-factor about him and I honestly believe, with his massive leap and his sound judgement, he could have been a serviceable player.

Not really shocked. He was probably informed that he would be delisted following the exhibition match and, as with Djekkurra, he decided to go out on his own terms. Best of luck to him in the future and in his future endeavours.

Story mentions he is going back home to his Kimberly community - sounds like he wanted to jump out and go home

All the best Zeph

As others have said, no big surprise. He was a bit of a wildcard selection, occasionally showed a bit, but probably a fraction short of being at the requisite level for AFL footy, which is no embarassment.

Are you an AFL time waster?
Come to the Western Bulldogs!
We'll invest time and effort into your career that will be over before it even starts.

Not a knock on Zeph as such, good luck to him.
But with him, DJ and Schofield, we've put a bunch of games into guys who have left for sweet FA.
Total of 36 games between them, which is basically a season and a half of senoir development that could have gone elsewhere.

I mean, it's one thing to be rebuilding, it's another to be pissing time out the window. Then we just cut blokes like Panos and Tiller for the sake of it. Stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck to him. Having said that I'm very pleased he won't be on the list next season. Not even close to being a competitive afl footballer.

What are the suggestions on how we use the additional 6 list spaces??

1. 6 national draft selections (not including hunter). Seems too many.
2. 5 national draft selections and one mature age player (toy) in the pre season draft? Possibly, but would mean we're selecting a player at pick 87 in the draft. Is that tooooooo low? Maybe.
3. Upgrade an additional rookie? Not for me. If Jong and Austin are happy to have another year on the rookie list, why upgrade them.
4. Or do we make 4 national draft selections and make 2 pre-season draft selections? Take toy and one other??

I'd probably roll with option 2.

Well what a shame....I was hoping he could make it....so much to like about him. Seemed like a great guy. I suspected that the AFL was not going to be for him at times last year, but I hoped. I reckon he gave it every chance for himself.....but it wasn't in him. Wish him all the best and thank him for having a dip.

Good luck to him. Having said that I'm very pleased he won't be on the list next season. Not even close to being a competitive afl footballer.

What are the suggestions on how we use the additional 6 list spaces??

1. 6 national draft selections (not including hunter). Seems too many.
2. 5 national draft selections and one mature age player (toy) in the pre season draft? Possibly, but would mean we're selecting a player at pick 87 in the draft. Is that tooooooo low? Maybe.
3. Upgrade an additional rookie? Not for me. If Jong and Austin are happy to have another year on the rookie list, why upgrade them.
4. Or do we make 4 national draft selections and make 2 pre-season draft selections? Take toy and one other??

I'd probably roll with option 2.

Yeah....good question. I reckon we go with a rookie up grade if we can't get a youngster like Toy.

Are you an AFL time waster?
Come to the Western Bulldogs!
We'll invest time and effort into your career that will be over before it even starts.

Not a knock on Zeph as such, good luck to him.
But with him, DJ and Schofield, we've put a bunch of games into guys who have left for sweet FA.
Total of 36 games between them, which is basically a season and a half of senoir development that could have gone elsewhere.

I mean, it's one thing to be rebuilding, it's another to be pissing time out the window. Then we just cut blokes like Panos and Tiller for the sake of it. Stupid.

Great measured post. You could say I don't belong on this forum, which is perfectly fine but I do have a very keen interest in the dogs with family members supporting the dogs.

What I don't understand is why has this been announced now? Why not a month ago, two months ago? Is it the kids lack of knowledge of the game and how its run, ie with draft periods and list lodgements, really shown here with him announcing it after you have announced delisting such as Panos who I really thought should have got a gig before Skinner and Panos is also so young!! Or is it the clubs fault and not putting enough time in to Skinner, where we all know that majority of the Indeginous talent find it tough to be in the AFL environment?

It really confuses me when decisions like this come out.

Great measured post. You could say I don't belong on this forum, which is perfectly fine but I do have a very keen interest in the dogs with family members supporting the dogs.

What I don't understand is why has this been announced now? Why not a month ago, two months ago? Is it the kids lack of knowledge of the game and how its run, ie with draft periods and list lodgements, really shown here with him announcing it after you have announced delisting such as Panos who I really thought should have got a gig before Skinner and Panos is also so young!! Or is it the clubs fault and not putting enough time in to Skinner, where we all know that majority of the Indeginous talent find it tough to be in the AFL environment?

Your confusion is obvious. Perhaps you should go back to the Essendon board - I'm sure you will be less confused there.

Maybe Panos just wasn't up to it?

Also it's been a few years since Tiller played for us.

What I don't understand is why has this been announced now? Why not a month ago, two months ago?

Two months ago Skinner was still committed to play. He has had one session of preseason training and decided he's had enough.

What's there to be confused about?

Your confusion is obvious. Perhaps you should go back to the Essendon board - I'm sure you will be less confused there.
Do we really need to give the big send off to posters from other teams that come on here and make genuine comments mutt??? Really annoys me when I go onto another teams board for a genuine discussion and the token "go back to your own board buddy" line comes out.

Two months ago Skinner was still committed to play. He has had one session of preseason training and decided he's had enough.

What's there to be confused about?
Yeah I guess you are right, nothing to be confused about at all, I guess it comes down to how mentally weak the kid is then, great for the club as well, delisting a bloke, second day of pre-season, could have given Panos another year and given him a run in the ones to help out the pathetic forward setup you blokes have.

As for that Mutt bloke, don't worry mate last time I'll come on here and I wont be renewing my membership with the dogs for this year, wish the club all the success.

Do we really need to give the big send off to posters from other teams that come on here and make genuine comments mutt??? Really annoys me when I go onto another teams board for a genuine discussion and the token "go back to your own board buddy" line comes out.
Thanks mate, but it always seem to happen here, I actually give a s**t about the bulldogs and have had a membership for the last 3 seasons, my old man, uncle, brother and two mates all go for the dogs and sometimes go to more dogs games than Essendon, but honestly I cannot be bothered with coming on here and getting abused when I just try and state a few points and ask a couple questions, ah well s**t happens ay

Good luck to him, always had that x factor but AFL level was just too far.

This is really going to be a defining pre season for our club, 3 mutual terminations of players who aren't in the best 22, picks 5, 6 & 22 (that could go higher), and hopefully a solid pre season from players like Morris & Cooney to slot right back in.

I'm tipping we leave 2 picks for the PSD, all good if we get Toy that way but with Zephi gone maybe we will replace him with another forward such as Cook, if he wants and can play the Macca way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back