Rumour Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather be going hard on Dayle Gartlett. Younger, more talented. and will cost less than half what Betts will.

whether we can snap him up in the draft is another question.

Still livid we didnt get him in last years draft. could've got him with our last pick and fkd him off if he didnt behave. Almost zero downside.

I'd rather be going hard on Dayle Gartlett.
To get Dayle Garlett we do not need to "go hard". We simply need to use a draft pick on him, which is likely to be past the 3rd round.

I'd be surprised if there was a player on our list paid 600k a year.

I reckon Swallow and Petrie would be on about 500k, Petrie maybe less, as he just signed his final contract.

I'd be willing to pay him 400-500, as long as we could front load alot of into next year, Ziebell, Cunnington, Bastinac, Black etc are all improving steadily, in the next 3-4 years they will be as good as Swallow and Petrie are currently, and will all demand pretty big cheques.

Betts and LT would be a lethal combination imo, they are similar in some regards, they are both strong above their head for their size and both kill ordinary defenders.

Most sides don't have 2 quality small defenders, especially if they have to devote a quality medium/tall to Black.

nqqvie1.jpeg

Dumb%2Band%2BDumber%2B2%2BMovie.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if it's already been posted, but Carlton is currently in dispute with Betts's management regarding the new contract. The fact he is a free agent this year, and is reportedly a mate of LT and is a type of player we need has been discussed here plenty of times.

Apparently, his management has asked for 600k a season, which Carlton is refusing to entertain. That's fair enough, as the amount does seem excessive. But it could be just a prelude to creating a situation that will lead to him leaving? How much is he worth? I would guess maybe around the 400k mark? How much would we be willing to pay, to tempt him out of Carlton, given that we won't have to provide any player as a compensation? I'd say, maybe up to 100k more just for that.

And make no mistake, we DO need a quality small forward, who isn't the same type as LT. To have both of them in our forward line would add plenty to the side IMO.

I agree. He's a bit of a knob but he'd be OK if he were our knob.

Don't we already have a potent forward line?

IMO if we are spending that sort of cash it should be plunged on D.Thomas and draft the best crumbing forward pocket left in the ND (in the mould of Ballantyne/P. Matera/Milne) with our last pick or rookie.

That said if we got Dayle Garlett with a mid pick I would be rapt!

Imagine adding;
LMac
Garlett
D.Thomas to our list... sheeeet!!

Line up the silverware baby!

The days of small forwards who can't rotate through the midfield are gone. Even LT needs to be much better when he's up on the wing and needs longer in there. Watch the top three sides (and Freeo) on their use of smalls (and mids) both forward, midfield and back. You MUST be able to spend time in all three sections of the ground and you MUST be able to impact in that time. So no to Betts unless he's coming for $200 or less.

Not sure if it's already been posted, but Carlton is currently in dispute with Betts's management regarding the new contract. The fact he is a free agent this year, and is reportedly a mate of LT and is a type of player we need has been discussed here plenty of times.

Apparently, his management has asked for 600k a season, which Carlton is refusing to entertain. That's fair enough, as the amount does seem excessive. But it could be just a prelude to creating a situation that will lead to him leaving? How much is he worth? I would guess maybe around the 400k mark? How much would we be willing to pay, to tempt him out of Carlton, given that we won't have to provide any player as a compensation? I'd say, maybe up to 100k more just for that.

And make no mistake, we DO need a quality small forward, who isn't the same type as LT. To have both of them in our forward line would add plenty to the side IMO.

I'd be all over Betts and hope the club is.

We are crying out for a fall of the ball creative small forward.

Harper and Garner are slightly different types. Boomer rests forward but is deadly using his pace to break the lines. LT works one out most of the time. Adams does well at times but support won't hurt.

Getting Betts would make us exponentially more effective in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back