Traded 35. Jarrad Jansen (2014-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

All I could think from watching Jansen's highlights is "SMITHY", with some SJ-like reflexes. Looks pretty tough too. Quaint pick for the number 35 guernsey.

All I could think from watching Jansen's highlights is "SMITHY", with some SJ-like reflexes. Looks pretty tough too. Quaint pick for the number 35 guernsey.

It will be strange looking at the new players in jumpers when we have been accustomed to Chappy & josh hunts bulky builds

I think of all the '13 recruits, this lad is the one I'm most impressed with. Seems intelligent, humble and has a great attitude to learning. He appears quite focused on becoming the best player he can be, and realises that he has to take the wonderful opportunity he has been given with both hands.

His highlight reel is quite impressive too. I've said it before that he has a big frame for a kid, especially one who plays in the midfield. If he can add some bulk over the pre-season, and impress with the same skills which he showed in the champs at VFL level, he's a good chance of getting some games under his belt in 2014.

I think of all the '13 recruits, this lad is the one I'm most impressed with. Seems intelligent, humble and has a great attitude to learning. He appears quite focused on becoming the best player he can be, and realises that he has to take the wonderful opportunity he has been given with both hands.

His highlight reel is quite impressive too. I've said it before that he has a big frame for a kid, especially one who plays in the midfield. If he can add some bulk over the pre-season, and impress with the same skills which he showed in the champs at VFL level, he's a good chance of getting some games under his belt in 2014.

Was said to be 190cm at the U18 Carnival, but is now listed on GFC site at 193cms, that's one big midfielder we've got.
SC, ....was checking out Luke Dunstan one from your state, saints fans are talking about a round one appearance, he's made a huge impression but they should hold him back I reckon.
I think Jansen's our furthest advanced recruit, be interesting to see him in the NAB.

Was said to be 190cm at the U18 Carnival, but is now listed on GFC site at 193cms, that's one big midfielder we've got.
SC, ....was checking out Luke Dunstan one from your state, saints fans are talking about a round one appearance, he's made a huge impression but they should hold him back I reckon.
I think Jansen's our furthest advanced recruit, be interesting to see him in the NAB.
Luke Dunstan is an impressive kid. He's intelligent, courageous and has leadership in spades. He will probably captain the Saints one day should he develop into the player which he's billed to be. He was the captain of SA's National Championship winning team in 2013 after all, as I'm sure many here are aware of.

I have seen Luke play live once, and a few times on TV, all while he was playing as an underage in the SANFL seniors for Woodville-West Torrens. I saw him make a few crucial errors, and observed a few fundamental flaws with his game. Don't get me wrong, I do think he'll develop into a solid AFL player in time, but a round 1 debut? Either he's developed in every aspect over a single pre-season more than any other player in history, or St.Kilda are in even deeper shit than I ever thought possible.

Luke Dunstan is an impressive kid. He's intelligent, courageous and has leadership in spades. He will probably captain the Saints one day should he develop into the player which he's billed to be. He was the captain of SA's National Championship winning team in 2013 after all, as I'm sure many here are aware of.

I have seen Luke play live once, and a few times on TV, all while he was playing as an underage in the SANFL seniors for Woodville-West Torrens. I saw him make a few crucial errors, and observed a few fundamental flaws with his game. Don't get me wrong, I do think he'll develop into a solid AFL player in time, but a round 1 debut? Either he's developed in every aspect over a single pre-season more than any other player in history, or St.Kilda are in even deeper shit than I ever thought possible.

Not kidding about the round 1 debut, we'll see, but they reckon he pushes pretty big weights and already among the stronger bodies.
There's an article on saints recruits AFL.com, mainly Luke Delaney but the others all get a mention including Dunstan. As you remember I was hopeful Wells would select him, still our guy Lang looks likely but a way off compared to Dunstan.... built like a red brick outhouse.
He was supposed to be doing laboring work for a tradie I believe but the kid speaks with the confidence and craft of a veteran, easy the most articulate of their group, and that's saying something, Billings is pretty good to.

They had the next pick after and went Blake Acres from WA so they're wrapped with their draft, they also got Jack Billings Vic Metro Capt with their pick 3.
Also read some saying North's Trent Dumont one of the bargains of the draft at pick 30.

All the same I really like Jansen and Jake K, really keen kids both a very good size making them the versatile types we needed, considering our pick situation was a little compromised with the talent pool available.
Lang I think is a little more one dimensional but surely a big talent for Wells to pass over the saints two.

Tend to agree Strangled Cat and meto
Comes from a very solid family and has a great work ethic and is very coachable.
Quickest player over 20M at East Fremantle Colts and made a point of welcoming new Colts players at his last session before leaving for Geelong - just the sort of character we value as a Club.
Was back for Xmas and did a number of sessions at EF gym - he is loving it at the Cats. Draftees are being worked very hard and are doing weights, cardio and skills each day at the Cattery. The Swans are a lot easier on their draftees doing only one of the 3 each day.
Apparently Mitch Duncan is doing a truckload of extra work and is training with the draftees as well - good signs :thumbsu:

Love the NAB Cup, gives us a chance to see the likes of Jansen, the way he's traveling it'll be round 1.

Mitch would be a great mentor for young Jared both being WA boys playing midfield roles, I'm sure the club might've helped that one along. They'll be looking for Mitch Duncan to assume more leadership roles now he's a mature senior, it's time for added responsibility for him and good to see.
Thanks for the info F2G.:thumbsu:

St.Kilda are in even deeper shit than I ever thought possible.

I'd say this is pretty much the case... the saints will be rubbish for a few years I think.
And that depends on when Roo finishes up..bar Stevens their best players are Roo, Hayes and Joey... if they all finish up after this year they will go further back before coming forwards

I did not catch much of Friday's game. I have heard very little of Jansen so I suspect that he did not get hold of the ball to often. Anyone have anything to contribute on Jansen's game?

I did not catch much of Friday's game. I have heard very little of Jansen so I suspect that he did not get hold of the ball to often. Anyone have anything to contribute on Jansen's game?

Far better than I thought he would be. His size make him available to play from R1 but I suspect he will have to wait his time. As an attacking get ball then link player he shows as much potential as anyone we have drafted for some time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another big plus was Jansen's 15 possessions in 3/4's of rotational football, and 3-4 occasions where poor passing resulted in missed opportunity for more.
His confidence must be sky high after that, and Scottie very pleased.

Far better than I thought he would be. His size make him available to play from R1 but I suspect he will have to wait his time. As an attacking get ball then link player he shows as much potential as anyone we have drafted for some time.

He was the quickest over 20M at EF Colts last season so the kid has some serious wheels.
He played as 1st option from the stoppages as they had Cripps as the "extractor" and Jarrad used his bulk and speed to break free.
As you and Meto have said a very soild debut , his 3rd quarter was very good as he seemed to pick up on the tempo and presented really well.
Reckon he'll be terrific value at pick #36 :thumbsu:

He was the quickest over 20M at EF Colts last season so the kid has some serious wheels.
He played as 1st option from the stoppages as they had Cripps as the "extractor" and Jarrad used his bulk and speed to break free.
As you and Meto have said a very soild debut , his 3rd quarter was very good as he seemed to pick up on the tempo and presented really well.
Reckon he'll be terrific value at pick #36 :thumbsu:

My guess would be he is quite smart in a straight line but his agility , tight turning circle might be not quite as good as some we have drafted recently. Still the way you describe him gives me great hope. He will not alway be on the outside , certainly looks like someone that can handle the crunch of the inside game but when outside to have the pace at his size means he could be a strong weapon , bursting from packs especially if Simpson and Hmac can stay fit.
For the moment I suspect he will have to acclimatize to the "in play" speed and quality of players. Some strong games in the VFL will be good for him. Would you say he is normally a good decision maker? The more he plays with the other boys the better.

Will be unstoppable if Dawson continues this new found habit of putting balls on plates to our midfielders :D

Could see Simpson to Jansen becoming a staple for years to come...

Go Catters

My guess would be he is quite smart in a straight line but his agility , tight turning circle might be not quite as good as some we have drafted recently. Still the way you describe him gives me great hope. He will not alway be on the outside , certainly looks like someone that can handle the crunch of the inside game but when outside to have the pace at his size means he could be a strong weapon , bursting from packs especially if Simpson and Hmac can stay fit.
For the moment I suspect he will have to acclimatize to the "in play" speed and quality of players. Some strong games in the VFL will be good for him. Would you say he is normally a good decision maker? The more he plays with the other boys the better.

I think he is the classic Wells protype - great kid , terrific trainer , eager to learn , supportive family , highly skilled and , yes , good decision maker.
Not a lot between him and Cripps last season , Cripps a little more inside , Jarrad a little more outside but both capable of doing the reverse.
Regarding the other boys Turbocat - he is loving the Club and has settled really well.
At the moment I agree that burst spped and strength in a straight line is there but I think he may lean down a little over time and get stronger and with that gain greater agility - either that or he and Caddy will become our Bulls and moonlight as wrecking balls :)

Most impressed with his first outing, won clearances and used good hands to move ball on.
6 tackles suggests a willingness for hard work.
Quick and good decision making will make him one to watch, won't surprise to see him getting senior games this year

Most impressed with his first outing, won clearances and used good hands to move ball on.
6 tackles suggests a willingness for hard work.
Quick and good decision making will make him one to watch, won't surprise to see him getting senior games this year

Leading Geelong tackler says it all,...."yes" he's big and fast, the two aren't mutually exclusive.... we've got a ourselves a ripper!

Leading Geelong tackler says it all,...."yes" he's big and fast, the two aren't mutually exclusive.... we've got a ourselves a ripper!

love this bit of play here meto

0bb8.gif

That extra 2-3 inches of height will become a major factor for us in the years ahead :thumbsu:

Another big plus was Jansen's 15 possessions in 3/4's of rotational football, and 3-4 occasions where poor passing resulted in missed opportunity for more.
His confidence must be sky high after that, and Scottie very pleased.
I think the kid will be a gun in time. I'm very excited about this young West Aussie prospect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back