Mike "C-Bomb" Fitzpatrick

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess we just needed it to be written and printed, but it comes as absolutely no surprise that the AFL were trying to get Frankin to GWS.

Most Hawks fans heard as much at the time.

Interestingly, Dylan Shiel was involved in numerous talks with Vic clubs earlier this year, his family reportedly wanting him back in the state, then there was rumored to be a meeting with a few AFL suits and what do you know, Shiel re-signs with the Giants not long after.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

For sure - was a badly kept secret for sure. Just finding it interesting that this is coming out this week with other potentially AFL hurting news...

I have a hypothetical for you:

Say you're a decent Victorian player with a young family looking to get into the housing market.

Sydney come to you and offer you $400k/yr to move away from home for 3 seasons plus the standard $40k COLA.

Geelong also approach you and offer you $410k/yr for 3 seasons.

The median house price in Geelong is $450k. The price of the same sized house in a similar proximity in Sydney is $1.1 million. Assuming an interest rate of 5%, on which offer will you be financially better off at the end of your contract?

Don't worry, Im not expecting an answer anytime soon.

Take the money rent in Sydney and invest in Geelong.....

OOOOOR invest in Sydney and get a rate of return 2-3 times that of Geelong, which would you do then?

Or go and ask for a trade to Adelaide and buy a whole suburb (how many players have asked for/ done that)....

Either way your argument has massive holes

Mate, I am not in banking per se but do have a finance/economics background so can't answer your question with any certainty. Personally, unless you can demonstrate ongoing income I would think it would be quite tough. Someone like Buddy Franklin wouldn't have issues due to length of contract and associated income but I would be inclined to say that your mid-bottom level contracts would struggle to satisfy many loan criteria.

Yeah, that was my feeling too (based on common sense). Would be interesting to know how many are renting as opposed to buying/investing - you'd think lots of players living "away from home" would be renting.

Sydney are happy that COLA (as we knew it) is gone.

We're not happy that the AFL is manipulating the competition and tampering with trade rules to suit themselves.

The Swans trade ban is an absolute farce.

The trade ban isn't a farce, however is should be more flexible allowing for goodwill in efforts of Sydney to get below normal TPP

ie a trade that involves reducing TPP should be allowed.

Yeah, that was my feeling too (based on common sense). Would be interesting to know how many are renting as opposed to buying/investing - you'd think lots of players living "away from home" would be renting.

Yep, I think that's right.

This is where clubs need to provide good financial guidance to players. I am always disappointed to hear/read stories such as Brent Guerra's or Travis Johnstone's where they had decent careers on good money and pissed most or all of it away.

The trade ban isn't a farce, however is should be more flexible allowing for goodwill in efforts of Sydney to get below normal TPP

I wouldnt mind that, if your TPP reduces overall in the trade then the 350k restriction is lifted and there cant be too many complaints.

Also did anyone get what Eddie was on about this morning?

I think the point a lot of Sydney/Fremantle/Geelong posters are conveniently missing is, maybe Hawthorn aren't the AFL's lovechild after all and it's a public example of how they were trying to screw us, not help us. Similar to the 2012 Preliminary Final debacle!

Agree completely with your idea that Sydney should be allowed to trade with a view to reducing TPP. That's why the trade ban serves no reasonable purpose. The AFL wanted Sydney to come under the standard salary cap sooner, then prohibited them from using a key tool that could have helped them do so?

In it's current format it's definitely a farce. The only reason it exists is so that Sydney couldn't land any big names to improve their list. We could land two average names for the same money and the AFL has no problem. So it doesn't fix any issue in terms of TPP.

I think the point a lot of Sydney/Fremantle/Geelong posters are conveniently missing is, maybe Hawthorn aren't the AFL's lovechild after all and it's a public example of how they were trying to screw us, not help us. Similar to the 2012 Preliminary Final debacle!
The AFL shouldn't have been trying to move Buddy. I think the point most of us are making is that the AFL shouldn't be meddling in list management issues at all.

Mike Fitzpatrick comes out of this looking better than Richard Colless.
The leak was a bad PR move by the Swans. They've just united the other 17 clubs closer together.

Agreed.
And let's not forget how successful people have been upsetting City Hall in the past....Right Albert?
Hawthorn were made to pay for the sins of Kennett's mouth long after he'd left the club!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

COLA hasn't been abolished - in fact it has been retained in a far more sensible way

It has been converted from straight out contract loading favouring the higher paid players, to supporting the lower paid players who need the support.

The change is based on logic and sense, Sydney just seem unhappy they aren't getting their unfair advantage over the rest of the comp
Sydney dont care about the cola being removed. What they care about is our ability to trade players has been taken away from us

So are people happy that the AFL is acting to poach star players and send them to clubs they own?

They are meant to be the competition regulator and have no agendas outside running the game and applying the rules evenly to all clubs, not just their favourites.

If you believe what Colless has said the AFL has breached its own rules by:

1. Working to poach a player outside the trade window.

2. Using third party deals to get around the salary cap

It also confirms that the AFL trades clubs off against each other and does dirty deals to get their way. And then when they do not get their way they turn around and take revenge (ban on Sydney trading for players, removal of COLA).

How can the clubs sit back and allow this to go on? They are the only ones with the power to put an end to this crap by uniting and forcing changes. The commission was put in place to be independent, it is now clear that it is not, it is hopelessly compromised.

Get rid of them.

The AFL shouldn't have been trying to move Buddy. I think the point most of us are making is that the AFL shouldn't be meddling in list management issues at all.

And for one second, on top of the knee slides, staging and a GF loss, has anyone considered this is why Hawthorn supporters have been so vitriolic towards Goodes and not racism? Hawthorn fans have been looking for a poster boy to hate on Sydney with and Goodes has provided it!

Rubbish.

The fact is that Sydney's capital growth far exceeds Geelong's (there is 100 years statistical evidence of this but don't let the facts get in your way) and the clown who you are defending is trying to compare the two on an apples for apples basis when it like comparing apples with a Ferrari.

Now run along little man.

To June 2014, in real terms, 10 year growth in Sydney (annualised) was 0.5%. Melbourne was 2.5%.

You're seriously arguing that growth potential is a mitigating factor in whether cost of living should be taken into account in the salary cap?

You have absolutely no idea.

Best you stay out of the discussion.

why is this even news?

i mean was fitzpatrick was scared shitless that hes was going to be taking the heat thats why he went into a tiradeas the norm?

or is it colless trying to do what hird tried to do and will probably fail as well?

And for one second, on top of the knee slides, staging and a GF loss, has anyone considered this is why Hawthorn supporters have been so vitriolic towards Goodes and not racism? Hawthorn fans have been looking for a poster boy to hate on Sydney with and Goodes has provided it!
Um no. I don't think Hawthorn fans are booing Adam Goodes because Sydney got Buddy. Let's leave booing out of this thread - we had enough of that last week.

To June 2014, in real terms, 10 year growth in Sydney (annualised) was 0.5%. Melbourne was 2.5%.

You're seriously arguing that growth potential is a mitigating factor in whether cost of living should be taken into account in the salary cap?

You have absolutely no idea.

Best you stay out of the discussion.

Now, where did you get those figures from? Or have you just made them up to suit your argument?

why is this even news?

i mean fitzpatrick was scared shitless that hes taking the heat

or is it colless trying to do what hird tried to do and will probably fail as well
It's news because Colless has highlighted how the AFL was breaking the rules to manipulate player movements. When Sydney disrupted their plans, they unjustifiably punished them with a trade ban.

So are people happy that the AFL is acting to poach star players and send them to clubs they own? Get rid of them.

Agree with everything you said, but we are all completely naive if you thought the AFL would have two bastard creations and then just let them sink or swim like every other club. The stupid club Presidents are to blame for this when they signed off on said bastard creations. No expense was going to be spared and no rule was not going to be stretched to ensure their success in non AFL markets. Exactly what has been happening at Sydney since they left South Melbourne!

Whenever folks bag Gill and praise Vlad, just keep GWS and GC in the back of your minds. And enjoy knowing a percentage of your hard earned spent on your club is helping making these casket cases competitive and will for at least another 25 years!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back