Andrew Ireland & Matt De Boer appointed to AFL Commission

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
eoIF1-XqyMwgYDX2QypxuxAiyUzY86gafJZ95sstjJ48ZCmd2VVd8YdchEouTCX1HWsjI1YAyILRhCjROoaoqhTB6-DKrLptBQ5pnywOtK0NBg-rnJA3jwoV3nR7uRUFdO1Y3sBYC2Jqe9KWvODp_3QJcrCexQ=s0-d-e1-ft

NEW AFL COMMISSIONERS ANNOUNCED

AFL Chairman, Richard Goyder today announced the appointment of two new AFL Commissioners who will take up their role on the code’s governing body at its next meeting in October.

Mr Goyder said experienced AFL club administrator and Sydney Swans Board member Andrew Ireland and former GWS Giants and Fremantle midfielder Matt de Boer will join the AFL Commission after being endorsed by the Commission today and will be subject to an election by the 18 clubs at the AGM in March 2024.

Mr Goyder said the two new Commissioners bring strong playing and administration experience to the Commission as well as also bringing recent club experience to the AFL.

“The game is strong at the moment with record attendances, record memberships and record engagement with our supporters but the Commission’s job is to have an eye to the future and to ensuring that Australian Football continues to grow at both the elite AFL and AFLW level and at community level,” Mr Goyder said.

“Andrew and Matt bring a great mix of club and football playing and administration experience across four states that gives them an insight into both how we play the game and also how we support the growth of the game and engage communities who currently are not connected to our game.”

“They are also leaders with strong values and strong views who are passionate about our game and what it needs to do to continue to be the game of choice for Australia’s best athletes.”

After an 110-game playing career with Collingwood, Andrew Ireland has had more than three decades of administration experience, particularly working to grow the game in Queensland and NSW.

He was General Manager of AFL Queensland before being appointed CEO of the Brisbane Lions (formerly Brisbane Bears) from 1990-2001 before moving to Sydney Swans in 2002 where he was appointed General Manager of Football before taking on the role of CEO in 2009 where he stayed until his retirement in 2018.

Mr Ireland served as a Director of the Sydney Swans since 2011 and stepped down to take up his role on the Commission. He was a member of the AFL Competition committee (2018-2022) and Deputy Chair for the Australian Sports Commission where he has been a director since 2018. He has a Bachelor of Science.

Matt de Boer joins the Commission after retiring at the end of 2022 following 223 AFL games, including 138 with Fremantle and 85 games with GWS Giants. He was a member of his clubs' leadership groups for all but four years of his 14-year AFL career and also served as an AFLPA player delegate.

Mr de Boer, who has a Bachelor of Commerce from University of Western Australia, co-founded venture capital firm Athletic Ventures in 2020. Athletic Ventures is a private equity investment syndicate of current and former elite athletes that partner with world-class entrepreneurs building high-growth technology and consumer companies.

ANDREW IRELAND: “I am very honoured to join the Commission and my view is the Commission plays such an important role as the independent body guiding the code and providing oversight. The experience I have had over the journey playing firstly for a big club in Victoria and then being involved as CEO at Brisbane and Sydney will be beneficial in helping the game to grow.”

MATT DE BOER: “I am excited and also humbled by becoming a member of the Commission and bring a contemporary lens of football and specifically the ups and downs of an AFL footy career over 14 years at two clubs and two states. Hopefully I can bring an insight into playing in both an established market with Freo and an emerging market with the Giants.”

Mr Goyder thanked the nominations committee for their time and effort during the selection process. The nominations committee includes AFL Commissioner Simone Wilkie AO, Port Adelaide President David Koch, Sydney Swans President Andrew Pridham, Western Bulldogs President Kylie Watson- Wheeler, Andrew Wellington (Brisbane Lions) and Dale Alcock (Fremantle).

Ireland grew up in Melbourne.

#VICBIAS
I knew this reply was coming … he was born in the UK, spent a bit over 20 years in Melbourne, then 20 years living in Brisbane and the last 21 years living in Sydney.

And to top it all off, by sheer coincidence, I sat right next to him at the 2003 GF. By then he had spent 2 years with the Swans but for that game he totally barracked for Brisbane for the whole game against the club he had played for decades earlier.

Last edited:
At least now we have someone on the commission with an administrative understanding of what clubs in non-traditional states are up against. Who knows we might even see some decent pathways funding?
Like every club getting an Academy?

Like every club getting an Academy?
and it's responses like this that prove exactly what I'm saying. The reason academies exist is because the AFL failed to put pathways in place themselves in the northern states. Rather than persist they gave up and now rely on the northern clubs themselves largely funding this pathway to do the job that the AFL do in Victoria. How much do Geelong pay out of their own finances to help run the TAC cup?

Very good appointments IMHO as both played football at the highest level Ireland 110 games for Collingwood and Matt De Boer 223 at Fremantle and GWS and only recently retired and both are good businessmen/administrators and will bring a more football orientated view to the commission which has been sadly lacking of late.

I think it is also time for the almost invisible AFL Commission Chairman Richard Goyder to step down as well!

Finally 2 good appointments.

It won't be popular, but I'd like to see both Koch and Cochrane added too. Some guys with initiative and success across entertainment, sport and finance.

Goyder needs to go, he has been pathetic.

Is it normal for an ex-player to join so quickly like De Boer has?
Don't think so but he's a fairly good operator. Have heard him speak on a few occasions, mainly podcasts. He's articulate, thorough, open minded and decisive. Probably always the most intelligent in the room. But fairly self aware so I think he will be a massive positive for the league. I'd just give him the CEO position after Dillon. Obviously won't happen but he'd be ready in 3 yrs.

Don't think so but he's a fairly good operator. Have heard him speak on a few occasions, mainly podcasts. He's articulate, thorough, open minded and decisive. Probably always the most intelligent in the room. But fairly self aware so I think he will be a massive positive for the league. I'd just give him the CEO position after Dillon. Obviously won't happen but he'd be ready in 3 yrs.

Yeah de boer would have to have been brought into AFL house in a role there though to end up in the CEO gig, but I agree, he would and should be on the top of the list of potential future CEO's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anybody have access to this article if you'd like to post it please?

Screenshot_20231202-132505_Herald Sun.jpg

and it's responses like this that prove exactly what I'm saying. The reason academies exist is because the AFL failed to put pathways in place themselves in the northern states. Rather than persist they gave up and now rely on the northern clubs themselves largely funding this pathway to do the job that the AFL do in Victoria. How much do Geelong pay out of their own finances to help run the TAC cup?

By pay out of your own finances do you mean, pay out of the money the AFL gives you?

Top 3 teams who received the most funding in 2023 -

1: Gold Coast
2: GWS
3: Brisbane.

Great work Matt don’t forget who helped you on your journey.
Your kids might play for the anchors one day.
Would you like them to play for a team that has never won a flag in 50 years of existence ????
I love Matt De Boer. But I doubt he will have that much influence on the dockers mens or dockers ladies side getting a Premiership lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back