Does the AFL have anything to fear from the Matilda's recent success and the NRL's TV ratings?

Which sport will be the biggest in Australia the future?

• Rugby League

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Rugby Union

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Football/Soccer

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Cricket

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Athletics

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Netball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Australian Rules Football

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly and the best soccer players in the world are playing in Europe, and off the top of my head i can't think of one Aussie male player who a regular starter in any of the top leagues in Europe

Theres two in the EPL

For the 2022-23 season, Fulham's Tyrese Francois started off as the only Australian currently part of a Premier League club's senior team, but was joined by Harry Souttar after the Socceroo arrived at Leicester City in a record deal for an Aussie.

I seem to remember a time when there was a number of Australians playing in the EPL.
does this mean Australian soccer has gone backwards in producing elite talent.
The numbers are so low, it really doesn't mean much either way.

There is 2. If 2 more sign, then representation has doubled. But it's still only 4.

If it goes to 20, then that might mean something.

But numbers bouncing around between 0 and 10 is just random noise really.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

The numbers are so low, it really doesn't mean much either way.

There is 2. If 2 more sign, then representation has doubled. But it's still only 4.

If it goes to 20, then that might mean something.

But numbers bouncing around between 0 and 10 is just random noise really.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's also about the quality of the player. Francois has been with Fulham for years, but he doesn't actually play for the senior team but for charity minutes in a cup game. Souttar doesn't play for an EPL team anymore as Leicester got relegated, but in any case he hasn't made an appearance with them this season.

Theres two in the EPL

For the 2022-23 season, Fulham's Tyrese Francois started off as the only Australian currently part of a Premier League club's senior team, but was joined by Harry Souttar after the Socceroo arrived at Leicester City in a record deal for an Aussie.
Souttar has an Aussie mum but was born and bred in Scotland and he had not even stepped foot in Australia until he played for the Socceroos. He's not now in a EPL club but anyway he's not a good example of the strength of local Australian soccer.

Souttar has an Aussie mum but was born and bred in Scotland and he had not even stepped foot in Australia until he played for the Socceroos. He's not now in a EPL club but anyway he's not a good example of the strength of local Australian soccer.

Likewise Tyrese Francois apparently moved to England when he was 13 and joined Fulham's academy.

After all the media hoo haa about the Matildas WC performance was going to lift womens soccer crowds massively in Australia - it has not happened and the ALW crowds are now not much different to before the WC with some drawing less than a thousand!

After all the media hoo haa about the Matildas WC performance was going to lift womens soccer crowds massively in Australia - it has not happened and the ALW crowds are now not much different to before the WC with some drawing less than a thousand!
It was one of the biggest cases of bandwagoning in Australian sports history, if not, world sports history.

I've seen some pretty decent ALW crowds reported, although I know they do have a lot of games as curtain raisers to ALM games, so who knows when they measure it. Probably the 90th minute.

Basketball and the NBA/NBL is a bigger threat than Association Football/soccer perspective to footy, esp as for 1 the game of hoops is far entertaing, high scoring and marketable than the A league/soccer, 2 Australa/Aussies have the most global NBA League Pass subscriptions outside of the States, and 3 Basketball is a lot safer/physically less damaging sport than footy and parents understandably would prefer to have their children play in a physically less potentially damaging sport

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was one of the biggest cases of bandwagoning in Australian sports history, if not, world sports history.
I missed out on all the hype, froth and bubble that evidently occurred here. I was in Germany and France for the WC, where (as I like to do to help reacquaint myself with the local languages) I watched the local German and French language TV news bulletins - and when it came to the sports segment, well if the WC was mentioned at all (it most often wasn’t), it had to wait behind the cycling, F1, moto GP, tennis and, once they started, the local pre-season (mens) soccer friendlies. In Germany, even the German gridiron (American football) league (I’m surprised how popular it’s now become) was prioritised over the women’s WC in the local news.

And forget about all those active fan sites, like I’ve previously encountered (and joined in) for the men’s WC and Euro Cup - I found none at all happening for the WWC in either country. So it’s strange for me to hear about all the massive hype and unbelievable TV ratings in Australia. For me, it’s like it never happened.

Roy Masters supports the view that soccer will take over everything.

I suspect Roy is trying to get the siege mentality happening amongst the rugby league community in Sydney as it's absolutely killing the game there WRT playing numbers.

I think people in Sydney overestimate the impact of soccer in the rest of the country because it's so massive there, not being aware that there is a country outside Sydney and soccer isn't quite as big there. Last time I checked over half of all soccer players in this country were in NSW.

Basketball and the NBA/NBL is a bigger threat than Association Football/soccer perspective to footy, esp as for 1 the game of hoops is far entertaing, high scoring and marketable than the A league/soccer, 2 Australa/Aussies have the most global NBA League Pass subscriptions outside of the States, and 3 Basketball is a lot safer/physically less damaging sport than footy and parents understandably would prefer to have their children play in a physically less potentially damaging sport
I love basketball but it has as many downfalls as any sport. It’s probably one of the most stop, start sports in the world. Almost 3/4 of an NBA game they aren’t actually playing. Also I’d love to know the actual ratings in Australia (NBA) So many follow the sport while watching it very rarely, that’s the American hype which they do so much better then anywhere else in the world. The amount of hype the athletes of Basketball get, considering almost 99% of the population is ruled out because they are too short is ridiculous. Boxing and UFC are other sports who overhype athletes because of weight divisions, Floyd is arguably the GOAT and their are thousands out their who would destroy him in the exact same sport. F1 another.
Scoring in basketball also becomes meaningless as it is so easy so it’s a strength and weakness.

Am I right in saying the nrl overall ratings are higher because they include state of origin and also a couple more games for each team per year?

I love basketball but it has as many downfalls as any sport. It’s probably one of the most stop, start sports in the world. Almost 3/4 of an NBA game they aren’t actually playing. Also I’d love to know the actual ratings in Australia (NBA) So many follow the sport while watching it very rarely, that’s the American hype which they do so much better then anywhere else in the world. The amount of hype the athletes of Basketball get, considering almost 99% of the population is ruled out because they are too short is ridiculous. Boxing and UFC are other sports who overhype athletes because of weight divisions, Floyd is arguably the GOAT and their are thousands out their who would destroy him in the exact same sport. F1 another.
Scoring in basketball also becomes meaningless as it is so easy so it’s a strength and weakness.
TBF, that is more about the American Sports than basketball. The NBL would be just under 2 hours long for 40 minutes of game time, which doesn't include FT's or things like that which stop the clock.

That looks bad, but the AFL time length goes for 2 1/2 hours for 1 hour and 20 mins official game time action, so it is in the same ballpark.

TBF, that is more about the American Sports than basketball. The NBL would be just under 2 hours long for 40 minutes of game time, which doesn't include FT's or things like that which stop the clock.

That looks bad, but the AFL time length goes for 2 1/2 hours for 1 hour and 20 mins official game time action, so it is in the same ballpark.
If football was invented today then I seriously doubt it would go as long too. I was more comparing it to soccer in that post though, Soccer is brilliant in the way the ball is in play for the vast majority of a game.

If football was invented today then I seriously doubt it would go as long too. I was more comparing it to soccer in that post though, Soccer is brilliant in the way the ball is in play for the vast majority of a game.
Soccer may be a continuous countdown clock but i think recent reports on game length indicate that the ball is only in play for about 60 mins out of the 90 mins. That is why we have seen higher extra periods at the end of halves.

either way, I cant watch NFL due to the length of wastage in that sport. Drives me insane.

Soccer may be a continuous countdown clock but i think recent reports on game length indicate that the ball is only in play for about 60 mins out of the 90 mins. That is why we have seen higher extra periods at the end of halves.

either way, I cant watch NFL due to the length of wastage in that sport. Drives me insane.
No doubt the ball is dead for large periods of time in soccer but that would still make it in play for about 50% longer then basketball (NBA)

No doubt the ball is dead for large periods of time in soccer but that would still make it in play for about 50% longer then basketball (NBA)
But half the time the ball is in play in soccer, players pass the ball between themselves in the back half, while opposition players stand and watch.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back