2016 AFL Fixture Official Announcements [Fixture - pg 20]

Remove this Banner Ad

Thursday Night final
Friday Night final
Saturday Night final

fourth final could either be...

- Saturday arvo, keeping Sundays free for the state league finals
- Sunday arvo as it is now, 4 days of finals
- Sunday Night, 4 nights of finals, to condition everyone to the idea that all finals are played at night starting in 2017 (night GF)

the drawn out process is such a pain in the arse to be honest. well, that's my feeling. i can honestly say that i'm watching less and less of AFL finals each season when I should be watching all 9 matches.

one thing I love about the NFL are the post season double headers. 2 games on saturday back-to-back & 2 on sunday back-to-back in the Wk 1 & 2.
Wk 3 championship weekend are both conference games back to back on the sunday.

The drawn out scheduling the AFL implement leads to viewing fatigue for all but the die-hards.

After the success of games at clubs heritage grounds during the NAB Challenge this year I hope they go full bore next year and use all of the following grounds.

Whitten Oval
Alberton Oval
Victoria Park
Princes Park
Arden Street
Junction Oval
Fremantle Oval
Windy Hill

Would it hurt the Lions to return to Brunswick street for a free open day NAB cup match?
brunswick-st.jpg

2016 marks the anniversary... 50 years since the Lions played their last game at Brunswick st, their home since 1883.

Last edited:

the drawn out process is such a pain in the arse to be honest. well, that's my feeling. i can honestly say that i'm watching less and less of AFL finals each season when I should be watching all 9 matches.

one thing I love about the NFL are the post season double headers. 2 games on saturday back-to-back & 2 on sunday back-to-back in the Wk 1 & 2.
Wk 3 championship weekend are both conference games back to back on the sunday.

The drawn out scheduling the AFL implement leads to viewing fatigue for all but the die-hards.

agree... Weeks 2 and 3 should be on Saturday arvo and Saturday night if the finals are played at different venues... if there is a clash, only then have one on Friday night... the AFL used to do this before they made the Friday Night finals in Weeks 2 and 3 to be permanent fixtures

Last edited:
Which teams have the hardest and easiest draws for 2016?
There are two ways to determine this. The first way is to assign each team a number relating to the position they finished on the ladder in 2015 (taking into account the finals results). For each club we then identify who they play identified by position in 2015 and multiply this by the number of times ( 1 or 2) they play each other. Thus if Carlton (18th) played Richmond (7th) twice then for Carlton the difficulty score would be 7X 2 = 14. For Richmond on the other hand it would be 18 x 2 = 36. The lower the number the harder the match for each team.
Using this method as illustrated in the Base Score column in Table 1 for the 2016 fixture:

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 3.50.05 pm.png
Hardest Fixture: Adelaide
Easiest Fixture: Essendon

The second method is based on an understanding that the AFL has supposedly moved towards a draw centred around 3 groups of six teams based on their final positions on the ladder (taking into account the results of the finals series). The advantage of this method if scrupulously followed would be no ‘meddling’ with the draw for the following season. Theoretically teams in each group of six play the other teams in their group twice and the teams from the other groups once. Using this method illustrated in Table 2 to evaluate the difficulty of the 2016 fixture the hardest and easiest fixtures are as follows.
Hardest Fixture : Brisbane and Melbourne
Easiest Fixture: Fremantle and West Coast

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 3.44.38 pm.png

Expected difficulty is calculated by finding the median difficulty score for each group of six if they played each other twice and teams in other groups once.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 3.50.05 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 3.50.05 pm.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 19
What if the lions built up a relationship with the Fitzroy Reds. Sponsor or something. Or am I a bit slow?

They and the Fitzroy Football Club already have a relationship. The Brisbane Lions sponsor a Fitzroy player each year, they contribute to our annual raffle and so on.

Incidentally the Fitzroy Reds finished up in the VAFA at the end of 2008. The Reds were replaced by Fitzroy Football Club for the 2009 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I know our ground at Etihad but we all know MCG is a better ground and that is where finals are played, so it is a disadvantage to have minimal games there. I'm arguing not just for North but for other teams that don't have MCG as their home ground.
Let's look at other teams that also don't have MCG as their home ground:
Adelaide - 3 games at the MCG
Brisbane - 2
Essendon - 7
Fremantle - 1
Geelong - 4
GWS - 1
Gold Coast - 2
Port - 2
St.Kilda - 3
Sydney - 2
West Coast - 3
Western Bulldogs - 2

Right so we have the equal LEAST amount of games at the MCG (less than f***ing Gold Coast) - and of that list of 12 teams, only Essendon and possibly Geelong have more members in Melbourne.
Don't think North asked for more
MCG games , or if they did , it wasn't high on the priority list
It was one of our top, if not the top, fixture priority for us this season (we didn't ask for things like extra exposure , or beig given a window of home games at the end of the season to try and allow our veteran's record breaking match to be played at Etihad ...)

Can't play in Tas and expect extra MCG games too. You play some "away" games at Etihad against MCG tenants too, probably to make
up for the tassie factor .

But having said that yeah, we had one game (also the equal least ) in 2015 and I believe it disadvantaged us this year. We specifically asked for more games . Did north ? If north finish high enough for it to actually matter/for it to disadvantage them ....then they will ask for things to change for next year, just like we did.

Don't think North asked for more
MCG games , or if they did , it wasn't high on the priority list
It was one of our top, if not the top, fixture priority for us this season (we didn't ask for things like extra exposure , or beig given a window of home games at the end of the season to try and allow our veteran's record breaking match to be played at Etihad ...)

Can't play in Tas and expect extra MCG games too. You play some "away" games at Etihad against MCG tenants too, probably to make
up for the tassie factor .

But having said that yeah, we had one game (also the equal least ) in 2015 and I believe it disadvantaged us this year. We specifically asked for more games . Did north ? If north finish high enough for it to actually matter/for it to disadvantage them ....then they will ask for things to change for next year, just like we did.
Its quite interesting because North fans were quite vocal in screaming the Eagles lack of MCG exposure had nothing to do with the Grand Final.

So why do they now whinge about only getting 1?

Its quite interesting because North fans were quite vocal in screaming the Eagles lack of MCG exposure had nothing to do with the Grand Final.

So why do they now whinge about only getting 1?
Yep. Suggests they have different sets of standards for other teams' compared to their own, just like many supporters of every other club

So two teams are going to go:

Round 23
Week Off
Qualifying Final
Week Off
Preliminary Final

I don't know if that's an advantage or a disadvantage.
A week off is great to freshen up, but you do feel like multiple weeks off can become a momentum killer.... If we start seeing teams getting knocked off in their home PF's more often it'll be hard to argue it's not a momentum killer.

Or it may suggest that some fans have different opinions even though they follow the same team
Nah. Couple of the same ones that were trolling West Coast are now crying foul.

A week off is great to freshen up, but you do feel like multiple weeks off can become a momentum killer.... If we start seeing teams getting knocked off in their home PF's more often it'll be hard to argue it's not a momentum killer.

If it increases the number of flags won by teams that play in the semi finals is that a bad thing?

The fixture isn't fair and as much as people like to say the best teams will always finish top 2 / top 4, it's just not true

consecutive 6 day breaks hurt especially when you are playing big matches against teams that are fresher than you during the season

There's always a couple of teams in the 8 that either got off to a good start / had an easy fixture / played the best teams once only and at home

Remove this Banner Ad

Back