News Nathan Bassett Departs

Remove this Banner Ad

Bassett an asset? I'm sure you guys are right but hearing a coach say he's come here to learn ummm.

I think we all know what Bassett brings to the club. He's a senior premiership coach in his own right. This is his way of saying he isn't some knob who thinks he knows everything there is to know about everything, who's going to come in and do things his way and his way only.

I think we all know what Bassett brings to the club. He's a senior premiership coach in his own right. This is his way of saying he isn't some knob who thinks he knows everything there is to know about everything, who's going to come in and do things his way and his way only.
Was Clarkson the last senior premiership coach we emplyed as an assistant?

I reckon the coaching group looks very balanced. Hoping they can improve and ensuring we can combat teams when they get on a run. Last year our fade outs during games cost us heavily

i love the coaching group as it stands. Its an awsome group. Id like to see the whole list of coaches now, including tackling at kicking etc.

Bassett an asset? I'm sure you guys are right but hearing a coach say he's come here to learn ummm.
He also talked about the similarity in game-plan around the league and suggested that it is the execution that some teams do better. He is here to do things the Port Adelaide way but knows how players need to stick to a game-plan while defending well.

I'm huge on gameplan suiting a list rather than just trying to execute a gameplan because it's worked somewhere else in the past. A gameplan must be designed specifically with the strengths and weaknesses of the players and list as a whole in mind. I'm frankly worried we are (supposedly) trying to mimic the hawks in their disposal and surgical movement. I don't think this suits our list. We have too many with average at best disposal by foot.

Happy to be wrong.

I'm huge on gameplan suiting a list rather than just trying to execute a gameplan because it's worked somewhere else in the past. A gameplan must be designed specifically with the strengths and weaknesses of the players and list as a whole in mind. I'm frankly worried we are (supposedly) trying to mimic the hawks in their disposal and surgical movement. I don't think this suits our list. We have too many with average at best disposal by foot.

Happy to be wrong.
I reckon Clarko imposed his game plan in 2005 and 2006 on a young Hawks team that weeded out a lot of old players in those first 2 years. There were calls for Clarko to be sacked because Hawks fans didnt like his game plan. Clarko took a lot of the possession footy ideas from Choco/Walsh model and with the Buckenara and his recruiting team concentrating on drafting elite kicks it worked in well. And Bucky drafting 10 year KPF's in Roghie and Buddy in the 2004 draft 6 weeks after rocking up to Waverley it helped his plan no end but it took 2 full seasons and another preseason before it clicked into place in 2007. But Clarko has tweaked his game plan over the years, actually every year, and no better example of playing Buddy thru the mid field and half forward in 2013 to make sure they werent going to fall in a hole when he left for Sydney - despiting planning for him to go the GWS instead of the Swans.

Ken had a basic style he wanted to play but he had to adjust for the strength and deficiencies in our list at the end of 2012and he lucked out arriving with the return of Burgess to Alberton and had a game plan to take advantage of group of natural runners - adding to them with certain traded and drafted players - and manufacturing a game style that didnt depend as much on a gorilla type KFP. He tweaked it this year, he had to after we fell in a hole, and he will tweak it again with Dixon changing our forward structure.

We can talk about all the structures he will bring, but the biggest issue we had last season was being tough at the footy and the man in the contest. We did see it in the last 5 or so rounds of the year after the season was written off.

It seemed ken just wanted us to play circle work, many of us were worried about it after the pre-season game against west coast. whenever we hit a slump in the year we would come out and try and play faster, more uncontested and totally ignored winning the footy in the first place, resulted in losses to brisbane and carlton, and barely scraping in against the bombers (who st kilda beat by 100+) and North Melbourne. This is not even mentioning the games against geelong, richmond, crows and west coast.

I am certain nathan bassett will bring a harder edge and a more synchronised defence setup to the team, but will be useless if we fall back into the bad habits of last year. Being hard at the footy and winning first/contested possessions is the best form of defence. Norwood had this under him, i hope we will too.

Happy to be wrong.

Agree, but lists can be changed to add new attributes a bit faster than previously.

Amon and Neade have a leg on them, Arch obviously has that handball. Polec is Polec, Hartlett too. Ebo can be variable as can Cam. Broady can kick a mile but he's no Hartlett for example. If we're going gorilla plus 2-3 mobile fairly-talls depending on the day next year, that's a very different forward line to ours this season and to the Hawks where they're delivering to a smaller more mobile mix.

Speed + somewhat better delivery ... rather than slightly slower Hawks-like amazing precision chipping, it ought to be evolution rather than copying.

A few more taps to advantage would help too. **** happens when we win taps to advantage.

Apart from an "anti-Betts" lockdown small defender position I think the defence lineup is settled and has depth. but yes precision kickers they aren't, apart from Hartlett when HBF-ing. Not sure where the opportunities for improvement are there apart from Jonas returning to... the full Jonas lol

A few more opportunities to score per quarter than we got this year and we're going places...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the one and only thing Bassett does is put a stop to that ****ing stupid thing Port defenders always do where a defender will leave his man and run 20 metres up the field to try to pressure the ball carrier 40 metres away, leaving them stranded in no-mans land where they're not pressuring the ball carrier or marking their direct opponent, then he'll be worth every cent.

If the one and only thing Bassett does is put a stop to that ****ing stupid thing Port defenders always do where a defender will leave his man and run 20 metres up the field to try to pressure the ball carrier 40 metres away, leaving them stranded in no-mans land where they're not pressuring the ball carrier or marking their direct opponent, then he'll be worth every cent.
Nah, I want him to fix our empty forward line.

the appointment of the Hound has gone through relatively quietly from my perspective.

he presents very well and for me, he is potentially recruit of the year for the PAFC.

I've never had the privilege of meeting Kenny but there appears to be no coincidence that everyone seems to love him, it started with the Geelong boys.

Good defenders make good decisions. All the problems that people have cited with our game-plan and our defensive set up....The players need to understand the strengths and weaknesses and play according to them. That is why Bass said he needs to learn.

Can't people see that a good thinker takes information in and then will try and solve issues. To think that he will stroll in and tell the defenders, this is how you set up is too simple. It would be like putting in a plan within a plan. If you sit back and learn how things have been done and then you find weaknesses, then you have to inform the head coach which would have an effect on the strategies of all the other coaches because everybody would have to come up with a solution to fix the game-plan.

I expect that to happen because the Bass is making his own review of how things work. Smart, Smart, Smart, Smart.Smart, Smart, Smart....You get the idea.

For him to come in with his own game-plan and start telling the players what to do. I would be disappointed in him because his job is more complicated then that.

Very excited to have a coach that is a teacher and strategist. That is the very thing that made him a great defender and what made him a good coach at Norwood. He stated his intention without people realizing it. We will be the stingiest defense next year. Freo stingy. Read between the lines people.

I don't see us mimicking Hawthorn too much I think it's a furphy we'll still play to our strengths (which Hawthorn struggle with by the way) while adding a harder defensive edge.

In hindsight, I think Bass would agree that moving to Essendon was an unwise career move.

the guy was widely viewed as a future AFL coach and would expect that if we have a reasonable year in 2016 he will be spoken about in that regard again

Another point is that our strength coach Mladen said that even he would learn from the people around him. I'll give advice to anybody who is going into an organisation and trying to make a difference. There is an existing company culture. Ignoring it is at your peril. We are a great club and a lot of what we do is good. If you are worth your salt you will take everything in and analyse what works and what doesn't.

I realise that. it was referring to Essendon Sports science.
Yeah, I know. :)

My point was that he has already seen both sides of sports science, the "boring as bat droppings" and the "what ever it takes" approaches.

Interestingly Craig is also at Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back