Details on National Comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Further info (link to a sheet on the page with a bit more detail).
The U23 champs not to include any AFL listed players, so, as I said, a way of increasing exposure.
The Youth girls champs to be played in Vic on AFL grounds starting the beginning of April, specifically to increase exposure prior to the mini draft. WA is having 3 trial matches the first of which is in about 2 weeks.
There are also 3 open trial matches, with the third prior to the Western Derby.

Which brings me to what is fast becoming a pet peeve.
In Qld, this would be plastered everywhere, it would be all over twitter feeds, facebook and the AFLQ website, but despite the fact that there must be lots of communication and organisation involved, the WAWFL is playing secret squirrel, and it is the first I have heard of any of it.

It is about time that they realised that a key ingredient of a successful national comp is engagement with the public. Making announcements at training sessions and via closed email groups is fine for keeping people on the inside informed, but they start to need to realise that they now need to keep those on the outside informed too. A great national comp no one knows anything about will not last long.

Further info (link to a sheet on the page with a bit more detail).
The U23 champs not to include any AFL listed players, so, as I said, a way of increasing exposure.
The Youth girls champs to be played in Vic on AFL grounds starting the beginning of April, specifically to increase exposure prior to the mini draft. WA is having 3 trial matches the first of which is in about 2 weeks.
There are also 3 open trial matches, with the third prior to the Western Derby.

Which brings me to what is fast becoming a pet peeve.
In Qld, this would be plastered everywhere, it would be all over twitter feeds, facebook and the AFLQ website, but despite the fact that there must be lots of communication and organisation involved, the WAWFL is playing secret squirrel, and it is the first I have heard of any of it.

It is about time that they realised that a key ingredient of a successful national comp is engagement with the public. Making announcements at training sessions and via closed email groups is fine for keeping people on the inside informed, but they start to need to realise that they now need to keep those on the outside informed too. A great national comp no one knows anything about will not last long.

The WA footy media generally are only interested in the two AFL teams. However I do not think the WAWFL realise currently how big the new league will get because it will be National. There are about 1000 AFL footy media journos/reporters now who are all looking for stories from the AFL and will be doing the same for the Womens League.
As a suggestion why dont you get on the WAWFL mailing lists/RSS Feeds. In Perth the main media outlets will eventually start knocking on their door as things get closer to 2017. Remember the 24/7 news cycle is now a beast that needs feeding. Just think of all of the stuff we get now -
Someone falls of their bike in Nth QLD and we hear about it in WA.

The WA footy media generally are only interested in the two AFL teams. However I do not think the WAWFL realise currently how big the new league will get because it will be National. There are about 1000 AFL footy media journos/reporters now who are all looking for stories from the AFL and will be doing the same for the Womens League.
As a suggestion why dont you get on the WAWFL mailing lists/RSS Feeds. In Perth the main media outlets will eventually start knocking on their door as things get closer to 2017. Remember the 24/7 news cycle is now a beast that needs feeding. Just think of all of the stuff we get now -
Someone falls of their bike in Nth QLD and we hear about it in WA.

Here we are now into a new year and all the footy clubs think 2016 is their time.
The article below is a debate on the new Womens AFL League and whether the Womens games should play their matches as curtain raisers for the Men on each match day.
Interesting idea in England with the Womens Soccer Football League playing as a summer sport and it is still growing.
Also the promoters of the Womens Big Bash League are maybe looking at setting up a separate TV deal with CH10 from the men. They are happy with the ratings for the Women.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-05/is-womens-footy-the-perfect-curtainraiser

Here we are now into a new year and all the footy clubs think 2016 is their time.
The article below is a debate on the new Womens AFL League and whether the Womens games should play their matches as curtain raisers for the Men on each match day.
Interesting idea in England with the Womens Soccer Football League playing as a summer sport and it is still growing.
Also the promoters of the Womens Big Bash League are maybe looking at setting up a separate TV deal with CH10 from the men. They are happy with the ratings for the Women.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-05/is-womens-footy-the-perfect-curtainraiser
Torn about this myself. Points to be made both ways, and I think a likely outcome is both. Some curtain raisers some stand alone.

People need to see the women's team as their clubs team, not just a bunch of women in their clubs jumper. Seeing them at the ground the men are playing at, with some men's players and coaches around helps do that.

However if they are just a warm up to the men's game, do they start to look like cheerleaders, or a warm up act rather than a real team in a real comp.

Also, in Perth, if you are not a WCE member, and you want to watch a women's game, are you even going to be able to get in?

I would suggest that they do double header broadcast games, plus stand alone games for the best of both worlds

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Torn about this myself. Points to be made both ways, and I think a likely outcome is both. Some curtain raisers some stand alone.

People need to see the women's team as their clubs team, not just a bunch of women in their clubs jumper. Seeing them at the ground the men are playing at, with some men's players and coaches around helps do that.

However if they are just a warm up to the men's game, do they start to look like cheerleaders, or a warm up act rather than a real team in a real comp.

Also, in Perth, if you are not a WCE member, and you want to watch a women's game, are you even going to be able to get in?

I would suggest that they do double header broadcast games, plus stand alone games for the best of both worlds

Some good points you have made. Particularly about being a West Coast Member, although the new stadium will seat 60,000 with 10,000 walkup tickets avail for non members on West Coast match days. Those walkup figures were mandated in the legal stuff by the Premier himself.
I think it will take time for each clubs fans to get accustomed to having a Womens team involved. How will they market the season tickets for the members when all 18 clubs are running.
The marketing gurus at each club will probably make sure that they are seen as being an integral part of the club. The thing is how many extra members will sign up to support the Women.

I think to properly set it as a national competition straight of the bat each state with a current AFL team would have at least 1 team. I'd be looking at a model that has 8 teams with (1 from WA, SA, QLD, NSW and then 3 in Melbourne and 1 in Geelong). Play for 7-10 rounds in the first season and add onto that as the league expands.

Finals system is 3 weeks and uses the model below:
Week 1 (QF): WB (1st) v WCE (2nd) - Winner goes to GF, loser play winner of 3rd versus 4th
Melb (3rd) v BL (4th) - winner plays loser of 1v2, loser is eliminated
Week 2 (SF): WCE (2nd) v Melb (3rd) - Winner plays in GF, loser is eliminated
Week 3 (GF): WB (1st) v Melb (3rd)

That's how i would see the women's league working for the first season, but of course as the league adds more teams some adjustments would be made.

See that there is now talk that the new pay deal for womens cricketers being nutted out MAY go as high as 6 figure for the top players.

Also noticed that the BBL has an associate rookie program in both the mens and womens teams. This involves players from non test playing nations being invited to join the squad of an BBL or WBBL team. I believe they are eligible for selection while here, as unlikely as it is. Involves players from Ireland Scotland, Netherlands, Honk Kong, China, PNG.

Names are put forward by national cricketing bodies, and players are chosen by a board based on performances in the associates comps. Clubs can then invite those chosen.

As they are non professional, the length and timing of the secondment seem seems to be entirely up to the club and player. Some came for only 2 weeks, some are here for 6, some arrived for the start, some only just arrived.

Would something like that be a way for the womens AFL to spread its wings?

See that there is now talk that the new pay deal for womens cricketers being nutted out MAY go as high as 6 figure for the top players.

Also noticed that the BBL has an associate rookie program in both the mens and womens teams. This involves players from non test playing nations being invited to join the squad of an BBL or WBBL team. I believe they are eligible for selection while here, as unlikely as it is. Involves players from Ireland Scotland, Netherlands, Honk Kong, China, PNG.

Names are put forward by national cricketing bodies, and players are chosen by a board based on performances in the associates comps. Clubs can then invite those chosen.

As they are non professional, the length and timing of the secondment seem seems to be entirely up to the club and player. Some came for only 2 weeks, some are here for 6, some arrived for the start, some only just arrived.

Interesting news. They can do that because they are a International Sport -Spread around several countries with proper structures. The Cricket Authoritories are International minded.
We noticed some PNG Women Cricket players getting selfies with Chris Gayle in Sydney or Melbourne.
Compare that with the 2014 International Cup - The PNG Flames could not travel because no sponsors could be found.
IMHO the new Womens League will be a replica of the Mens AFL in all respects.
I can see Rookie set ups being introduced but similar to the men - Not the above BBL/WBBL schemes.

If they had half a brain, they'd ensure each AFL women's side had a minimum of one international player.

Even if that player never ran on the park for that side, the purpose would be to teach those players as much coaching skills as possible for them to take home.

Keep repeating that year after year to help develop places like Europe and North America.

Only marginally connected to the national comp. For those still unsure why Queensland has displaced SA from the top tier of footy in the womens game. The AFL Queensland Schools cup has received nominations for over 100 girls teams. Even considering for primary schools, it is only 12 a side, rising to 16 for the seniors, thats a lot of girls. Presumably, quite a few of them do not play outside school, so even a modest conversion rate equates to a lot of growth. This in turn looks good for Queensland next year, but more particularly, the few years after that.

Only marginally connected to the national comp. For those still unsure why Queensland has displaced SA from the top tier of footy in the womens game. The AFL Queensland Schools cup has received nominations for over 100 girls teams. Even considering for primary schools, it is only 12 a side, rising to 16 for the seniors, thats a lot of girls. Presumably, quite a few of them do not play outside school, so even a modest conversion rate equates to a lot of growth. This in turn looks good for Queensland next year, but more particularly, the few years after that.

Actually Queensland has a lot to do with the National comp being brought forward. Why - Here is the answer ---When the 2015 QLD Womens participation figures (60,000) after the 2015 footy season were released a lot of AFL people/fans were very surprised including myself.
However two of the people who count noticed as well- Gillon McLachlan and Mike Fitzpatrick.
They both made statements that the AFL would be reluctant to let those girls drift off back to other sports if nothing was done to keep them interested. After that Gillon.M. made his announcement about the 2017 Start Date.
South Australia have been late to the party however footy politics will probably mean one team from there. That does not mean they will displace QLD.

Actually Queensland has a lot to do with the National comp being brought forward. Why - Here is the answer ---When the 2015 QLD Womens participation figures (60,000) after the 2015 footy season were released a lot of AFL people/fans were very surprised including myself.
However two of the people who count noticed as well- Gillon McLachlan and Mike Fitzpatrick.
They both made statements that the AFL would be reluctant to let those girls drift off back to other sports if nothing was done to keep them interested. After that Gillon.M. made his announcement about the 2017 Start Date.
South Australia have been late to the party however footy politics will probably mean one team from there. That does not mean they will displace QLD.
It was what I never understood about the `it is to soon, the womens comp should grow from the ground up argument`. It has always been obvious that a need to keep the top end talent engaged in the sport is driving a lot of the haste. It is no good building the base, if all the best sporting talent, that you would need for an elite comp, walks out the door for greener pastures.

It is also the driver behind the talent search just about to start, getting the talent that has already walked out the door, to walk back in.

Reports that Katie Klatt, an American playing footy in Sacramento is coming to Australia in Feb to attend the Sydney talent search session, with the ambition of being selected for an academy spot, and then making an AFL team on 2017.

Already 2 Canadians here specifically for footy. Think there are a few others as well, but they may not be here for footy.

It would be interesting having a few internationals involved from the start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reports that Katie Klatt, an American playing footy in Sacramento is coming to Australia in Feb to attend the Sydney talent search session, with the ambition of being selected for an academy spot, and then making an AFL team on 2017.

Already 2 Canadians here specifically for footy. Think there are a few others as well, but they may not be here for footy.

It would be interesting having a few internationals involved from the start.

Given the current state of development Internationally it would be likely that 3 countries will have players that may want to get involved.
Ireland - USA - Canada.

Only 9 days to go for the Talent Searches starting at first on the 30th. It will be interesting to see how the media cover them.

Vic womens talent search on today, with 160 attending. Noticed Kirsten Veals name (3 time WNBL championship player and Opals representative). Do not think the other states will get as many, but combined will probably attract more. So ball park figures of 350 players. As it is a requirement that you not be currently involved in footy, that is enough new players for 10 teams right there.

Vic womens talent search on today, with 160 attending. Noticed Kirsten Veals name (3 time WNBL championship player and Opals representative). Do not think the other states will get as many, but combined will probably attract more. So ball park figures of 350 players. As it is a requirement that you not be currently involved in footy, that is enough new players for 10 teams right there.

For those who dont read the AFL Website the article/video below talks about the talent camp held in Melbourne on Saturday managed by the now high profile Daisy Pearce.
AFL Vic have already established the main Womens Academy and they have said an additional development one to cater for another 30 players is to be set up.
It will be interesting to know the eventual conversion rate to playing from the Talent Search Camps.
Noticed the AFL commentator threw out the comment -AFL W (AFL Women) Wonder if it will stick and it looks like March is still the main announcement month.
The skyrocketing in popularity Big Bash league gets a mention - They are now competitors to our Womens Game for talent.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-25/pearce-impressed-by-womens-talent-on-show-in-melbourne?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed:+AFL+Latest+News

Last edited:
For those who dont read the AFL Website the article/video below talks about the talent camp held in Melbourne on Saturday managed by the now high profile Daisy Pearce.
AFL Vic have already established the main Womens Academy and they have said an additional development one to cater for another 30 players is to be set up.
It will be interesting to know the eventual conversion rate to playing from the Talent Search Camps.
We think the media will get fully on board further down the track after formation of the league.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-...m=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed:+AFL+Latest+News
Noticed the Vic high performance academy coach saying he thought that people who thought there was not enough talent were kidding themselves.
This is the guy who said the academy only had 30 players at a high enough level. Here he says it has gone from 30 to 70 in a few months. Largely because most had not previously had high level coaching, so that improvement has been rapid. He expects Vic to have 100 players at the required level this year. If other states see similar results, there is your league.

Noticed the Vic high performance academy coach saying he thought that people who thought there was not enough talent were kidding themselves.
This is the guy who said the academy only had 30 players at a high enough level. Here he says it has gone from 30 to 70 in a few months. Largely because most had not previously had high level coaching, so that improvement has been rapid. He expects Vic to have 100 players at the required level this year. If other states see similar results, there is your league.

Make it happen, the women's game will increase rapidly.

"Build it and they will come"

Spotted some surnames of those who had played footy in the trial results. I have a feeling they added a few 'newer' or 'fringe' players to help boost the numbers a bit.

The QWAFL fixture is out and is filling a couple of pieces of the puzzle.

Melbourne will take on Queensland (as the Suns or Lions) on May 22.

This could mean the Vic v WA curtain raiser to the Dogs v Eagles game in June might be the Bulldogs v WA (Eagles or Dockers) women's match.

They also have a bye in place for a "Women's Exhibition Match" on the bye week before AFL finals.

Spotted some surnames of those who had played footy in the trial results. I have a feeling they added a few 'newer' or 'fringe' players to help boost the numbers a bit.
Saw a tweet about a bendigo thunder player being one of the 19 players that got selected from the trial for the academy. I think she was injured last year. Made me think, if you are looking to be in the national comp next year, you really need to be in the premier division.

The only criteria for the trials was not being currently involved.

So, putting 2 and 2 together. Jess misses a lot of last year, and is looking to move to a Melbourne premier league club in preparation for 2017. If she holds off joining a club, she becomes eligible for the trials, being not currently involved in footy. Smashes it at trials, gets her on the academy. Puts her in front of selectors noses. Then she goes to a premier league club. Big win for her.

All guesswork of course, but I suspect individuals using the trials as a short cut is more likely than number padding

Found this article while looking for stuff on the Talent Camp held in Perth yesterday. The spokesman is asking AFL House to think big with the new comp and is looking for 10 initial teams.
The task the AFL has is not a small one. 18 AFL Clubs to have a team - 18 x 30 player Squads =540 players or 18 x 35 player Squads -630 players.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...7/news-story/4ae417377716a85bbf5bc9731e9bb244

Late news - Found a photo of the Talent Camp - It had 37 girls in a semi circle indoors. It rained all day yesterday in Perth.

Last edited:
Here is video from CH7 Perth on the Perth camp. Apparently 61 players attended

Michelle Cowan and Daisy Pearce have been hired by the MFC. Cowan in a football role but Daisy not yet.

Yet. Feel like Dees are all but assured of a license.

Are the Dees pre empting here. What happens if in the new comp, they get a team, but do not get Daisy? Can you play for 1 club and work for another?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back