Review Round 1 2016 St Kilda vs Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldnt ask for much more than we got today.

Agreed. Always thought they would run over us with our poor preparation.

Our first three quarters were fantastic. When we ran out of legs we were cannon fodder.

In other good news Paddy with 7 goals, Minch with 44 possessions and Sandy win by 150.

We have got plenty to work with.

Slow burn build up to a tilt in 2017 onwards

Proud of the effort the boys had in the first three quarters, we ran out of legs in the last and it showed, some inconsistent umpiring when the game was out of our reach just frustrated me. These are the games that will get confidence in our younger players, they just need to see the game out on top, will come with experience.

Going to be interesting come selection, not sure who should be dropped after just one round, or who could come in. Hope we go into next week with the confidence that we can do it against any team and really test the dogs. Power stepped up a gear in that last quarter and we weren't able to go with them.

Disappointing last quarter, but for 3 quarters it was arguably top 3 with best game of the round thus far, our problem was that we played Port as opposed to one of the other mobs that failed to show up and sucked the fat one. Pleasing to see that the boys managed to salvage something score wise and crack the ton, could have simply watched as Port overran us, but they still tried.

Worrying is that when Port stepped up a gear, we couldn't really go with for most of it, so do need to work on sorting that out as our best is definitely good enough.

One of the more biased games of commentating i have heard. Were just waiting for port to do something. Took to the final min to say anything decent about the saints.

Anyway. Worried about our fitness but will give it a couple of weeks to pass judgement.

Positives ;
Hickey. Just fantastic. Taps to ad and work around the ground tops.
Our midfield for 3 quarters took it up to port and beat them. Missing perhaps a little class and outside finishing.
Tackling and effort. A+
Acres third quarter was scarey good. There was a moment on half forward where he moved the player out 9f the way to create a passage forward. Could become a very important player going forward.
Gresham showed alot. That moment in the last minute showed he is a very good midfielder.
Backline held up very well except for geary. Finding a could of small defenders this year is very important. Rice anyone?

Scoreboard means nothing. Very happy with how we played. In two years time we win that game by 5 goals!!!

Gresham was free on a few occassions which could have got on the end of a few but we blazed away. He has got extremely good game sense.
I knew Hickey could do this sort of performance, just I don't think he had the confidence to do that considering he was playing 2nd fiddle to Longer.
We probably would have saved a coupla goals if Carlisle was playing. Just unfortunate we don't have another tall down back.
Acres seems the type of player that gets better as the game gets on.. maybe due to players tiring, seems to fit his type of tempo. First Quarter seemed a little lost but got better obviously.
Steven what a champ keeps battling on, didn't stop.
I actually don't see Billings as a midfielder. He should be more of a Wingard/Gray type. More damaging up forward than his presence in the midfield.

The players we wanted to take a step forward this year delivered, namely big Hickey and Ross. Huge game by both with Weller, Lonie and Acres (in patches) progressing very nicely.

We have 2 very good young ruckman on our list. Hickey is a ruckman and not a forward, it is so clear when Hickey is given the number one ruck role. Do we go with Hickey or Longer? It's going to be a big debate for the year as its really not fair to force Hickey into becoming a forward when he could be Goldtsein esque with more games under his belt.

On another positive, Steven is immense. Going to win another BNF this year, and probably his first AA.

Ross continues to develop and he has arrived. Clearly overtaken Dunstan, and shows that sometimes it takes a while, even for midfielders.

Speaking of taking a while, Acres warmed into the match and got better as the match went on. I'm pretty sure he'll make it!

Fisher was obviously monstered by Dixon, but battled hard and won some contests. We got smashed by run in that last quarter, and was hardly Fish's fault when it was coming in that often and fast.

It was disappointing it blew out after being in it for so long. The fitness was a serious issue. Was it due to lack of match practice? Are port just superior gut runners? Did we spend our petrol tickets in the first half? I don't know the answer, but it was the difference in the game.

Overall tho, I said I'd be happy with anything under 6 goals, and we achieved this. And for much of the match I had a smile on my face. Onwards and upwards my fellow saints supporters. We're on the right track! Believe!

I don't know why but I am just pissed that we were in a good position and seemed to stop. Just sick of losing
There's many factors for our drop off mate.

We've had an interrupted pre-season...this was basically our 3rd NAB challenge game and if that performance over 3 quarters is anything to go by I think we'll be super competitive this year.

Yes it was difficult to watch, I myself was getting frustrated. But this is going to be a long process. These kids are still only 21-22 years old and will work their way into it as the season progresses. From what I saw before we ran out of gas was that we dominated contested possession, killed Port in clearances and really did some damage in mid turnover - the main focus for us coming into the game. We applied great pressure and to be honest with you we were resolute in defense despite Port having 88% of the ball in their forward half for the first half of the last quarter.

I know it's tough to see us lose but look at what we actually did accomplish. Bar last year Port are a top four side, and to match it with them IN ADELAIDE for three quarters is terrific.

All in all you should be proud of the way the boys went about it today...whilst we could've won the game you don't win by playing 3 quarters. The drop off in the last was evident and we got overrun in the end, but it shouldn't diminish the work we did from Q1-Q3. Plenty of positives for the year.

Gresh is a natural midfielder but was put fwd because he doesnt yet have the tank for AFL. A bit like Crawf in his first two years.
I am fairly sure he is going to make the grade. Looks clean when he gets it.

Summary:
  • I am very pleased. 100 points against a probable finalist interstate. We matched them for 3 quarters. Before the game I think we all would have taken that. Bookies had us at $6 but we played like we were $3.

Negatives:
  • Obviously under-sized overall. Carlisle & Paddy would have been handy.
  • Some ? marks over Eli and Dunstan and maybe Savage and Geary as well. Good news is we have cover in those positions with Minch, DMac, Sincs all very close to selection. Freeman a possible as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

aussierulesrules
Please
We've had just as much time to get fit as 17 other teams? In fact the finalists from last year have been training less than us.
Maybe I'm sick of people on here accepting mediocrity? 'It was a great loss', 'We gave it all', 'we don't have the miles in our legs', 'we were great for three quarters', what a lot of bullshit.

Will you accept these excuses if we are 2-7 or 1-8? You have to take your chances, check out our draw.

Love Big Mart.

Acres- The most encouraging thing about Blake today was obviously in the third quater when he managed to get 10 disposals
. Two reasons specifcally about this. Firstly including the brisabane game last year where he had ten disposals in the the first quater that is now twice where Acres has had 10 disposals in a quarter and in just 11 games. Im trying to think of any our current crop of young players and past young players and i dont think many if any have been able to achieve that feat. What this shows is that he can really accumilate and with more game time (68 per cent) and more timein the middle i only expect this to get better. Secondly in the third quarter it wasn't just the factt hat he got 10 disposals but he was really able to impact and put his mark on the game. I personally felt was just expecting him to be the next one with the ball or to take a mark or lay a tackle I cant say ive really had this feeling with many of our other young lpayers, to me thats whats so good about this guy. Give him time and he will get there remember its only his 11th gme 4/5 of which were as a sub. lastly today he really seemed like a marking threat and his prowess in the ir was really intriging

aussierulesrules
Please
We've had just as much time to get fit as 17 other teams? In fact the finalists from last year have been training less than us.
Maybe I'm sick of people on here accepting mediocrity? 'It was a great loss', 'We gave it all', 'we don't have the miles in our legs', 'we were great for three quarters', what a lot of bullshit.

Will you accept these excuses if we are 2-7 or 1-8? You have to take your chances, check out our draw.

Love Big Mart.
If the effort is there I don't care if we finish 0-22, these players are still forging their own careers and most haven't even played 30 games of football yet. Port were a kick away from a grand final in 2014. Yes they dropped off last year but the core of their group is still there. To be able to bring a young inexperienced side to Adelaide and match it with a potential top four team for 3 quarters is an unbelievable effort. You should be disappointed when we play with no gusto, you should be proud when we play like this. That's footy. You win some you lose some. But you'll win more than you lose with effort like that. Good on them.

Great game, great effort. We were right in it for most of the game. Surely the boys will take a lot of belief from that game. I don't know if they go in to these games we "shouldn't" win with a mindset of lets just be competitive. I think they might actually backed themselves a little bit more after this.

Kicked 100 points with little to no impact from Roo which was pleasing.

Templeton out for Minch would be my only change for next week.

Kicked 100 points with little to no impact from Roo which was pleasing.

Templeton out for Minch would be my only change for next week.
Paddy kicked 7. I reckon he can fit into next week's side.

aussierulesrules
Please

Love Big Mart.

It's also a case of measuring us against our expectations. Have a look at the pre-season W/L exercise Persevering Saint put together. Most tipped us for a big loss. Yet we managed to match it with them for 3 quarters. Against a side that many predicted to jump back into the top 8 and even top 4. At a ground/state we are notoriously wretched at.

Yes a disappointing last quarter. But you need to be realistic, today would have been a massive upset had we got over the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back