Review Round 1 2016 St Kilda vs Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

If the effort is there I don't care if we finish 0-22, these players are still forging their own careers and most haven't even played 30 games of football yet. Port were a kick away from a grand final in 2014. Yes they dropped off last year but the core of their group is still there. To be able to bring a young inexperienced side to Adelaide and match it with a potential top four team for 3 quarters is an unbelievable effort. You should be disappointed when we play with no gusto, you should be proud when we play like this. That's footy. You win some you lose some. But you'll win more than you lose with effort like that. Good on them.
As for the rest of his post that you didn't address; By 10 games we'll have the match fitness, especially after the opening 5 rounds, which are our toughest by far.

It's almost universally agreed we have one of, if not the easiest fixture this season. Hard to see us getting to that paranoid level of underperformance.

The Champion data player ratings. Interesting that Seb Ross is so low and Geary is so high.
CeiftNDXIAQng8y.jpg:large

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-27_17-35-34.png
    upload_2016-3-27_17-35-34.png
    94 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:

So proud of the effort and pressure today. We've definitely improved!
The players we wanted to stand up this year did. That game was a lot closer than most of us probably thought it would be. The score board sadly doesn't reflect how close it was.
I think missing that NAB in Mackay hurt us in the end. I'm excited about this year and even more excited about 2017. We're definitely on the right track!!

Kicked 100 points with little to no impact from Roo which was pleasing.

Templeton out for Minch would be my only change for next week.

Lonie bobbed up with 3 which was encouraging. And Bruce managed two goals despite being double-teamed and the ball getting bombed on top of him all day. His awareness to take off from the mark to kick his second was superb as well.

Really glad to see Ross do what he did today. 30 touches, not as effective as usual but a great start to the year. Gonna be a joy to watch if he can keep it up.

Hickey was awesome but he tired in the last quarter being the lone ruckman and that's where we lost it.

We should bring Longer in to do the bulk of the ruckwork with Hickey playing the swingman ruck role between half forward and half back.

That was one of the keys to our success in 97 with Lazar Vidovic and Spida Everitt, we would have won a flag if they didn't get injured.

Solid by Hickey, Acres 3rd qtr was brilliant and Lonies left foot is lethal at goal. Good to see Ross bought his own footy today too with 30 touches

Only disappointments where the fact we ran out of legs, undersized backline, Gearys disposal. But overall 3 fantastic quarters over in Adelaide

Only change I'd make for next week is Templeton out McCartin in. Let Roo get up the ground a bit more while keeping some type of structure in the fwdline, with Billings/Lonie/Gresham around. Exciting!

I believe that Richo has the right gameplan with this running game.
I figure hes just gona persist with it till hes got the soldiers to carry it out for 4 quaters.
If it means loosing games like that and we end up down the bottom for the next 2 seasons.
I say stick with it and load up on high end picks.. Its a good strategy. The team will be better for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah our pre season was a bit shitty cos of losing 1 game to gain important match fitness, but its not the end of the world. The fitness will improve.
Once it does, if we play with the same intensity that we did today then we are a red hot chance to beat anybody in the bottom 8.
And a chance to cause 1 or 2 upsets of more fancied teams. But id need to see us play quite a few more games to be able to judge if weve improved or got worse from last yrs form.
Greesham showed some promising signs, Hickey, Acres played their best games. Jack , Armo showed they should continue their good form.
Had a few guys who are pushing for selection play very well for Sandy which is great for the team.
Savage, Eli, Geary all below average. But its only rnd 1. Cant praise or rubbish anybody too much until we see more than 1 games form.
Dissapointing tired finish but still some real promising signs IMO.

Acres- The most encouraging thing about Blake today was obviously in the third quater when he managed to get 10 disposals
. Two reasons specifcally about this. Firstly including the brisabane game last year where he had ten disposals in the the first quater that is now twice where Acres has had 10 disposals in a quarter and in just 11 games. Im trying to think of any our current crop of young players and past young players and i dont think many if any have been able to achieve that feat. What this shows is that he can really accumilate and with more game time (68 per cent) and more timein the middle i only expect this to get better. Secondly in the third quarter it wasn't just the factt hat he got 10 disposals but he was really able to impact and put his mark on the game. I personally felt was just expecting him to be the next one with the ball or to take a mark or lay a tackle I cant say ive really had this feeling with many of our other young lpayers, to me thats whats so good about this guy. Give him time and he will get there remember its only his 11th gme 4/5 of which were as a sub. lastly today he really seemed like a marking threat and his prowess in the ir was really intriging

Agree.

Also remember Acres is only 20y 5 months old.

In comparison:

Ross = 22y 11 months
Dunstan = 21y 1 month
Curren = 23y 7 months
Minch = 22y 3 months
Sinclair = 21y 1 month

One of the most powerful statements today was from Mav Weller. No question, the guy is a leader.

Stood up when it meant something today.

Super impressed by him, there was question marks about him when we recruited him from GC but he works hard and fires up his teammates.

He dropped off a bit in the 2nd half but he wasn't the lone ranger there.

Like honestly who had us beating Port before the season started? I doubt anyone did. The dogs next week is a game I think we should win , so if we don't then that's when I'll be disappointed.

Positives
Competitive effort for 3/4 quarters
Game plan much better after a hitout v Dees.
Steven
Hickey
Ross
Acres
Gresh

Negatives (not big on bagging our own)
Sorry Gears - 100% determination. 10% DE terrible today and just hit too many port jumpers.

Deliberate out call by ump in Q1. Shocking decision

Purely on form I would say:

In: McCartin, Minchington
Out: Riewoldt, Eli

In reality going on Coach's form probably more like:

In: McCartin, Sinclair
Out: Templeton, Gresham

Fisher 13 x 1%ers.
Dunstan 9 x tackles.

The question is can we play all of Armo, Ross and Dunstan in the same 22 every week? I am not sure we can. Too similar for mine. Dunstan is on thin ice.

share the sentiments about hickey and acres (particularly third quarter). Gresham looked solid enough for a first gamer. I don't think we are too far off being a good side- the areas that killed us we will address in the next couple of years eg. carlisle coming in to handle the likes of dixon etc. also a couple of out and out stars, wingard and gray were the difference. also geary's kicking is diabolical and what has happened to shinna's dukes, he's been dropping some he usually gobbles up the past couple of weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back