Review Round 1 2016 St Kilda vs Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Opposition supporters are often guilty of patronising the defeated when visiting team boards in the aftermath of games.

Not in this case.

Exemplary performance today. Plenty of slick interplay, especially on the counter-attack, with everything underpinned by a fearlessness and steel you don't usually see from rebuilding sides away from home.

Might've even nicked it had a certain human battleship not been sidelined with Ryfries. Sam Fisher was like watching the third act of 300 by the end. Absolute warrior who finally yielded to the incessant barrage.

It's obviously 12 months or so too early for your gaggle of wunderkinds, but Richardson is a gem with a very very strong blueprint for the future in much the same way Luke Beveridge has primed the Dogs.

All the best for the rest of the year.
Nice post. Thanks for venturing over. We have a bit to work with.

We are on a slow burn and we need to keep improving. Glad to have given you guys a bit of a fright.
Good game today.

Opposition supporters are often guilty of patronising the defeated when visiting team boards in the aftermath of games.

Not in this case.

Exemplary performance today. Plenty of slick interplay, especially on the counter-attack, with everything underpinned by a fearlessness and steel you don't usually see from rebuilding sides away from home.

Might've even nicked it had a certain human battleship not been sidelined with Ryfries. Sam Fisher was like watching the third act of 300 by the end. Absolute warrior who finally yielded to the incessant barrage.

It's obviously 12 months or so too early for your gaggle of wunderkinds, but Richardson is a gem with a very very strong blueprint for the future in much the same way Luke Beveridge has primed the Dogs.

All the best for the rest of the year.

Great post mate. Not impressed with the booing of Roo - what's that about? But as you say a rebuilding side showing some fearlessness and steel gives us confidence for the years ahead. Good luck to you blokes as well - you have some big hardened boys who have talent

I thought in the 3rd quarter alone, we saw enough from Acres to suggest he is going to be more than a foot soldier. Yeah he still makes some errors, as you could expect from a player who has barely played at AFL level, but he was in 3-4 scoring chains in that 10 minute period where we were flying. Was up there with our best in that quarter.

Acres is great in close, he just kept winning the ball in the 3rd quarter and played a big part in us getting out to the 21 point lead. I am convinced that once he gets used to the pace of the game he will not make nearly as many kicking errors. His kicking problems are more decision based than technical. I really believe we must just keep pumping games into him and he will deliver in spades!

One general observation. I know its only round 1 but this game as opposed to the last 2 years there was a reduction in skill errors. We were slick for most of the game which is in stark contrast to 2014/15 where I it would be painful to watch the basic skill errors...

Hoping this is a sign of things to come, i.e. the norm rather than the exception

Thought Gilbert was immense as a mid - he's that tall mid we need (along with Acres). Acres 3rd quarter has now convinced me he will make it - we just need to give him time.

Hickey was so dominant - its been a while since we've had such a ruck! BOG for mine...

What's even better is that Paddy, Minchi and Sinclair were strong today in the VFL. Thats what we want to see - players too good for VFL. Healthy competition. Paddy will be in next week for sure.

Gilbert's game was underrated. An absolute beast in the middle. 27 touches, 5 tackles & a goal.

Yes. Gilbert is one of the bigger winners of contested ball.
So was Geary and Dunstan only got 10 disposals, but 8 contested is ok.

Winning contested ball is important.
If you lose contested ball its worse than a turnover.
Hence Geary doesn't lose his job yet.

Acres will be more than a foot soldier. Only 20y 5 months.
Most players dont really get going until they are 21-22yo. e.g Seb Ross Turns 23 in May.
Acres might come out a beast in a year or two. Just needs game time and no injuries.
You beat me to it. Acres is young in his draft year it would seem, so has more developing to do. He is building a tank, but is probably 3 years from reaching top level. Only 20.....I think he will just keep improving.

'The Saints kicked out to a 21-point lead 20 minutes into the third term when Cameron Bruce kicked a goal and were on track to record a big upset at Adelaide Oval.' - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-...h-alan-richardson-bemoans-conservative-saints

Seriously.. How f****** hard is it to get a guy's name right?! Jack Steven/Stevens is bad enough, but Cameron is a whole different name that's not even remotely close to Josh. AFL media is the absolute worst.

My random thoughts..

Hickey was a beast today. Wonderful game..but now the challenge is to back it up for a few weeks. Have seen the isolated game like this before. Dont want him to be another Stanley and never string 2 or more good games together

Put a fit and firing Freezer, JC and Paddy into that side...and we'll worry most teams.

The Clubs platitudes about Mackay not affecting our preparation turned out to be exactly that. Im convinced it was a factor in our fade. Wasnt just the kids who fell away.

Chips was mighty on Dixon who had a mare til he got the cheap ones at the end. Sadly he'll be asked to do that most weeks I reckon.

Was might proud of our effort today, but also loved that Richo didn't offer excuses or blame "a young side fading" etc. Get the impression he wont cop too many "honourable losses" this year, which I absolutely love.

Savage has lost his mojo in a big way..and we need it back. gave off the "cop out" little chip kick from full back more often than not.

Acres found heaps of the footy but his disposal doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Jack Steven ..a s**t load of the ball..at 44% DE ...its the only thing stopping him becoming absolutely A+ elite.

Next week? Paddy/Sincs for Gresh/Eli. If they finally want to give Minch another go..then Sav makes way for mine.

Too early for INS and OUTS?

For mine, Roo looked awfully proppy late in the game, and I'd hate to have him lame for his 300th.

Dunstan wasn't the same after his knock, nor was Dempster after the head clash, Gresh was encouraging but maybe doesn't hold his spot and Eli probably didn't do enough to hold off Minch and Sinclair.

With Minch (44 disposals, 3 goals), Sinclair (27 disposals, 4 goals), Paddy (25 disposals, 15 marks, 7 goals) and Skunk (17 disposals, 11 marks, 4 goals) all having days out against (an admittedly weak) Box Hill, you have to say they've put themselves up in lights for a gig next week.

Sadly none of the key defenders seem to have been noteworthy, but when you've played back in a 150-point win its hard to be. On top of that, the Million Dollar Man aside, the Dogs don't have a tall forward line.

Very tentatively;
OUT: Templeton, Gresham, Dunstan (inj.)
IN: Minchington, McCartin, Sinclair

FB: Geary - Fisher - Webster
HB: Roberton - Dempster - Savage
RK: Hickey - Armitage - Ross
CR: Gilbert - Steven - Montagna
HF: Weller - Riewoldt - Billings
FF: Sinclair - Bruce - McCartin
IC: Acres Minchington Newnes Lonie

Fisher to Stringer, Gilbert to Bontempelli and Weller to Murphy/Wood and we're away.

'The Saints kicked out to a 21-point lead 20 minutes into the third term when Cameron Bruce kicked a goal and were on track to record a big upset at Adelaide Oval.' - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-...h-alan-richardson-bemoans-conservative-saints

Seriously.. How f****** hard is it to get a guy's name right?! Jack Steven/Stevens is bad enough, but Cameron is a whole different name that's not even remotely close to Josh. AFL media is the absolute worst.
ha... that reminds me...last year on AFL teams...
ACeG3Qr.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven Excellent as usual.

Hickey Immense everywhere, impressive. He's going to go to another level this year.

Ross really good until he got tired, then the skills and decision making waned.

Monty OK, has lost a bit of toe.

Armo was a tank in the middle extracting.

Gilbo really good, still can’t kick.

Weller beast.

Newnes, Savage, Webster, Robo, Fisher, Geary, Dempster all worked very well as a solid unit.

Acres did some really good things.

Billings should’ve been used more. So many times he was all alone 50m out and we just didn’t spot him or was ignored. Maybe he needs to yell louder? Intelligent man.

Dunstan got cleaned up early and was quiet afterwards. Still tackled hard.

Bruce was allowed a decent run at it when Rooey would shepherd for him to mark.

Lonie quiet apart from his goals. Probably needs to go through the middle more to help rotations, we needed his nippiness in the last.

Roo was sluggish.

Gresham quiet but looks to get to the right spots. Can’t wait for him to explode.

Templeton I saw him just about everywhere, surprised he didn't get many touches. He looked knackered in the last.

Dislikes, first half umpiring was absolute rat s**t both ways. Our spoiling our own team mates continues but I saw some improvement.

However, gotta say I was very happy with our performance. Forgetting the last quarter because we were clearly spent (the Queensland flood affected us). We were all over them, the pressure was great, we won clearances and had quick clean hands moving it around. I lost count of how many goals we nabbed from the goalsquare. What I really liked was that it was probably the best I’ve seen our forward line work for a while. I know this isn’t the way it works, but if we had the fitness we would’ve dealt with Port. We just couldn't move in the last.

ha... that reminds me...last year on AFL teams...
ACeG3Qr.jpg
Javerkick Weller and just one Bruce? Shameful.

Super disappointing with the final 10 minutes but so much to be proud of it subsides.

Wouldnt be surprised if Dunstan cracked a rib during that tackle, he looked in a world of pain. Lets see if he gets back up next week.

Let's be honest here and not biased, we had a massive score kicked against us by a team playing with one less player.

Acres is slow and a below average kick, is a foot soldier at best.

Hickey was excellent, good on him.

Geary is poorly skilled, has been turning it over for years.

Fisher was great, problem with getting Jake next year is that Fish won't be there.

Seb was very good, but slowish which is frustrating.

Dunstan, doesn't get enough of the ball and is genuinely slow. Hence my trade thoughts earlier this week.

Eli, just don't understand his selection ahead of Sinclair, very odd. Sinclair is everything Eli is not.

Jack Steven a star, Roo under done, no real tall forward who could catch it and no tall defender to punch it.

There is a Bloke who is slow , can't kick over a jam tin plays for west coast
Developed into reasonable player.

Think he might have won a Brownlow too.

Was pretty average his first 50 games.

Last edited:
Overall for the first game of 2016 we played pretty bloody well, remember guys we were/are being primed for finals in 2018. So to play like we did today for 3/4 of a game against seasoned opposition bodes well for the future, top effort by all players out there today, they definitely have given us something to look forward to.

Not sure its been mentioned but the elephant in the room. What happens to Longer if he is fit? Acres is going to be frustrating for a while. Got a lot of it which is a skill in itself but kicks only fair and looks a little slow. Good game though. Hickey and Steven clearly best. Great effort by the boys. Just ran out of legs.

Not sure its been mentioned but the elephant in the room. What happens to Longer if he is fit? Acres is going to be frustrating for a while. Got a lot of it which is a skill in itself but kicks only fair and looks a little slow. Good game though. Hickey and Steven clearly best. Great effort by the boys. Just ran out of legs.

I have said for ages Hickey is the clubs best ruckman.
Longer can develop inthe twos while Tom plays like that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back