Preview Round 3, Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Sat 9th April, 4.35pm, SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Hoping this will be a good contest and an exciting match. Four weeks ago you might have thought GWS could go into this game having the edge with Swannies a bit off the boil, but that situation has reversed. Swans have looked outstanding in many areas in the first two competition rounds with smashing wins, while GWS have staggered at times, doing just enough to hold on for one win, while losing a game it should have won. Swans have Buddy in form, GWS has lost Cameron and neither Lobb or Patton are kicking the goals. Ultimately, though, it's likely to be the midfield where the game is won and lost, with the backline also needing to stand firm as they have (mostly) done for the last two weeks. Mumford is a key for us in taking the game up to Swans, while Griff needs to reprise his form against the Cats, and Ward, Shiel and Cogs need to hit top gear to cover Parker and Mitchell. It can be done - it has been done - but it won't be easy.

We're going to need to have lots (if not everything) go right for us; the team needs to ensure no slow starts, no fade-outs, no silly penalties, no cute plays that hand the ball straight over to the Swans.

It will be interesting to see which way GWS jump in the Marchbank replacement. If Swans play only the two tall forwards in Buddy and Tippett/Sinclair, we don't necessarily need to go too tall. But with Buddy, Papley & Heeney, we do need to be fast & nimble - but Buntine, Wilson & Kennedy have skills there (not necessarily up against Buddy though). While on the face of it Nick Haynes would be a good option in terms of skills, not sure he'd be fit enough yet. Similar for Joel Patfull, though probably closer to fitness, and his experience would be welcome. There's been a couple of suggestions for Tommo. Given his extreme tank, plus height & bulk, I do agree that he could do a similar job as against Reiwoldt (last year) if required on Buddy, but could equally work on the others. Cross fingers the selection committee get the choice right.

Confident about this week.
Extra rest and easier game{etihad is a killer on the feet and legs}
Dont think swans rucks are up to our standard.
The young new swans players will struggle against our physicality at the ball.
Our spread is to quick for them.
Not sure if their backline can stand up to our bigger forwards.
Mids could be a contest for everyone to enjoy.Cant pick the winner here.
A 2/1 start would be icing on the finals charge.
I suppose we need not show up then? Giants by 345

You moccacinno drinkers are very daunted by the task.
But allay your fears and accept a 41 point loss without injury.
haha, yes your prediction has been noted....Prepare to be torn apart by a bunch of 3rd gamers.....but seriously should be a ripping game, Giants playing exciting footy but so are we! A classic in the making?

You moccacinno drinkers are very daunted by the task.
But allay your fears and accept a 41 point loss without injury.
What absolute dribble! Surely you realise that drinking dairy milk is soooo 2013. It's almond milk piccolos these days...

With or without the side order of kale and quinoa?
Obv you would have already consumed your kale smoothie and activated quinoa earlier in the morning after yogalates..

I cannot see the swans backline being able to stop our forwards running rampant this week. They don't have anyone who can stop Lobb and Patton was out marking Taylor so he shouldn't have any issues with Richards(killed him last week too) or Grundy. Mummy should have a very similar affect on Sinclair/Tippett to what he did on the smith/Stanley combo which will go a long way to a Giants win - both sets of rucks are very similar in that they like to get a running jump at the ball and the type of rucks that mummy really goes to town on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are going to depend on our old stagers, like we usually do.

Mumford will need to bully Tippett/Sinclair to the point of ineffectiveness, as he did last week vs Smith.

Griffen will need to have another strong midfield performance. For an old guy who is taking up salary cap space which could have been used to keep Treloar, and who is taking up midfield minutes which could be used to speed the development of Kelly, Whitfield, Steele etc - performances like last week's should be normal. He needs to take over the game. We know he can because he did it routinely at the Bulldogs, and he did it last week.

Scully, Ward and Shiel will need to have good games too.

Swans forward line is definitely stronger than ours.

I think our defence is stronger than theirs. Davis and Shaw are elite, and other roles are well covered.

Overall it's going to come down to the midfield battle.

Swans can move the ball much quicker than us, and they have a dangerous forward line. If they get on top in the middle, they could pile on the goals.

We should have a physicality edge inside the midfield contest with Mumford, Griffen, Ward. We need to assert that to crunch them at the contests. Make the game about the contest, and win the contest.

I will be at the game, really looking forward to it, should be a good one.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are going to depend on our old stagers, like we usually do.

Mumford will need to bully Tippett/Sinclair to the point of ineffectiveness, as he did last week vs Smith.

Griffen will need to have another strong midfield performance. For an old guy who is taking up salary cap space which could have been used to keep Treloar, and who is taking up midfield minutes which could be used to speed the development of Kelly, Whitfield, Steele etc - performances like last week's should be normal. He needs to take over the game. We know he can because he did it routinely at the Bulldogs, and he did it last week.

Scully, Ward and Shiel will need to have good games too.

Swans forward line is definitely stronger than ours.

I think our defence is stronger than theirs. Davis and Shaw are elite, and other roles are well covered.

Overall it's going to come down to the midfield battle.

Swans can move the ball much quicker than us, and they have a dangerous forward line. If they get on top in the middle, they could pile on the goals.

We should have a physicality edge inside the midfield contest with Mumford, Griffen, Ward. We need to assert that to crunch them at the contests. Make the game about the contest, and win the contest.

I will be at the game, really looking forward to it, should be a good one.
Mate on what planet do the swans have a quicker midfield than us? Pfft they might have a better contested ball brigade with Kennedy and Mitchell and co. but we have pretty much every team in the comp stitched up for fast ball movement through the middle... Our whole game plan relies on it

Mate on what planet do the swans have a quicker midfield than us? Pfft they might have a better contested ball brigade with Kennedy and Mitchell and co. but we have pretty much every team in the comp stitched up for fast ball movement through the middle... Our whole game plan relies on it
He didnt say they were quicker he said we move the ball quicker....there is a big difference.

I cannot see the swans backline being able to stop our forwards running rampant this week. They don't have anyone who can stop Lobb and Patton was out marking Taylor so he shouldn't have any issues with Richards(killed him last week too) or Grundy. Mummy should have a very similar affect on Sinclair/Tippett to what he did on the smith/Stanley combo which will go a long way to a Giants win - both sets of rucks are very similar in that they like to get a running jump at the ball and the type of rucks that mummy really goes to town on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just on this, Smith and Stanley are both wiry athletic types who are made for Mummy, Tippett and Sinclair are much more solid and I would very surprised if Mummy smashed them like he did to the Geelong praying mantis ruck division. Having said that Mummy will prob win the ruck but it wont be a smashing. I also think you are under rating Grundy like everyone else does, but Richards is more or less cooked and could be exploited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back