Awesome attitude era moments

Remove this Banner Ad

"I need the old Stone Cold! Give me a Stunner, dammit!" :thumbsu:
21nqgwo.gif

Awesomely bad selling by Vinnie Mac. :p

re-watching it all now... i literally started from the beginning of 96 and i'm currently up to late 98
(this being over a 2-3 year period when I have had the time and inclination to watch... still a long way to go...)

there's still a lot of boring campy crap in 96 (ex. horrible gimmicks like plumber and hockey player wrestlers), but to really appreciate the Attitude Era later on and live the full experience, you really should start from 96... it's a slow burn... you get good background to the Bret v Shawn rivalry (Iron Man Match) and see the debuts of Austin, Rock, Foley.... great to see heel Austin still trying to work out his character and look throughout the year... 3:16 speech and Pillman's got a gun, Bret returns from exile... watching Shawn carry the company was a bit painful though... Vader should have been champ, but was happy that Sid got a run with the belt, guy was over on look alone

97 is when it all changes.... RAW goes 2 hours with RAW IS WAR... Bret turns heel and forms the New Hart Foundation and rivalries with Shawn and Austin... still a baby face in Canada but a heel in the US, Kane story line started months before Kane even debuts which was great... the rise of Austin and the Rock, 3 faces of Foley... then Screwjob and the "birth" of Mr.McMahon... leaving the commentary table to owning up that he owns the whole thing, birth of DX and the gang wars with the Nation and the New Hart Foundation and to a lesser extent, Los Boricuas and DOA... definitely a transition year going from New Gen Era to Attitude Era... watching a RAW episode from January and comparing it to a RAW episode from December is like night and day

98 is simply hot! the lead up to Austin v Shawn is great with Tyson thrown in, Taker v Kane... Foley becomes a real main eventer... Austin v McMahon and the merging of these storylines with the Austin/Taker/Kane/Mankind rivalry pretty much taking up the bulk of the year in the main event scene... Rock starts to get liked by the fans only for him to turn heel, but still getting liked... heel Rock rules

looking forward to the rest of the era when i get around to it, especially the tail end of it from mid 2000 until the WCW purchase which i missed out on at the time... might keep going with the Invasion (despite it being a big let down) if i ever get that far

Last edited:
re-watching it all now... i literally started from the beginning of 96 and i'm currently up to late 98
(this being over a 2-3 year period when I have had the time and inclination to watch... still a long way to go...)

1997 is one of my favourite years in WWF. I started 1997 about 8 years ago and currently up to the start of 2000 (just after No Way Out). Once Smackdown starts it slowed me down a bit but I find myself skipping through a bit more now, especially Smackdown episodes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but its also my favourite wrestlers best year as a heel. So i love it. Diesel as champ was s**t house though and the rest of the PPV were usually rubbish

At least we had the debut of Goldust in his original incarnation... the bizarre promos and innuendo was probably the very first subtle sign that the company was willing to try and do something "out of the box" that would eventually lead to Attitude

At least we had the debut of Goldust in his original incarnation... the bizarre promos and innuendo was probably the very first subtle sign that the company was willing to try and do something "out of the box" that would eventually lead to Attitude
we also had the goon you cant forget him

1995 was the dark ages of WWF

Mid-90s WWF was basically the same as the s**t we get now: Very child safe, wrestlers wearing colours in lieu of having a character, a deliberate choice to not try anything new and stick to a repetitive formula with repetitive outcomes.

"Oh oh but we get to watch Del Rio have 15-minute matches on Raw instead of 5-minute matches with a run-in ending the Attitude Era is soooooooooooo overrated!~@!"

Last edited:
I can't remember what pay per view it was at. But i think it was a 20 man hardcore title match that went for 30 minutes. Anyone could pin and hold the title until the time ran out, that was a hell of a match, I loved the build up in all hard core matches until they finally left the ring and searched under the ring for a weapon. Hardcore title matches were my favourite.

Oh and The Rock. I was only young he always made me laugh

I can't remember what pay per view it was at. But i think it was a 20 man hardcore title match that went for 30 minutes. Anyone could pin and hold the title until the time ran out, that was a hell of a match, I loved the build up in all hard core matches until they finally left the ring and searched under the ring for a weapon. Hardcore title matches were my favourite.

Oh and The Rock. I was only young he always made me laugh
You're not referring to the Hardcore title match at Wrestlemania 2000, are you?

You're not referring to the Hardcore title match at Wrestlemania 2000, are you?
Yeah! I think so. Hardcore Holly won I think?

Edit: that was It! Also had that awesome 3 team tag match for the tag titles, the 3- way match for both inter and European titles. And the epic 4-way for the world title. That was probably my favourite pay per view ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back