Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Heading back in December for the second time, absolutely had a blast the first time. (Only going for a couple of weeks)

2 Nights in LA
3 Nights in San Fran
3 Nights in Vegas
3 Nights in Utah
4 Nights in New York

Got some sport on the agenda

LA Kings and Hurricanes @ Staples
49ers and Jets in San Fran
Giants and Detroit in New York
Knicks Pacers in NY
OKC and Utah in Utah and Dallas and Utah in Utah

Probably stay in NY NY in Vegas, I stayed at the Luxor last time, any more recommendations here?

Heading back in December for the second time, absolutely had a blast the first time. (Only going for a couple of weeks)

2 Nights in LA
3 Nights in San Fran
3 Nights in Vegas
3 Nights in Utah
4 Nights in New York

Got some sport on the agenda

LA Kings and Hurricanes @ Staples
Giants and Detroit in New York
Knicks Pacers in NY
OKC and Utah in Utah and Dallas and Utah in Utah

Probably stay in NY NY in Vegas, I stayed at the Luxor last time, any more recommendations here?
Planet Hollywood is cheap and in a good spot. Has tonnes of resturants and shopping.
Cosmopolitan and Aria are both very, very nice hotels.

Avoid Caesers and Bellagio, both pretty overpriced for what you get.

Planet Hollywood is cheap and in a good spot. Has tonnes of resturants and shopping.
Cosmopolitan and Aria are both very, very nice hotels.

Avoid Caesers and Bellagio, both pretty overpriced for what you get.

Yeah PH was actually the second one i was looking at, we spent a lot of our time there when we there last time. Cosmo and Aria both on the strip yeah?

I stayed at the Monte Carlo 3 years ago. Was very happy with that. A reasonably priced Strip hotel.
I stayed at the Monte Carlo last year.

The reason I stayed there is that I also stayed there 10 years ago and had a great time. However when I was there last year I really noticed how run down the room was compared to the last time I was there. It is showing it's age.

My daughter did love the lazy river and wave pool though.

It is very reasonably priced compared to the other hotels on the strip.

Yeah PH was actually the second one i was looking at, we spent a lot of our time there when we there last time. Cosmo and Aria both on the strip yeah?
Cosmo's next to Bellagio, the balcony views of the fountain are insane. Aria is nextdoor. Both a really new, Aria is where a lot of celebrities stay.
Chandelier Bar at the Cosmo is a must, pretty awesome.

I stayed at the Monte Carlo last year.

The reason I stayed there is that I also stayed there 10 years ago and had a great time. However when I was there last year I really noticed how run down the room was compared to the last time I was there. It is showing it's age.

My daughter did love the lazy river and wave pool though.

It is very reasonably priced compared to the other hotels on the strip.
How olds your daughter? What's Vegas like with kids?

Any cities or towns people have been too and thought "that's scary". Looking for potentially dangerous places to avoid etc.

I've never come across anything dangerous during the day.

Almost every city has areas to avoid, as a tourist though there would be no reason to be in those areas so just do a bit of research and use some common sense and you should be fine.

I went to Vegas as part of a family holiday when I was 15 and it was so strange, definitely straight out of the movies in the touristy areas and then seedier further out. Those touts flicking advertisement cards at you for the peep shows on every Street corner are just disgusting. Offering it to my dad while she walks down the road with my mum and sister was ridiculous.

I think I counted maybe four people under 21 that I had seen during the five days we were there. There really isn't any reason to go there as a child

I went to Vegas as part of a family holiday when I was 15 and it was so strange, definitely straight out of the movies in the touristy areas and then seedier further out. Those touts flicking advertisement cards at you for the peep shows on every Street corner are just disgusting. Offering it to my dad while she walks down the road with my mum and sister was ridiculous.

I think I counted maybe four people under 21 that I had seen during the five days we were there. There really isn't any reason to go there as a child

just watch how Griswold did it with kids

Vegas_Vacation_Poster.jpg

She was 7 at the time.

Looking back on it now, I don't think it was a good idea to take kids to Vegas.

There is not much for them to do apart from hanging around the pool at the hotel.

We went down to Freemont St one afternoon as I wanted to do the zipline but there was lot of weird people walking around there. Saw Human Nature at the Venetian which my wife wanted to go to and my daughter enjoyed that.

I thought my daughter would get a kick out of seeing all the lights on the strip at night time and the fountains and so on but she could not care less about it.

She was 7 at the time.

Looking back on it now, I don't think it was a good idea to take kids to Vegas.

There is not much for them to do apart from hanging around the pool at the hotel.

We went down to Freemont St one afternoon as I wanted to do the zipline but there was lot of weird people walking around there. Saw Human Nature at the Venetian which my wife wanted to go to and my daughter enjoyed that.

I thought my daughter would get a kick out of seeing all the lights on the strip at night time and the fountains and so on but she could not care less about it.
Might give it a miss then. The pride festival in Amsterdam was probably enough for them last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how was it?
Just about to spend my first night in Colorado Springs.

Estes Park was great. A really cool little town at the base of RMNP with lots of restaurants and small shops. Got in late on the first afternoon and didnt do much.

Day 2 we were up early and did a couple of the hikes, nothing too crazy bit about 10km of hiking all up. Some awesome views.

Day 3 we were up early again and did the trail ridge road which is amazing, took us about 2 and a half hours. If you are going to Estes Park Id recommend doing everything early (we started in the park both days at around 7) as its alot quieter.

The vail was a different experience, such a cool village which is basically an upper class ski resort. We decided to stay at a nicer resort and splurge a bit on the day spa etc.

Will report back on Colorado Springs. Any questions feel free to ask.

head back to america for the 3rd time leaving next sunday

San Fran
Portland
Phoenix
Denver
Indianapolis
Cincinnati
Louisville
Nashville
Memphis
New Orleans
Chicago
Palm Springs
LA

most looking forward to Yosemite, Colts NFL game, Blackhawks NHL, Joshua Tree, USC Trojans game and hopefully a tour of Sedona in Phoenix.

Off to the US for the first time later in the year.

Doing New York City, Washington DC, Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Fransisco, Grand Canyon, Bass Lake, Yosemite National Park.

Just interested if anybody has any recommendations on must sees.

Taking kids to Vegas is achievable

Go to Circus Circus - plenty of fun for kids, you can go for a ride on the gondolas at the Venetian, M&M and Hersey factory, Coke factory, Madame Tussaud's, Shark aquarium at Mandalay Bay, fountains at Bellagio.

Then if you find a hotel with a kids club, you could have a wonderful time over 4 or 5 days.

Levi's Stadium is a long way away from San Francisco... I went to Opening Week MNF vs LA Rams, almost didn't bother to go because I was so confused as to how I'd get there and back. Used this bus service https://www.get2theevent.com/ $34 round trip but it's a brand new bus with toilet on board and very comfy seats etc. Picks you up on time from the location you choose, took about 2 hours to get there and 90 minutes on the way back.

Levi's Stadium is a long way away from San Francisco... I went to Opening Week MNF vs LA Rams, almost didn't bother to go because I was so confused as to how I'd get there and back. Used this bus service https://www.get2theevent.com/ $34 round trip but it's a brand new bus with toilet on board and very comfy seats etc. Picks you up on time from the location you choose, took about 2 hours to get there and 90 minutes on the way back.

and people are saying that Oakland should play home games there too :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back