Past #8: Nathan Hrovat - won't be offered a new contract - thanks Rat

Remove this Banner Ad

In: Hrovat, Dogs 2017 3rd, Dogs 2017 4th
Out: Roos 2017 3rd, Roos 2017 4th.

Is that right?
That would be a big win for North

Hi everyone.

That is what Nick Bowen said (after tweeting something false immediately before that and correcting himself). Emma Quayle (who has thus far always been spot on), said it involved an exchange of picks from this year and next but not what they were. I'd trust her more.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. EDIT: looks like she has corrected too, that 2017 swap must be the deal

Hi everyone.

That is what Nick Bowen said (after tweeting something false immediately before that and correcting himself). Emma Quayle (who has thus far always been spot on), said it involved an exchange of picks from this year and next but not what they were. I'd trust her more.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. EDIT: looks like she has corrected too, that 2017 swap must be the deal

Nick Bowen handles most of North's AFL.com media.

He'd be well in the loop

The guy he reminds me most of in vision is the same bloke keeping him out of the team @ the Braves- Caleb Daniel. His awareness, composure and decision making in traffic are attributes we really need, you can definitely see why he was likened to Boomer in his draft year, maybe not as quick but super agile and a smart footballer. Could be a massive bargain, and at the very least we'll have 19-25 less blind hacks a game which won't hurt ;)

he reminds me of a slower version of boomer too.

he had syndesmosis in his ankle this year, which required surgery and also hurt his shoulder towards the end of the season.

he reminds me of a slower version of boomer too.

he had syndesmosis in his ankle this year, which required surgery and also hurt his shoulder towards the end of the season.

Didn't Hrovat personally train with Boomer in the lead up to his draft or was that someone else?

Didn't Hrovat personally train with Boomer in the lead up to his draft or was that someone else?

Yes.

Pick Me: Clearance king Nathan Hrovat could be the next Sam Mitchell
  • Sam Landsberger
  • Herald Sun
  • November 05, 2012 12:00AM

IT was the $50 that helped put Nathan Hrovat on the draft map.

After copping a blast for his fitness levels in a frank 2011 season review, the pint-sized midfielder was told it was time to "pull his finger out’’ or his AFL dream would disappear.

Hrovat got straight to work, hell-bent on producing a faultless pre-season.

He grabbed his runners on New Years Day and hit the Rye beach and was desperate to not let a family holiday on the Gold Coast in January stall his fitness regime.

Hrovat forked out $50 for a seven-day membership at a Gold Coast gym and hit it twice most days.

When he wasn’t lifting weights in the sunshine state, Hrovat was out honing his kicking skills at Southport and any football ground he could find.

"Being a diminutive type I need to be really strong around the ball, so it certainly helped,’’ Hrovat said.

His initiative didn’t end there.

The Northern Knights captain hooked up with Brent Harvey, eager to tap into AFL resources after seeing the fruits of Lachie Hunter and Jack Viney’s father-son connections.

Hrovat’s dedication immediately impressed the North Melbourne champion.

"He’s got a lot of talent, and that’s one small part of it, but the want and the desire to constantly improve is a big part of making an AFL footballer, and Nathan’s got that,’’ Harvey said.

"I guess the knock on him is he’s short. And that’s why he wanted to speak to me, to see what sort of extra stuff you need to go to get over that hurdle.’’

Harvey mentored Hrovat this year, dishing out key advice on burst speed techniques, diets and training approaches.

As the Sam Mitchell-type tore TAC Cup sides apart with his clearance work, he went from speculative draft hopeful to a probable late choice.

Then the accolades came, igniting Hrovat up the order.

Vic Metro’s MVP and vice-captain, All-Australian, Knights best-and-fairest winner despite playing just eight games and third in the Morrish medal and second in TAC Cup coaches award.

"I spoke to our recruiters at the start of the year and they said ‘he’s got things to work on, he might get drafted’ to people talking about first-round now,’’ Harvey said.

"It’d be good to have him at Arden St, he’s an outstanding footballer and he’s got great character, so he’d fit our club well.’’

Knights talent manager Peter Kennedy said Hrovat’s standing as a late first-rounder was testament to his consistency and work-rate.

"There’s not a lot of players under 180cm taken, so he knew he had to work really hard,’’ he said.

"He had to cover all bases and he did. His ability to win the ball, weave through traffic and hit targets is (impressive), and he’s got the ability to kick a goal when needed.’’

THE NATHAN HROVAT FILE

HEIGHT: 174cm
WEIGHT: 76kg
POSITION: Inside midfielder
DRAFT RANGE: 15-25
IN THE MIX: Roos (15), Freo (17), Pies (21)
PLAYS LIKE: Sam Mitchell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Hrovat forked out $50 for a seven-day membership at a Gold Coast gym."

LOL. Amazing reporting just there being such a huge investment....

Still, shows even back then he's keen to improve and hope he does with us.

Be a ****en riot if we finish higher than them next year somehow.
No there wont be, we have our flag, our minds now are totally at peace. Seriously I reckon the rat will be great for the Roos. He is a seriously talented footballer who just needs some luck to stay fit to show what he is capable of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back