Lachie Whitfield testing drama

Remove this Banner Ad

SEN still talking about it.

It looks like the AFL wants an easy way out, hoping ASADA ticks it off, and the AFL will then negotiate suspensions with all three.

Note - I used the word "negotiate".

That's what it ends up being.

ASADA has the power to issue infraction notices under the AFL anti-doping code, if it really believed the AFL anti-doping code had been breached - clearly it's reluctant to do so.

The AFL always wants to be seen to be doing something on the anti-drug front, so wants to be seen to be taking action.

Both ASADA and the AFL will be happy to negotiate suspensions - but that only works if all three are happy to negotiate suspensions.

All three can just as easily say f__ you, if you think we've actually done something wrong, go down the correct process (in the case of the AFL anti-doping code, that would mean ASADA issuing infraction notices).

Hopefully Lachie pushes ahead with taking his whack regardless of the other 2 and we just move on. I have a feeling Gubby and Eddie will fight it and drag this out which is of no benefit to us. The only issue is Essendon took this type of AFL penalty and still got shafted by ASADA.

As someone from western Sydney (lalor park) I have just watched my last game of afl. This is nothing but a joke losing draft picks it shows they make up things on the run and I will not support a sport that pulls these stunts.

Swans lose picks because of Talia other clubs loose picks because of people testing positive no. We are a weak target owned by the afl and a few draft picks won't hurt us and so the afl will act tough well * them and * the game.

As someone from western Sydney (lalor park) I have just watched my last game of afl. This is nothing but a joke losing draft picks it shows they make up things on the run and I will not support a sport that pulls these stunts.

Swans lose picks because of Talia other clubs loose picks because of people testing positive no. We are a weak target owned by the afl and a few draft picks won't hurt us and so the afl will act tough well **** them and **** the game.
Chillax mate. This is one journos speculation. Wait to see what the actual decision is.

That would be more than Essendon lost and no evidence of anything involving PED's. Total farce if true.

Not true, Essendon lost pick 11 and 31 in 2013, pick 30 in 2014 as well while pick 12 was pushed back to 20.

Not true, Essendon lost pick 11 and 31 in 2013, pick 30 in 2014 as well while pick 12 was pushed back to 20.

I agree that Essendon lost more, but only a second round pick and an eight pick downgrade (nice job on remembering the pick coming back - so many forget that) more for a whole club buying in versus two staff and one player doesn't seem equitable.

I agree that Essendon lost more, but only a second round pick and an eight pick downgrade (nice job on remembering the pick coming back - so many forget that) more for a whole club buying in versus two staff and one player doesn't seem equitable.

Fair, though being complicit in deception has always been treated worse by the AFL, eg Carlton's salary cap cheating punishment vs everyone else. Regardless of the public's opinion or whatever the truth may be, the AFL have sold the players were duped thinking meaning the punishment can't be a death sentence. Gotta manage that image of integrity!

Dlanod, as I have mentioned before it is just an excuse for equalisation, keeps the natives happy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dlanod, as I have mentioned before it is just an excuse for equalisation, keeps the natives happy

That's nice but it doesn't mean we should just suck it up under that auspice - it will be a manifestly harsher penalty than Essendon's if it eventuates.

So Eddie achieves his goal of having us losing a first and second rounder via his own staff member.

If the AFL rubber stamps this then the benchmark for any misconduct from players and or officials has to be draft picks.

This would be incrdibly unfair.

Last edited:
So Eddie achieves his goal of having us losing a first and second rounder via his own staff member.

If the AFL rubber stamps this then the benchmark for any misconduct from players and ir officials has to be draft picks.

The AFL needs an overhaul of it's administration, the league is becoming a joke in more ways than one.

If the AFL rubber stamps this then the benchmark for any misconduct from players and or officials has to be draft picks.

Yes Andre , but there is a feeling at HQ that they have overdone the concessions to GWS. My view is Gubby out smarted the AFL in how he managed these concessions.
Every chance the AFL can equalise the Giants the happier the masses, and less negative press.

Yes Andre , but there is a feeling at HQ that they have overdone the concessions to GWS. My view is Gubby out smarted the AFL in how he managed these concessions.
Every chance the AFL can equalise the Giants the happier the masses, and less negative press.

There is tremendous negativity from the media down here.

This started with Eddie McGuire, Damian Barrett and Jon Ralph but has spread with even the likes of David Schwarz and his loser sidekick Francis Leach getting in on it.

It isn't helped with the AFL draft journos constantly deriding concessions and zones and Caro using her hatred of other things and general disdain towards us to push for over-punishment in the Whitfield case.

The overriding feeling is Us (the rest) vs Them (GWS-AFL aka Us!!).

It feels a bit like being the son of a celebrity or tycoon where any of your own achievements are drowned out by jealousy as to where you started. We have been given a great start but I see us more like Kerry Packer rather than Warwick Fairfax (Gold Coast Suns).

Its pretty annoying as a fan and I only hope makes us stronger as a group in hating all these pricks.

I just hope when we are successful these jealous bastards can show just a hint of appreciation and recognise all the hard work that has made it happen.

I would never underestimate the AFL's ability to have a kneejerk reaction, nor to make a an unbalanced response to this issue to sate the other clubs' whinging about GWS' concessions, so pessimistically can see Raymann's news coming to fruition. I would only query whether there is sufficient time before National Draft night to enact a penalty this year within the bounds of natural justice - especially given how long the saga has dragged on for thus far.

Even if the AFL issues a breach notice to Lachie tomorrow, given the possible suspension (even if they include the reduced sentence offer up front), the laws of natural justice would dictate that they have to allow a reasonable time for each of the three affected people to discuss with lawyers and respond - I'd say a week is a minimum, so response by 21 November. I suspect that someone will fight the case - most likely Gubby with Eddie's backing - but even if they all do accept, then a second breech notice would have to be raised for the club's potential penalties. Again, at least a week would in my view be needed to allow natural justice, which would put a response out beyond the ND. I would think GWS would at least argue that any draft pick losses (and I personally don't think first and second round is reasonable when considered against other precedents) should be delayed until next year since trade strategy and list size has been determined against expected picks. So, unless the AFL negates natural justice or GWS absolutely rolls over (I'll admit, both are possible!) I just think it's unlikely to be finalised before ND night.

Don't see why draft picks should be in play.

Club is notified of an issue
Club investigates issue, finds nothing - but...
Hands it over to a higher authority for further determination
And, I assume, has cooperated fully ever since.

If you're going to whack the individuals, whack the individuals, but the club has done everything by the book. Why punish the club for doing what was required.

Don't just be pi$$ed because we're doing better than you expected us to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back