Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate I actually like your posts and respect you astute footy views but if I am reading between the lines here you are making a case for Kurt and good on you but to be honest I am over talking about him. Imo he is over payed, underperformed and has been deplorable in 2 GF'S and lacks the intensity & urgency to ever have an impact to contribute to the club once again saluting. Ball was not over payed, was serviceable and did have an impact in winning the premiership in 2005. People can defend him all they like but if they think he has delivered on what he is capable of and what his salary says he is capable of they are sadly mistaken.

I don't disagree. on Ball I remember him being pretty regularly criticised as a forward but he ultimately played well as a ruck. (I remember after the 2005 gf garry lyon saying to someone from the swans that every goal the swans kicked was when cox was on the bench and seaby was on - which was why i never understood why we went for seaby and has always been one of the key things i've remembered - rucks dont always win games but if they cant nullify the opposition ruckman you are in big trouble).

On Tippett I agree with your basic point - which is he is overpaid and has never quite delivered. But i do say that i think as a club we never quite understood what he was when we bought him. The 2012 qf should have been a bit of a guide for us as richards and lrt nullified him and his great game was against the hawks - who promptly went out and bought a kpd so that it wouldnt happen again.

i remember watching the 2013 melbourne game at the mcg when they were a rabble and frawley beat tippett over and over and i concluded after that game that tippett wasnt going to ever be a genuine full forward.

So (in words I haven't heard since going to derby day in 2003 when two 20 something girls wandered past expressing the same comment) I've officially lowered my expectations. I want him to simply compete in the air and in the ruck, not get outmarked, play 20+ games, lay a few tackles and kick 40 goals. if he manages that he will still be overpaid but he will play a pretty valuable role.

Harley states any talk of Tippett being traded is a definite no

Thank goodness

With this thread it seems someone has to be the new whipping boy so guess after his last game it will be him. Keep him injury free for a year and I think we can challenge again....then drop him for the GF ;)

Thank goodness

With this thread it seems someone has to be the new whipping boy so guess after his last game it will be him. Keep him injury free for a year and I think we can challenge again....then drop him for the GF ;)

For most of the team it would be 3rd time lucky, or 3rd strike and you're out.

Wasn't Tippett's contract front end loaded? He got an automatic extension because he hit the KPIs but what would he actually be on now?

Article earlier in the week suggested it was near 7 figures.
Yeah I read that but that was a journo speculating. Tom Harley said that only the player, his agent, the AFL and the club really know. I guess my question is redundant because it's all speculation.

Yeah I read that but that was a journo speculating. Tom Harley said that only the player, his agent, the AFL and the club really know. I guess my question is redundant because it's all speculation.

A contractual clause that grants an automatic extension based on KPI's would lead to the conclusion that his contract value remains unchanged.

Wasn't Tippett's contract front end loaded? He got an automatic extension because he hit the KPIs but what would he actually be on now?
The large amount was scare off other clubs getting him in the pre season draft as we did.
No reason what so ever to assume he is still on the original amount that was used to get him to our club.

A contractual clause that grants an automatic extension based on KPI's would lead to the conclusion that his contract value remains unchanged.
Not necessarily. I'm a contract manager by trade. Meeting KPIs could extend the term of the contract but under a new commercial agreement if the contract was designed to be front-end loaded. The Swans were dovetailing Tippett's and Buddy's contracts. Tippett front-end loaded and Buddy back-end loaded so I'd expect a decrease in Tippett's salary over time. Also remember they had to jack up the initial contract to make sure they picked up Tippett in the PSD so they would be looking to even things out over time.

Harley made a comment that only the club & Kurt know the figure on his contract, which I'm not sure how to read, but it's probably a dig at some overinflated numbers in the media

The media wouldn't lie would they?! :0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article earlier in the week suggested it was near 7 figures.

I never trust anyone in the media when it comes to Tippett's salary.

It gets discussed a lot and every time it is brought up it is a higher figure than the last time.

Not necessarily. I'm a contract manager by trade. Meeting KPIs could extend the term of the contract but under a new commercial agreement if the contract was designed to be front-end loaded. The Swans were dovetailing Tippett's and Buddy's contracts. Tippett front-end loaded and Buddy back-end loaded so I'd expect a decrease in Tippett's salary over time. Also remember they had to jack up the initial contract to make sure they picked up Tippett in the PSD so they would be looking to even things out over time.

If I play as good as we agree, we both agree that I can extend my contract for less money... doesn't sound like something anyone would be agreeing to. Why wouldn't you just renegotiate a new contract?
Reasonable to assume he is on at least the same money. What Harley alluded to was that his contract extension was probably at the same dollar value as the last year of existing contract, which reports suggest is less than the first 2 years of his contract.

If I play as good as we agree, we both agree that I can extend my contract for less money... doesn't sound like something anyone would be agreeing to. Why wouldn't you just renegotiate a new contract?
Reasonable to assume he is on at least the same money. What Harley alluded to was that his contract extension was probably at the same dollar value as the last year of existing contract, which reports suggest is less than the first 2 years of his contract.
I don't think it was performance based. He had to play a certain number of games to trigger the extension automatically. I would agree with the last part where it may be an extension on the later year which was less than the first two.

Tippett was at training today despite senior players not being needed until Monday.

From the few photos that are on the Swans website, looks like McVeigh was the only other senior player there.

Tippett's always been pretty professional in his approach his whole career. One of those hard trainer types.

But I suspect there's a bit of need to atone at play, too.

Then again whinge about his toughness but he's copped a lot of knocks to the head over the years. Maybe he just shouldn't have been out there in the GF.

Tippett was at training today despite senior players not being needed until Monday.

From the few photos that are on the Swans website, looks like McVeigh was the only other senior player there.
He probably wants to know what leather feels like!

Tippett's always been pretty professional in his approach his whole career. One of those hard trainer types.

But I suspect there's a bit of need to atone at play, too.

Then again whinge about his toughness but he's copped a lot of knocks to the head over the years. Maybe he just shouldn't have been out there in the GF.

Should not have played after the first final he played against Geelong with a broken jaw pretty crazy considering he puts himself in position to recieve a lot of hits to the head.

Tippett will finish his career at the Swans and will go down as a successful recruit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back