News Nathan Bassett Departs

Remove this Banner Ad

The regression of Hombsch this year has been disappointing. Luckily our defence coach is uniquely placed to know the solution, given that he experienced the same thing in his own career. Bassett was an average full back but an excellent third tall, much like Hombsch. We need Carlile back ASAP to be the Ben Rutten to Hombsch's Nathan Bassett.

The regression of Hombsch this year has been disappointing. Luckily our defence coach is uniquely placed to know the solution, given that he experienced the same thing in his own career. Bassett was an average full back but an excellent third tall, much like Hombsch. We need Carlile back ASAP to be the Ben Rutten to Hombsch's Nathan Bassett.
Hombsch is a good player but is undersized against the big forwards 1 on 1. If someone came across as a 3rd man in the contest, Hombsch would be fine.

But moving forward we need to get some games into Carlile's replacement too.

Can Clurey play a role to release hombsch?

Would think going forward in the next 2-5 years our tall def's will be hombsch, TJ and Clurey. Unless we use out pick to pick up a few mature ages guys from GWS?

Can Clurey play a role to release hombsch?

Would think going forward in the next 2-5 years our tall def's will be hombsch, TJ and Clurey. Unless we use out pick to pick up a few mature ages guys from GWS?
Hombsch, Austin, Clurey, Pittard, Karkour (Impey in 2-3 years) DBJ

Not sure if I'd call it a regression but yeah...he's found it difficult against the larger apes.
Bobby out for the year is a blow. Our team might need a further tinker.

Midfield pressure has picked it up significantly ever since Lobbes went down. The question for me is why did it take Lobbe going down to do so. The midfield group should've been going into every stoppage from round 1 expecting Lobbe to lose the ruck.

This team can be a very good defensive unit when they put in the effort to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if I'd call it a regression but yeah...he's found it difficult against the larger apes.
Bobby out for the year is a blow. Our team might need a further tinker.

Impressed by Austin's performance today keeping Cloke goalless. Obviously Cloke is a shell of his former self right now, but if Austin can continue to hold his own against the better forwards in the league to free Hombsch up, we'll look a much better side. I just hope that we don't immediately drop him when Hombsch returns from injury, I'd like to see how they go complementing each other.

Having a back line full of Bassett-sized key defenders has made it easier for him because he knows the capabilities and limitations of being a 190cm, 90kg defender.

O'shea - 193cm - 91kgs
Hombsch - 193cm - 89kgs
Stewart - 191cm - 90kgs
Jonas - 188cm - 89kg

even Broadbent at - 189cm - 87kgs isn't far outside that range.

Is it silly to consider Frampton potentially rucking in next month or so and Trengove heading doen back?
Impressed by Austin's performance today keeping Cloke goalless. Obviously Cloke is a shell of his former self right now, but if Austin can continue to hold his own against the better forwards in the league to free Hombsch up, we'll look a much better side. I just hope that we don't immediately drop him when Hombsch returns from injury, I'd like to see how they go complementing each other.

Yes...thought Austin positioned himself well and had excellent awareness. Been a fan of him for a while now.
Noticed his kicking lacked a bit of penetration today compared to what I have witnessed previously. Might have been on the cautious side.
I'm actually really excited by DBJ, Austin and Pittards development.

Probably the only guy pulling his weight in the coaches box. The defence has performed much better than you would expect given the outs we've had this year.

Try putting a midfild together with that hit out differential.

As soon as mummy started getting on top it was over.

just dont give them space at the stoppage.

it probably sounds easier in theory, but they were able to get away too easily in the 2nd half! no accountability

just dont give them space at the stoppage.

it probably sounds easier in theory, but they were able to get away too easily in the 2nd half! no accountability
Yes it does sound easy.

If the ball is put where you know its going you are one up, so system kicks in. Just maning up is a great theory nothing more.

Yep Mummy had 1 handball in the first half. 2/3rds of the way thru the 3rd, his 3rd quarter efforts were 5 disposal, 3 clearances, 3 hit outs to advantage and 2 tackles. I think his hit outs for the quarter were 15 - it was something in the teens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back