Moved Thread #1: Majak Daw -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have liked to have seen Maj running around today, but the excitement of the Preuss machine is fair compensation for that. As was mentioned, he looked good against the Cats so I think he is now facing a healthy challenge to force his way into the team. Maj needs to set himself to play a blinder for the Bees on Sunday. The season has a long way to run with lots of variables, so still hoping he will have a big year and make senior berth his own.

I think the frustration is that he is being kept out by 2 ruckman rather than any forwards. In a team that has a crap forward structure. Goldy and Preuss have kicked 2 goals in 3 games as forwards. What we are essentially doing is taking a game advantage, goal kicking ruckmen, and negating its value by reducing the goal advantage of a decent forward.

I think the frustration is that he is being kept out by 2 ruckman rather than any forwards. In a team that has a crap forward structure. Goldy and Preuss have kicked 2 goals in 3 games as forwards. What we are essentially doing is taking a game advantage, goal kicking ruckmen, and negating its value by reducing the goal advantage of a decent forward.
Agree. Preuss has thrown the proverbial spanner in the works. Maj is much better suited as the forward and backup ruckman, but we have this classic scenario, almost like its been scripted for Brad, with our highest played and best player for much of the past 3 years being overtaken by a raw kid just off the rookie list and forced into Maj's role. Somethings got to give - Preuss runs out of steam, Goldy's ankle flares up or he cracks the sads once too often, or Daw smashes down the door. Usually you would call this riches of talls a good problem to have, but in this case it just feels like a classic Brad's North situation that returns Maj to the one game in one game out rinse and repeat cycle. If he ever gets a good run (ie. 8 games on the trot) at a senior level, he will bloody well have earned it.

Firstly, I think you're misreading my post as a vote of support for Majak. It was simply one expressing confusion over the 'bringing him back via Werribee' due to his concussion.

Perhaps, but I was picking up your concussion point primarily.

I would not expecting Make or any other to be gifted games, but I would expect that the club rewards form, and more importantly they should be expected to demote senior players who have lost their form so they can prove themselves in the vfl. At present, and also last season they did not appear to do that.

No wonder there is anger flowing in almost all of the active threads.

Losses while developing young players is one thing, but weird selections and uninspiring losses is not an obvious development plan. Creative selections and gelling a group so they build trust in each other through consistently playing with one another makes more sense to me.

Losses while developing young players is one thing, but weird selections and uninspiring losses is not an obvious development plan. Creative selections and gelling a group so they build trust in each other through consistently playing with one another makes more sense to me.

“Players were never told to lose. They were just rested and played out of position. (Backman) Matthew Warnock would play full-forward and (forward) Paul Johnson would play full-back.” – Anonymous Melbourne Player

Brendon Fevola said Carlton didn't necessarily tank, but they did make it harder to win playing players out of position and sending others off for surgeries. “It is absolutely true that we never sat around as a playing or coaching group and worked out a way to lose any of our matches... None of us ever deliberately gave the ball away or kicked a point instead of a goal or pulled out of a contest.”

I scratch my head regularly with team selection but s**t I'm looking like a monkey this week my hand is up there that much.

No Petrie, no Waite, no Wood and a fit Maj can't get a game. No new forwards recruited. No young ones (forwards) coming from nowhere? With Waite and Wood back soon Maj must be a bit worried as to where he fits in.

I sense this as a weak selection decision. To weak to make a decision on which ruck to play. Both are pure ruckman, only one should be playing. Maj is the forward who can play second fiddle in the ruck. Call it team balance/ruck balance/forward line balance or just common sense but the current selection is just, well leaves me scratching my head.

I'm a fan of Goldie, Preuss and Maj. This about what is best for the team. Dropping Goldie would be huge, dropping Preuss would create headlines. Is Maj the easy option for selectors but not necessarily what is best for the team. I fear that with Waite and Wood coming back Maj won't play a lot and he would be well entitled to be looking elsewhere at seasons end.

I scratch my head regularly with team selection but s**t I'm looking like a monkey this week my hand is up there that much.

No Petrie, no Waite, no Wood and a fit Maj can't get a game. No new forwards recruited. No young ones (forwards) coming from nowhere? With Waite and Wood back soon Maj must be a bit worried as to where he fits in.

I sense this as a weak selection decision. To weak to make a decision on which ruck to play. Both are pure ruckman, only one should be playing. Maj is the forward who can play second fiddle in the ruck. Call it team balance/ruck balance/forward line balance or just common sense but the current selection is just, well leaves me scratching my head.

I'm a fan of Goldie, Preuss and Maj. This about what is best for the team. Dropping Goldie would be huge, dropping Preuss would create headlines. Is Maj the easy option for selectors but not necessarily what is best for the team. I fear that with Waite and Wood coming back Maj won't play a lot and he would be well entitled to be looking elsewhere at seasons end.
Correct!

Should be playing AFL.

Not sure what he has to do to get a decent crack at it. It's pretty obvious it's as simple as the coach not rating him.

Has x-factor, something we hate at North.

Should be playing AFL.

Not sure what he has to do to get a decent crack at it. It's pretty obvious it's as simple as the coach not rating him.

Has x-factor, something we hate at North.

Can't fit Goldstein, Preuss, Brown & Daw all in the same side. I want him in.....but there's no room for him atm.

Guys my condolences on your start to the year. I know that feeling too well being a Saint.

Since finals are not looking that great for your mob at the moment, I hope Brad will play Maj when fit for the rest of the year. I personally think he's improving a lot and with an extended run could really get somewhere.

cheers,

with pruess not dominating too much this week and having subi next week, maj really needed to do moderately okay in the VFL to get a game, disappointing that it seems he didn't do much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like Majak should be in over Preuss, I like big Preussy but Majak needs the chance to show what he can do, give him some consecutive games and if he doesn't deliver then we have a good replacement in Preuss waiting. Waite, Daw and Brown looks like a pretty good forward line with Garner, Wood, Turner and/or Thomas in there as well.

with pruess not dominating too much this week and having subi next week, maj really needed to do moderately okay in the VFL to get a game, disappointing that it seems he didn't do much

No no, he was good. I didn't talk about him much in the Werribee thread because I was focussing on the younger and returning guys. Problem was that he played mostly in the ruck, so hardly had time to hit the scoreboard. He took some nice marks around the ground, and also was very clean, especially by hand, when he was involved in general play. I thought he had a good game and did his chances no harm.

Much though I hate to say it, given Preuss' rapid improvement, I don't believe Goldstein and Preuss should play together. It's one or the other for mine. I'm living for the day we take the field with the following forward structure:-
Waite, Brown, Daw, Wood, Garner + Turner/Thomas.

I think that forward line would cause havoc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much though I hate to say it, given Preuss' rapid improvement, I don't believe Goldstein and Preuss should play together. It's one or the other for mine. I'm living for the day we take the field with the following forward structure:-
Waite, Brown, Daw, Wood, Garner + Turner/Thomas.

I think that forward line would cause havoc.

Would be my preferred forward line as well. Higgins, Ziebell, Hrovat, Cunnington to rotate through.

We should be happy right? Spoilt for riches!
It's a selection conundrum right? Particularly for a selection committee that never makes brazen selections. The call for Maj does not justify a brazen selection.
Maj plays best as a forward with rotations in the ruck.
He's lost as a forward only.
With preuss in the team it's impossible to select Maj ahead of preuss or goldy.
What position do you play Maj?
A forward only? Are we then too tall?
Don't get me wrong I like seeing the big fella play

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately Maj has become a depth player. Only injury will get him a temporary spot.

You could be right. However, I'd like to see him one more time, this time in a more fluid forward structure. In the past he hasn't worked well with Petrie. This year, I've only seen him line up with both Goldstein & Preuss there as well. I'd just like him in a more mobile setup. Waite and Wood + Brown would give him that. Maybe, I'm just being overly optimistic....

You could be right. However, I'd like to see him one more time, this time in a more fluid forward structure. In the past he hasn't worked well with Petrie. This year, I've only seen him line up with both Goldstein & Preuss there as well. I'd just like him in a more mobile setup. Waite and Wood + Brown would give him that. Maybe, I'm just being overly optimistic....

The club seems to have developed Maj well.
I agree I wish him the opportunity to string games together in a fluid forward structure.
I just fear his lack of natrual footy intellect will hinder him.
He plays best as a follower/ruck.

Unfortunately Maj has become a depth player. Only injury will get him a temporary spot.

His last two games at AFL level have been outstanding. IMO he deserves a place in the senior team just as much, if not moreso, as Preuss. The problem is balance, because those two Goldy and Brown probably can't all play in the same side.

His last two games at AFL level have been outstanding. IMO he deserves a place in the senior team just as much, if not moreso, as Preuss. The problem is balance, because those two Goldy and Brown probably can't all play in the same side.
I agree .. I can't see how he would get picked and who be omitted to make way for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back