Analysis Derek Hine

Remove this Banner Ad

i was nodding a lot at your comments. as i said, i wouldnt sack him but he needs tweaking.... I think he's been less impressive in recent years with the focus on skills, when compared to the early years when he could get the players malthouse was looking for

Depends what you class as recent I guess. We gave up a lot of our recent higher picks for Treloar & Aish so he hasn't been able to have a good crack at anyone with proper skills. Treloar is great and I am not giving him back but the price was perhaps foot skills as the one area he is poor in is that.

The 2015 draft is interesting we had late picks with Sier Phillips Wills Crocker. Others around them do not scream good foot skills. These guys also no good in the foot skills department but considering how late they were and the fails around them in the same draft its a pretty good effort. It adds to our foot skill problems but its probably better than a delisting, he did well with a poor hand but it simply illustrates you need to be up the order to get guys with good skills. Those guys are examples of not elite kicks and will be held up as Hine ignoring that need but I think that is a bit misleading.

I am disappointed in that year we did not hunt Sucking down as a FA. Everyone declared he was soft and only had a good kick, but that kick is exactly what we could use especially out of half back. We traded in Howe for Harry so that was not a bad deal, and we had a fair bit on our plate with Treloar but I still wanted the Suckling pig for his kicking.

Marcus Adams on a needs basis also seemed a better idea than Sier at the time, although it wouldn't solve our kicking issues.Sier is one that people will harp on like Freeman, but in context its not that bad a miss compared to others.

Kudos to you Markfs.......you are a master fisherman...........you just keep reeling them in! :thumbsu:

View attachment 359139

I had fun doing that in the past... now I tend to post what I think... unless people say something really stupid which does tend to happen a lot in this forum.

Hine and the list management team's biggest failure has been recruiting from other clubs

Q.Lynch Young Armstrong Corrie White Mayne Wells and more I'm forgetting... Far too many misses.

but all of them didn't cost much in draft picks. I know they are taking games from younger players but I don't think they have been that much of a disaster. I see the biggest problem with recruiting these guys is that it raises expectations with the fans and the media...and they are such easy targets. Lynch was a 1 in 10 chance of doing something good because he was past his use by date and he was pretty hopeless when he played for west coast...but the media used to go on an on about his inconsistency etc. It just stirred up bad vibes

If the coach got the best out of his playing group ,which he hasnt since taking over, i wonder if this thread would even exist.

well I agree with that. I usually like to blame buckley for 99% of the problems and fill up the other 1% with inconsequential stuff like Hine's drafting...

Funny that you never see "In Hine We Trust" posted anywhere anymore.
I internally vomited at the sight of an 'in Hine we trust' post every time I saw one. I don't understand how he has kept his job. Unless of course you truly believe, for instance, that Sier is going to justify being first selection in the draft.

I've no idea what you are all on about...do you think Hine dreamt up our recruitment strategy. He is party to discussions but would have been more told what the team DNA is and is recruiting according to the strategy set by the club and football department.

Nathan Freeman, if he ever gets a fair go at it will be a more damaging version of Dangerfield.

Shaz's recruitment got the green light from the medico's, two knee reco's are bad luck not poor recruiting!

Not sure who you would consider the bench mark, every club has its hits and misses...I think the one genuine knock on the club is that we don't have a key forward to partner Moore. We have the cash in bank and picks to lure any big name that wants to move at seasons end, and I expect them to go pretty hard.

If the top few teams get an A+ for recruiting (and not talking about list management), we have to come in pretty close and I give Hine and his scouts an A.

So you think our ladder postion is a direct reflection of Hines drafting?

no...for an organisation to be operating efficiency, a lot has to go into the mix....but i think there can be a lot of improvements and changes that can happen. do you think that just changing the coach is going to mean we're going to win a premiership within 3 years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no...for an organisation to be operating efficiency, a lot has to go into the mix....but i think there can be a lot of improvements and changes that can happen. do you think that just changing the coach is going to mean we're going to win a premiership within 3 years?

I think we would be playing finals and once you are there anything can happen. Dogs proved that last year.

I've no idea what you are all on about...do you think Hine dreamt up our recruitment strategy. He is party to discussions but would have been more told what the team DNA is and is recruiting according to the strategy set by the club and football department.

Nathan Freeman, if he ever gets a fair go at it will be a more damaging version of Dangerfield.

Shaz's recruitment got the green light from the medico's, two knee reco's are bad luck not poor recruiting!

Not sure who you would consider the bench mark, every club has its hits and misses...I think the one genuine knock on the club is that we don't have a key forward to partner Moore. We have the cash in bank and picks to lure any big name that wants to move at seasons end, and I expect them to go pretty hard.

If the top few teams get an A+ for recruiting (and not talking about list management), we have to come in pretty close and I give Hine and his scouts an A.
You lost me at the Nathan Freeman bit - a more damaging version of Dangerfield! Get real!!! As for Scharenberg, his foot problems supposedly caused him to drop from 3 to 6 in the draft, at which point, of course, we took him. Knee reconstructions aside, I have seen nothing in him that justifies a pick 3 selection. Others rave about his chances, but they are probably the same posters who think that Sier is going to be a regular in our best 22.

Even McLarty was recruited with injury problems. Sure he has been OK so far, but if he does a shoulder again or has problems with his hearing and doesn't make the grade, he will be yet another player we recruited with an injury who doesn't make it. And before you all pounce on me for being unnecessarily negative re players with disabilities, McLarty himself has said that he is 'not sure how his deafness will affect his playing career'.

There is something to be said for only recruiting players whose careers have not been affected by injury or disability.

You lost me at the Nathan Freeman bit - a more damaging version of Dangerfield! Get real!!! As for Scharenberg, his foot problems supposedly caused him to drop from 3 to 6 in the draft, at which point, of course, we took him. Knee reconstructions aside, I have seen nothing in him that justifies a pick 3 selection. Others rave about his chances, but they are probably the same posters who think that Sier is going to be a regular in our best 22.

Even McLarty was recruited with injury problems. Sure he has been OK so far, but if he does a shoulder again or has problems with his hearing and doesn't make the grade, he will be yet another player we recruited with an injury who doesn't make it. And before you all pounce on me for being unnecessarily negative re players with disabilities, McLarty himself has said that he is 'not sure how his deafness will affect his playing career'.

There is something to be said for only recruiting players whose careers have not been affected by injury or disability.

I think you make some good points.... and we have BFers howling about the injury rate for the last few years..... I think some players are prone to injury and if they have serious injuries when they are teenagers, there's a good chance that they might be prone to injury when they are adults...

I know people will ask me whether i would overlook chris judd or joel selwood because they were injured before their drafts.... the answer of course is no....but i would be more careful in drafting players with a history of injuries....hine seems to revel in it..

The Sier pick is the only one that I have truly been scratching my head about over the past 2 years. I hope he turns out to have a decent career, but geez ... the signs haven't been that great so far. I would love to be proved wrong, naturally. PLEASE, in fact.

But if the club was going for a hail-Mary pick in the early 30's, why not a kid who might have become a goal-kicking forward? Big bodied midfielders are great, but look at the balance of our list now - weren't they looking ahead at that? De Goey, Crisp, Wills, Greenwood to an extent ... but where is our forward line tall?

That's the aspect i'm worried about now, especially in light of the games we have played so far. Could we have picked a forward from Sier's draft who would be playing ok at AFL level?

For starters you can't make any comments about our recruiting in the last couple of years because you need to project at least 3 years ahead to draw any conclusions. As has been said, both Freeman and Scharenberg were injured and before that Broomhead has been restricted by injury. Grundy is an elite ruckman. Lynch, Young, Armstrong, Kennedy and Russell were all misses, but they were recruited at a time of a compromised draft when GWS and GCS had all the premium picks. As for being teflon, was reportedly roasted by Gubby Allan for poor list management late last year.

I had fun doing that in the past... now I tend to post what I think... unless people say something really stupid which does tend to happen a lot in this forum.

You can't bullshit a bullshitter.

Carry on leopard! ;)

You can't bullshit a bullshitter.

Carry on leopard! ;)
Sometimes I suspect Markfs half believes what he posts. I feel a greater sincerity from him in this thread than in most others. Anyway, why wind people up on issues likely to be well supported by the doubters? Even you must have your misgivings about Hine's supposed brilliance as a recruiter?

The Sier pick is the only one that I have truly been scratching my head about over the past 2 years. I hope he turns out to have a decent career, but geez ... the signs haven't been that great so far. I would love to be proved wrong, naturally. PLEASE, in fact.

But if the club was going for a hail-Mary pick in the early 30's, why not a kid who might have become a goal-kicking forward? Big bodied midfielders are great, but look at the balance of our list now - weren't they looking ahead at that? De Goey, Crisp, Wills, Greenwood to an extent ... but where is our forward line tall?

That's the aspect i'm worried about now, especially in light of the games we have played so far. Could we have picked a forward from Sier's draft who would be playing ok at AFL level?

Have a look of the names between 32 and 58 (Phillips)

Its s really weak draft.

Mathieson
M.Adams
Collins
Marko
Bonner
Balic
Hardwick
Hibberd
Schoenfeld

Its pretty ordinary.
Sier will be a bust, won't play any senior games but majority in that range won't play more than 20-30 games.

I'd take Adams.
Reasonable defender.

Sometimes I suspect Markfs half believes what he posts. I feel a greater sincerity from him in this thread than in most others. Anyway, why wind people up on issues likely to be well supported by the doubters? Even you must have your misgivings about Hine's supposed brilliance as a recruiter?

I have misgivings about many things at our Club.

I am just having a bit of fun with Markfs..........just like I suspect he is having with most of us here.

The deflection is strong with this one TGG!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back