Analysis Derek Hine

Remove this Banner Ad

Have a look of the names between 32 and 58 (Phillips)

Its s really weak draft.

Mathieson
M.Adams
Collins
Marko
Bonner
Balic
Hardwick
Hibberd
Schoenfeld

Its pretty ordinary.
Sier will be a bust, won't play any senior games but majority in that range won't play more than 20-30 games.

I'd take Adams.
Reasonable defender.

Thanks for that.

You lost me at the Nathan Freeman bit - a more damaging version of Dangerfield! Get real!!! As for Scharenberg, his foot problems supposedly caused him to drop from 3 to 6 in the draft, at which point, of course, we took him. Knee reconstructions aside, I have seen nothing in him that justifies a pick 3 selection. Others rave about his chances, but they are probably the same posters who think that Sier is going to be a regular in our best 22.

Even McLarty was recruited with injury problems. Sure he has been OK so far, but if he does a shoulder again or has problems with his hearing and doesn't make the grade, he will be yet another player we recruited with an injury who doesn't make it. And before you all pounce on me for being unnecessarily negative re players with disabilities, McLarty himself has said that he is 'not sure how his deafness will affect his playing career'.

There is something to be said for only recruiting players whose careers have not been affected by injury or disability.
Freeman - hard, quick, endurance, ball winner that can kick. Showed signs in the VFL, just hasn't had a fair run. That's wHey we recruited him.

Shaz - not sure if you watched the vfl on the weekend he was clean and made smart decisions...did some match winning stuff at the end of the game. These are all things you can't teach, definitely worthy of a number 3 pick. The only thing he is missing is some genuine pace...and fitness of course.

McLarty had shown in his limited game time that he is hard, smart and can kick. Nobody can hear playing in front of 80k at the G, I'd say he's at an advantage. I'm colour blind, you figure out ways to get around the day to day issues. I bet as a result of his hearing, his peripheral vision is outstanding...

Sometimes I suspect Markfs half believes what he posts. I feel a greater sincerity from him in this thread than in most others. Anyway, why wind people up on issues likely to be well supported by the doubters? Even you must have your misgivings about Hine's supposed brilliance as a recruiter?

you might notice me making some sarcastic posts when someone blames their piles on buckley...

you might notice me making some sarcastic posts when someone blames their piles on buckley...
There's a certain enjoyment to be derived from inciting a reaction from people with a controversial post. You may well be Hine's number one fan, pretending to discredit his inability to select a player not dangling some kind of baggage his neck, but secretly besotted by the man's ability to deliver the unexpected. Who care's? I don't ever really take you seriously. I just try to get a vague reading on how much of your true self you reveal in your posts. Then I allow myself a similar flight of fancy in my response.

Freeman - hard, quick, endurance, ball winner that can kick. Showed signs in the VFL, just hasn't had a fair run. That's wHey we recruited him.

Shaz - not sure if you watched the vfl on the weekend he was clean and made smart decisions...did some match winning stuff at the end of the game. These are all things you can't teach, definitely worthy of a number 3 pick. The only thing he is missing is some genuine pace...and fitness of course.

McLarty had shown in his limited game time that he is hard, smart and can kick. Nobody can hear playing in front of 80k at the G, I'd say he's at an advantage. I'm colour blind, you figure out ways to get around the day to day issues. I bet as a result of his hearing, his peripheral vision is outstanding...
I only saw the last quarter of the VFL. Thanks for the reminder to watch the replay. Genuine pace is actually a fairly important quality in a team lacking genuine speedsters down back. Perhaps it is time to play him in the seniors so we can decide if he is actually number 3 pick quality or an accident always waiting to happen. For now he is an unproven AFL talent.

McLarty also had shoulder problems. He was a risk given time lost to injury last year. However, I am not yet unhappy with the decision to recruit him. He is however yet another player recruited by us with a high draft pick who is tarnished by physical misfortune.

Sier is our most extreme left field pick, the most unexpected selection in his draft, who seems destined to spend his career getting paid good money for running laps. I think his selection is almost indefensible. Sure he is handsome with a fine physique, but he was recruited to play football, not decorate the boundary line at training or watch AFL from the stands.

I have misgivings about many things at our Club.

I am just having a bit of fun with Markfs..........just like I suspect he is having with most of us here.

The deflection is strong with this one TGG!
Are you telling me he suckered me into this and his other thread about our board; and encouraged my rantings therein just to deflect me and others from baying for the blood of his beloved one? Or perhaps to show us how insatiable our appetite for sackings has become?

Markfs!!! I trusted your sincerity for once and this is how you repay me!

and YES ... sack Hine as well. He's lost it.

I only saw the last quarter of the VFL. Thanks for the reminder to watch the replay. Genuine pace is actually a fairly important quality in a team lacking genuine speedsters down back. Perhaps it is time to play him in the seniors so we can decide if he is actually number 3 pick quality or an accident always waiting to happen. For now he is an unproven AFL talent.

McLarty also had shoulder problems. He was a risk given time lost to injury last year. However, I am not yet unhappy with the decision to recruit him. He is however yet another player recruited by us with a high draft pick who is tarnished by physical misfortune.

Sier is our most extreme left field pick, the most unexpected selection in his draft, who seems destined to spend his career getting paid good money for running laps. I think his selection is almost indefensible. Sure he is handsome with a fine physique, but he was recruited to play football, not decorate the boundary line at training or watch AFL from the stands.

Haha. Sier was certainly left field, they didn't even have a bio on him draft night. All I can say is that I hope Hine has some inside knowledge, the remainder of the picks post 32 have proven quite good ironically. hopefully he has a fair run and we can see what he's about, I think he was bottom aged also?!

With Mclarty's shoulder I'm hoping they've done their due diligence and it's a manageable situation...seems to be ok now. I would like to see him played forward.

You are right. Pace is important in today's game, but the smarter players by necessity are usually the slower ones. You can get a similar effect if you play smart, and the ball still moves quicker if you kick it accurately.

Are you telling me he suckered me into this and his other thread about our board; and encouraged my rantings therein just to deflect me and others from baying for the blood of his beloved one? Or perhaps to show us how insatiable our appetite for sackings has become?

He is a clever twisted Club plant doodles..........your slipping mate in your old age (be careful gimpy might arrive now).......but I did like some of your posts today.......and Scodog's..........and that bad arse Horse :p

The leopard also has brains.......unlike me..........I like it! :drunk:

Hine and the list management team's biggest failure has been recruiting from other clubs

Q.Lynch Young Armstrong Corrie White Mayne Wells and more I'm forgetting... Far too many misses.
Simon Buckley, Jordan Russell Uurghh I will shudder for everyone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see your point, we did give up very little but they both cost us wins through consistent poor performance and neither were up to AFL standard.

He is a clever twisted Club plant doodles..........your slipping mate in your old age (be careful gimpy might arrive now).......but I did like some of your posts today.......and Scodog's..........and that bad arse Horse :p

The leopard also has brains.......unlike me..........I like it! :drunk:

its true ...i'm a club plant... i am a financial advisor from thomastown who became blood brothers with eddie in ceremony on a broadmeadows night on a balmy evening coming back from a game at vic park in the 1979 season. We swore that we would look out for each other and that I would kill anyone who threatened his plan to take over collingwood...

On the face of it we've certainly dropped the ball in drafting/recruiting key position players... who's to blame ? only those inside the club would know for sure..

Hine, the list manager, has to take the blame. But ultimately I think the issue is that the whole footy department overrated the potential of some of our talls and failed to foresee the early demise of a couple of others. I think they expected Cloke and Brown to still be good footballers and they believed that Frost, and Keeffe would become good players and that Witts and Grundy would become a dominant combination. But alas, it wasn't to be.

I've no idea what you are all on about...do you think Hine dreamt up our recruitment strategy. He is party to discussions but would have been more told what the team DNA is and is recruiting according to the strategy set by the club and football department.

Nathan Freeman, if he ever gets a fair go at it will be a more damaging version of Dangerfield.

Shaz's recruitment got the green light from the medico's, two knee reco's are bad luck not poor recruiting!

Not sure who you would consider the bench mark, every club has its hits and misses...I think the one genuine knock on the club is that we don't have a key forward to partner Moore. We have the cash in bank and picks to lure any big name that wants to move at seasons end, and I expect them to go pretty hard.

If the top few teams get an A+ for recruiting (and not talking about list management), we have to come in pretty close and I give Hine and his scouts an A.

I think you are being too generous.

First of all thinking Freeman would be a more damaging player than Dangerfield is mind boggling (even if he never had an issue with his hamstrings).

There are a lot of similar 'type' of players we have recruited over the years. I think there is little doubt we have fallen behind other clubs in this department.

Hine, the list manager, has to take the blame. But ultimately I think the issue is that the whole footy department overrated the potential of some of our talls and failed to foresee the early demise of a couple of others. I think they expected Cloke and Brown to still be good footballers and they believed that Frost, and Keeffe would become good players and that Witts and Grundy would become a dominant combination. But alas, it wasn't to be.

and lets not forget Mr Gault... I think they put way too many eggs in that basket..

This is a touchy issue for me because when we play like we did against Sydney you tend to see all the upside of players and how good the list is, but when you play like we did against St Kilda it changes your thoughts instantly. It's an interesting topic because he can only draft with the picks he has in those draft years and all though I know alot have gone bust quite a few have come through. My theory is change the coach and assistants and get someone in with a game plan and I think we do ok. Still think the list is ok and comparing to other teams is hard. He is still safe for me but others should be on the chopping block.

On Pixel XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is a touchy issue for me because when we play like we did against Sydney you tend to see all the upside of players and how good the list is, but when you play like we did against St Kilda it changes your thoughts instantly. It's an interesting topic because he can only draft with the picks he has in those draft years and all though I know alot have gone bust quite a few have come through. My theory is change the coach and assistants and get someone in with a game plan and I think we do ok. Still think the list is ok and comparing to other teams is hard. He is still safe for me but others should be on the chopping block.

On Pixel XL using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's an interesting one.
Pick with the picks that we have.
We have been trading picks somewhat when I would prefer drafting. Trading and free agency are helpful when in a premiership window which our delusional list manager thinks that we are in.
The Traloar trade was perplexing.
As awesome a pick up that Traloar is, GWS asked for just one 1st round pick(and Jarrod Witts)
Instead we gave them 2 1st round picks. One would go on to be a top ten pick. Jarrod Witts leaves a year later for peanuts. Critically wasted.!
Still a good insight to the brains trust at Collingwood to waste such a valuable pic and another potential Traloar.

It's an interesting one.
Pick with the picks that we have.
We have been trading picks somewhat when I would prefer drafting. Trading and free agency are helpful when in a premiership window which our delusional list manager thinks that we are in.
The Traloar trade was perplexing.
As awesome a pick up that Traloar is, GWS asked for just one 1st round pick(and Jarrod Witts)
Instead we gave them 2 1st round picks. One would go on to be a top ten pick. Jarrod Witts leaves a year later for peanuts. Critically wasted.!
Still a good insight to the brains trust at Collingwood to waste such a valuable pic and another potential Traloar.
Is that true? If so, we were nuts not to let him go rather than give up 2 1st round draft picks.

Hine has been very poor recently. The only recent pickup that has shown much being Grundy. Missed huge talents in Merrett, Crisps ect.

Well to be fair to Hine literally 17 other clubs had picks before Merrett so only 1 club passed on that measure.

I am happy we don't have more than one Crisp to be honest.

There is something to be said for only recruiting players whose careers have not been affected by injury or disability.

In the past this was often the thinking as you want bang for your buck and instant results and low risk. However, that all went out the door a while back especially after Judd & Selwood were left on the table too long only because of their injuries.

Clubs are now willing to be patient if they know they are a serious talent and play the long game. The Dogs did so with Stringer who had a bad leg break, the expectation was he would slide because of this but the Dogs took him on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back