Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's playing poorly because he has a terrible boring nickname. Tabs. I mean come on....

Give him a proper nickname like 'Maggie' and he'll quickly bounce back to his best. Tabs. FFS people.

We have been running with Taberstar after his one good game this year. I understand what the guy was saying about contested marks it seems a pretty loose definition hoping Tabs can come back and take a few more pack marks.
Just cant see Macarthy, Kersten and Tabs being the solution Macarthy looks most likely if they can get good marks around him.

Tab I am still ok with it but Dawson and Griffin really struggle in wafl level . Griffin apart from tap work struggle to mark the ball and having problem with ground ball.
Griffen and Dawson need to be moved on asap, they are now holding back the growth of others.
Doesn't matter what people say on here we need to give Tabs every chance to play ruck/forward.
Same as Strnadica, Darcy, all need fast tracking.

Griffen and Dawson need to be moved on asap, they are now holding back the growth of others.
Doesn't matter what people say on here we need to give Tabs every chance to play ruck/forward.
I agree , tab will get beaten in ruck but the upside is you get to develop Sean Darcy forward role and tab ruck role. Sandi is great but when injured or not at his best the whole team just not getting use to it and depend on him too much that don't know how to play without him.

Last edited:

I have said this before and will say this again. I wouldn't be surprised if Griffen and Dawson get one more year each. I want some insurance if freo get another injury riddled season like 2011 and 2016. Anything can happen from now to this time next year. I mean exactly from a year from today we could be down to Griffin and Strnadica as rucks while Sandi and Darcy are out with a month long injuries. This time last year Freo had to rely on Dawson and Collins as our 2 key defenders as our other talls down back were injured.
I agree , tab will get beaten in ruck but the upside is you get to develop Sean Darcy forward role and tab ruck role. Sandi is great but when injured or not at his best the whole team just not getting use to it and depend on him too much.
Just remember, Sandilands missed 14 games in 2013 and freo still made a grand final. I know every one wants Darcy to play. We are rebuilding Apparently. Darcy will get games. But I prefer Darcy and Strnadica to be rotating the 2nd ruckspot with Sandi in 2018.

As for Tabs, we have to give him every game this season as he adds something to our structure. Tabs is the only Power forward on our list available now.

I have said this before and will say this again. I wouldn't be surprised if Griffen and Dawson get one more year each. I want some insurance if freo get another injury riddled season like 2011 and 2016. Anything can happen from now to this time next year. I mean exactly from a year from today we could be down to Griffin and Strnadica as rucks while Sandi and Darcy are out with a month long injuries. This time last year Freo had to rely on Dawson and Collins as our 2 key defenders as our other talls down back were injured.
Just remember, Sandilands missed 14 games in 2013 and freo still made a grand final. I know every one wants Darcy to play. We are rebuilding Apparently. Darcy will get games. But I prefer Darcy and Strnadica to be rotating the 2nd ruckspot with Sandi in 2018.

As for Tabs, we have to give him every game this season as he adds something to our structure. Tabs is the only Power forward on our list available now.
Hey friend , this is 2017 ,how old is Clarke and Griffin now , Clarke is not at his best after music festival , do Griffin look the same after 2013 injuries. Two ruckmen had be let go during this time whether they are good or bad moeller and Hannah and there is no ready replacement. Sandi like pav can't play on forever , remember early pre season how pav said the exact same thing like Sandi that he body still feel good .

Peak and bottom , do you consider that maybe freo at 2013 reach it peak so is Ross Lyon game plan. Barlow and mundy at 26 . Suban is like a fresh Weller , sutty is like langdon , d.pearce is like b.hill.

Last edited:
Hey friend , this is 2017 ,how old is Clarke and Griffin now , Clarke is not at his best after music festival , do Griffin look the same after 2013 injuries. Two ruckmen had be let go during this time whether they are good or bad moeller and Hannah and there is no ready replacement. Sandi like pav can't play on forever , remember early pre season how pav said the exact same thing like Sandi that he body still feel good .

Peak and bottom , do you consider that maybe freo at 2013 reach it peak so is Ross Lyon game plan. Barlow and mundy at 26 . Suban is like a fresh Weller , sutty is like langdon , d.pearce is like b.hill.
I am going to make this plain and simple.... Its good to have depth. Its good to have variety. Clarkes career is over sadly. So might as well Keep Griffin for one more year as depth and Put games into Strnadica and Darcy. Might get another ruckman in the Rookie list.

As for a key forward, we need another one to give Tabs competition.

They gave good service for a few years but Dawson and Griffin aren't depth 2018 onwards, they would be pure list cloggers.
Looking at Freos KPD stocks... Dawson and Johnson are at the end of their careers. Hamling is in that Prime at 24 years old. Collins is only 22/23 years old. Alex Pearce is only 22 and is good but injured. Cox is a teenager and had a debut game recently. Freo might get a Key defender in this draft. Ok Fair enough on Dawson.

As for ruck stocks... Sandi and Griffin are at the end of their careers. Zac Clarke knees are shot. Darcy is doing well in the WAFL and should get a debut game this year. Strnadica is a Ruck forward. Sandi will play in season 2018. Personally, I don't think Griffin is a list clogger in 2018. We should be Playing 2 rucks a game. One experienced one like Sandi/Griffin, the other a young one like Strnadica/Darcy.

I will ask you this question... Say if Griffin does leave this season and we head into 2018 With just Sandi, Darcy and Strnadica, are you happy with that?

I will ask you this question... Say if Griffin does leave this season and we head into 2018 With just Sandi, Darcy and Strnadica, are you happy with that?
No but there is a thing called the trade, free agency and draft at the end of the season where the club can address it. Like Griff but he's finished moving forward.

Melbourne are going OK without rucks. Rucks are list cloggers unless they can take a few marks, run around the ground and chip in with the odd goal. Sandi should retire at the end of the season and not embarrass himself as Pav did by playing one season too long.

A Pearce, Hamling, Collins, Cox, Uebergang are all KPD's.

Since 2015 we have generally only played 2 KPD's in our backline, so we have 3 more for depth. Dawson is gonski.

---

Sandi, Darcy, Apeness, Strnadica will be on out list next year and all but Strnadica would probably be more capable than Griff as our ruck.

I also think that if our medicos clear Zac Clarke he'll be re-signed on a 1 year - $150k deal for depth.

I also think that if our medicos clear Zac Clarke he'll be re-signed on a 1 year - $150k deal for depth.
Absolutely spot on ,already spend time and money on Clarke no point delisted him now. Apart from nicholls who is younger and got time to learn the game plan, other like casboult, Stanley , will need to unlearn their old team game plan and learn freo game plan .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread still going I reckon every chance he'll be delisted or traded at the end of the year, don't know what his contract situation is though
contract ends this season.... Personally I want to keep him for another year. At worst he is depth at best, he can kick 2-4 goals with 10-12 disposals

contract ends this season.... Personally I want to keep him for another year. At worst he is depth at best, he can kick 2-4 goals with 10-12 disposals
Why keep a player as depth after 5 years ? I don't know about your reason but this keep changing chair thing got to stop . Griffin,sutty,sherriden ,tab , is given enough time to prove themselves .

Why keep a player as depth after 5 years ? I don't know about your reason but this keep changing chair thing got to stop . Griffin,sutty,sherriden ,tab , is given enough time to prove themselves .
He's never given a fair run of it. When Sheridan, Sutty, Suban, D. Pearce get chosen time and time again, no matter how bad they have been. Watching today just knew Tabs would've done better at the contests and provided better marking target.

He's never given a fair run of it. When Sheridan, Sutty, Suban, D. Pearce get chosen time and time again, no matter how bad they have been. Watching today just knew Tabs would've done better at the contests and provided better marking target.
Like I said if given fair run , yet he don't delivered to be fair to both side of coin he need to be delisted. No point arguing , is better for him to go somewhere else. I really don't see the point of him staying on the list and play wafl .

The Taberner class AFL forwards

Griffiths ( Rich )
Vickery ( Haw )
White ( Coll )
Darling ( WC )
Shoenmakers ( Haw )
Close ( Bris )
Elton ( Rich )
Brown ( Ess )
Pedersen ( Melb )

In and out of the side , give you a bit of a target but everyone knows they are not the answer , unless the question is how badly do we need another forward then they give you the answer quite clearly

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like I said if given fair run , yet he don't delivered to be fair to both side of coin he need to be delisted. No point arguing , is better for him to go somewhere else. I really don't see the point of him staying on the list and play wafl .

Yeah but hasn't been given a fair run. In and out of the side for years does not = fair run.
How many times has Kersten been dropped this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back