Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
KM, with the Dog's position this year and the upcoming retirements of older stars, who could you see us going after ?

Yep - Dermott Brereton is a long standing expert on draft depth. He spends 100s of hours watching tapes from WAFL, SANFL, TAC games.....in between surfing and bayside lunches.

Give me a spell!

This time last year McGrath and Taranto were only just coming onto the radar as top 30 talent, let alone where they eventually went (#1 and #2). Yet both have played every single game bar being "rested" for a game each.

Most recruiters and draft bloggers had them as "depth" draftees this time last year too.

Last edited:
Yep - Dermott Brereton is a long standing expert on draft depth. He spends 100s of hours watching tapes from WAFL, SANFL, TAC games.....in between surfing and bayside lunches.

Give me a spell!

This time last year McGrath and Taranto were only just coming onto the radar as top 30 talent, let alone where they eventually went (#1 and #2). Yet both have played every single game bar being "rested" for a game each.

Most recruiters had them as "depth" draftees this time last year too.
100% with you every year seems to be so so up until now but lately they all seem good come draft day and once a few extra players arrive on the scene.

100% with you every year seems to be so so up until now but lately they all seem good come draft day and once a few extra players arrive on the scene.

What I feel observers get trapped into is remembering what drafted player A was like in September last year and thinking potential draftee B needs to be like that in June this year.

It's completely wrong.

They're all overlooking the fact that all these players DEVELOP CONSTANTLY throughout the year.

What I feel observers get trapped into is remembering what drafted player A was like in September last year and thinking potential draftee B needs to be like that in June this year.

It's completely wrong.

They're all overlooking the fact that all these players DEVELOP CONSTANTLY throughout the year.

I find it frustrating that once player A has a reputation he is set for life...others never get a look in

Hi Knightmare thanks for your insight

My Rankings after watching year unfold

The ones in bold have shocked me with how good there going-Have Sutherland playing Cricket

1. Cameron Rayner - Western Jets

2. Darcy Fogarty - Glenelg

3. Jack Higgins - Oakleigh Chargers

4 Jaidyn Stephenson - Eastern Ranges

5. Sam Hayes - Eastern Ranges

6. Jarrod Brander - Bendigo Pioneers

7. Luke Davies-Uniacke - Dandenong Stingrays

8. Joel Garner - Eastern Ranges

9. Hunter Clark - Dandenong Stingrays

10. Lochie O’Brien - Bendigo Pioneers

11.James Worpel - Geelong Falcons

12.Noah Balta - Calder Cannons

13.Connor Ballenden - Queensland Uni

14.Charlie Constable - Sandringham Dragons

15.Nick Coffield - Northern Knights

16.Callum Coleman-Jones - Sturt

17.Adam Cerra - Eastern Ranges

18.Oscar Clavarino - Dandenong Stingrays

19.Charlie Spargo - Murray Bushrangers

20.Matthew Ling - Geelong Falcons

21.Lachlan Fogarty - Western Jets

22.Paddy Dow - Bendigo Pioneers

23.Patrick Naish - Northern Knights

24.Aaron Naughton - Peel Thunder

25.Cassidy Parish - Geelong Falcons

26.Gryan Miers - Geelong Falcons

27.Jack Petruccelle - Northern Knights

28.Toby Wooler - Oakleigh Chargers

29.Jackson Edwards - Glenelg

30.Dylan Moore - Eastern Ranges

Higgins up so high is interesting. Productive as anything. Really good as a forward. But as a midfielder I find he is low impact and has a lot of empty possessions.

Davies-Uniacke should be higher. He's seriously good but had a rare quiet game v Metro.

Garner had a really nice game v Country but hasn't done enough consistently enough to be a top 10 pick.

Matthew Ling is an interesting one to have inside your top 20. Unbelievable linebreaker when he's healthy and gets a clear path. I'm not sure he has done enough to be top 20 though, but does have his fans.

Dow I rate higher, likewise Petruccelle and Wooller.

Miers is another who had a great game v Metro. Has some Dahlhaus and there is something there though not quite yet in my top 30, though with continued strong form I may have to start thinking about it.

Dylan Moore I like at 30. He's in my top 30 also and is a real genuine footballer.

Knight,
Just wanted to know your thoughts on bailey smith's last few games? As well as how Jackson Ross (draftable next year) from oackliegh is looking. Also wanted to know what you reckon on Joel Crocker?

Bailey Smith had a big game v Geelong on the weekend. Used it efficiently and seemed to enjoy the heightened midfield responsibility on the weekend, albeit against a completely depleted Geelong side that were missing six who played for Vic Country. I saw a bit of him earlier in the year. Has some pace, finds the footy and overall looks draftable. He'll be one to watch for next season. With a late 2000 birthday, there should be plenty of scope to develop.

I don't know about a Jackson Ross in next years draft from Oakleigh. Only the one that plays for Eastern and is draft eligible this year.

Joel Crocker just played his first TAC Cup game for Sandringham v Geelong. Was quiet. Haven't seen. Can't comment.

KM, with the Dog's position this year and the upcoming retirements of older stars, who could you see us going after ?

From my recent AFL list assessment piece (see signature if interested in views on the other 17 clubs)

Western Bulldogs

Greatest list need: Immediate key defender, ready to play ruckman

Dream draft selection: Jack Higgins (general forward/midfielder)

Dream trade/free agent targets: Jake Lever (trade - uncontracted), Mark Blicavs (trade - contracted)

Picks: 10, 27, 38, 81, 82, 100, 118

Knightmare says: With Joel Hamling joining Fremantle last trade period, Western Bulldogs are believed to be in the hunt for Jake Lever as a replacement and a key pillar to build the backline around. Steven May and ex-Dog Liam Jones would also as key defenders be strong alternatives. Having a slower than expected start to the season, Mark Blicavs may be attainable at the right price by seasons end. Blicavs could share the ruck load with either Tom Boyd or Jordan Roughead and also help as an on-baller where he can help Western Bulldogs improve from dead last in centre clearances. Through the draft, Jack Higgins if available as a small, crumbing forward, would complement the club's tall front half well, while also possessing the capability to push up through the midfield.

KM, what's the deal with Ben Caluzzi? Still late/rookie pick?

A plausible draft choice, though given he was not selected for Vic Metro, while it's very possible, it's an uphill battle with very strong second half of season form required to get picked.

Apparently this years draft is the worst for 5 years according to Dermott Brereton The top 5 is good then it falls away dramatically Knights high do you rank this years talent

I'd agree with Derm on the top five. After that it does open up, though even those players in my present top five aren't doing anything this U18 champs other than Rayner to really convince me they should be top five choices.

Worst in the last five years? Very possible, though it's probably a touch early to be making that call with some names not being spoken about much moving up my draft board and looking like potential late draft finds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it frustrating that once player A has a reputation he is set for life...others never get a look in
There are plenty of good kids that don't get a look in Ringo !! seems you are trying too hard to get player B noticed . you do know that recruiters don't care what is posted on these forums... I agree there are some overrated players but this is the way it works...those who do get drafted and are not that good will not last long so if the kid wants to play afl and is good enough it may happen but if not that's life and the sooner this is made reality to the dreamers the better they will come out the other side

Hey Knightmare.

Crowden, Moore, Giro & Spargo......Any chance you can give us a run-down on these 4 & if faced with a choice, rate them in what order you'd draft them compared to one another.

1. Sprago: Height major issue for Sprago but you pick him first out of these 4 given. Dual position as he can go fwd an impact the scoreboard
2. Moore : Come into top 30 calculation and is a real mover, potentially.
3. Giro (Mid) height is an issue like sprago but wins plenty of bulk ball. clean enough and great tank.
4. Crowden (Big bodied inside mid) Not as clean or as prolific as other guys the same role as him. Ready made in body wise. Played senior football from sturt and impacts the contests in that league.

Hey Knightmare.

Crowden, Moore, Giro & Spargo......Any chance you can give us a run-down on these 4 & if faced with a choice, rate them in what order you'd draft them compared to one another.

1. Moore (the only of these I'd be drafting)
+ Ball winner and genuine footballer, great at base of pack, skills solid, endurance, capable as a forward.
- Nothing I really hate.

2. Spargo
+ Fast, finds a lot of the ball inside and outside, finds plenty of it
- Inconsistent kick

3. Giro
+ Highest volume accumulator on this list - mostly outside, endurance
- Nice style left foot kick but it's inconsistent, low impact

4. Crowden
+ Big, strong build. Skills solid.
- Lacks an x-factor. Not overly quick.

Moore I have top 30 on my draft board. He grows on me each time I see him and loved his game on Saturday. The others are more types I'd take as rookies if I could accommodate a small mid and if what they do is something I need. Harsh as that is on Spargo who is top 30 for most at this stage.

Bailey Smith had a big game v Geelong on the weekend. Used it efficiently and seemed to enjoy the heightened midfield responsibility on the weekend, albeit against a completely depleted Geelong side that were missing six who played for Vic Country.

Two points if I may:

1. Bailey played the entire game in defence. There was no heightened midfield responsibility. Having said that, he is playing very well and should be a strong contender in 2018. Probably another Andrew Brayshaw type.

2. A "depleted" Geelong were missing 6 with Vic Country. Sandringham were missing M. King, B. King, McLean, Constable, A. Brayshaw, H. Brayshaw, Sakeson, Cameron and Jarnestrom from their best 22. It was a fair match up in that regard.

There are plenty of good kids that don't get a look in Ringo !! seems you are trying too hard to get player B noticed . you do know that recruiters don't care what is posted on these forums... I agree there are some overrated players but this is the way it works...those who do get drafted and are not that good will not last long so if the kid wants to play afl and is good enough it may happen but if not that's life and the sooner this is made reality to the dreamers the better they will come out the other side

Yep thanks ! Its always good to dream...without them life is pretty boring!

Last edited:
Two points if I may:

1. Bailey played the entire game in defence. There was no heightened midfield responsibility. Having said that, he is playing very well and should be a strong contender in 2018. Probably another Andrew Brayshaw type.

2. A "depleted" Geelong were missing 6 with Vic Country. Sandringham were missing M. King, B. King, McLean, Constable, A. Brayshaw, H. Brayshaw, Sakeson, Cameron and Jarnestrom from their best 22. It was a fair match up in that regard.

Gives context on why Bailey was so efficient with his ball use with more time down back.

Those losses aren't comparable to those Geelong were missing. Worpel, Parish, Walsh, Miers, Ling, McCartin.

That's an entirely depleted midfield. Worpel and Parish are the two most dominant mids in the competition with Walsh probably top 10.

I want to see both teams full strength.

Impact of any participating in the game doesn't really matter with both teams as you rightly point out depleted.

http://neafl.com.au/round-11-rising-star-nominee-sam-wicks/

What do you know about this kid. According to the swans was overlooked for the allies. I saw he got in the best players for the swans reserves last Friday night in the top of the table clash with Sydney uni. I saw some of the game including this goal.

I don't believe I've seen Wicks. He's not part of the Allies team.

Good individual highlight, though more than one positive play is required.

One to keep tracking if he has more strong performances.

Not aware of Wicks being on the radar at this stage, though a strong season could well see him rookied by Sydney.

Those losses aren't comparable to those Geelong were missing. Worpel, Parish, Walsh, Miers, Ling, McCartin.

That's an entirely depleted midfield. Worpel and Parish are the two most dominant mids in the competition with Walsh probably top 10.

You're entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Worpel = Constable
Parish = A. Brayshaw
Walsh = H. Brayshaw
McCartin = McLean
Ling = ??????
Miers = Jarnestrom

Still leaves both Kings (who are dominant already as bottom agers), a flexible 19 year old in Sakeson and another 6'2" wingman in Cameron.

I'd take that over whatever you reckon Geelong were missing.

Worpel and Parish gets heaps of footy because they're playing TAC every week whilst the privates are elsewhere. Not saying they're not good players, but their output and dominance within their side shows that their midfield doesn't run that deep after all.

Last edited:
Gives context on why Bailey was so efficient with his ball use with more time down back.

I want to see both teams full strength.

Impact of any participating in the game doesn't really matter with both teams as you rightly point out depleted.

I don't believe I've seen Wicks. He's not part of the Allies team.

Good individual highlight, though more than one positive play is required.

One to keep tracking if he has more strong performances.

Not aware of Wicks being on the radar at this stage, though a strong season could well see him rookied by Sydney.

Thanks, as I understand Wicks has played in the last 6 swans neafl games straight, is their top goal kicker during that time, won a neafl rising star and got in the best players last week with 22 disposals.

You're entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Worpel = Constable
Parish = A. Brayshaw
Walsh = H. Brayshaw
McCartin = McLean
Ling = ??????
Miers = Jarnestrom

Still leaves both Kings (who are dominant already as bottom agers), two big 19 year olds in Sakeson and H. Brayshaw and another 6'2" wingman in Cameron.

I'd take that over whatever you reckon Geelong were missing.

Worpel and Parish gets heaps of footy because they're playing TAC every week whilst the privates are elsewhere. Not saying they're not good players, but their output and dominance within their side shows that their midfield doesn't run that deep after all.

Each of those Geelong boys by position I'd take with the exception being McLean who is better than McCartin.

Overall the dynamic in the TAC Cup is Geelong have clearly the best midfield in the game, Sandringham the best talls.

I'll make a judgment on the best team when I see them both at full strength. They're both overpowered but with such contrasting strengths, it really comes down to who's terms the game is played on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back