Play Nice Drugs - we're losing

Remove this Banner Ad

The Chinese apparently real pissed off about those comments.
But the best bit for me is when asked about beating that Aussie in a later event, he said "I am the 1500 metre king" gesturing with aggression with thumb up back towards himself. That is gold television right there... ha ha.
So sounds almost as heated as the Anna Meares and English bike riding champ a few years back.

If that does not pump up ratings for whenever that event is on, nothing will.
If that Chinese guys loses that event, I would not want to be him.

The King is Dead!!!
Right Now!!!
Will not even qualify for final based on what I am watching.

Essendon players would have served their time. Time to move on.

Hope you never make a mistake. Otherwise, you might be reminded of it years after the event, even though you paid the consequences of it. But then, perfect people like you never have to worry about that, do you?
You mean the consequence of a Brownlow medal? :$:$:$

Super suits are banned now. Why? Because they give an unfair advantage.

So, what is the issue? Is it that it is drugs, or that it is performing-enhancing drugs?

If it is drugs, then would an athlete get rubbed out for using a recreational drug (e.g. marajuana)? There are drugs that athletes may use off-the-clock which don't enhance their performance. So do you give 4-Year bans to any drug use whatsoever by an athlete.

If it is that they are gaining an advantage, then so did bodysuits. World records got smashed, and people moved faster than they would have without the suit, and against athletes without them. Kathy Freeman won a gold medal in the Sydney games, wearing a body suit, and her opponents didn't. Where was the outcry? Oh, that's right, its okay when Australia gain an advantage.

If you want all Olympians and athletes to start equal, then they need to train for the same amount of time, have the same training facilities, the same diet, whatever. You will never have everyone have the same advantages (I bet some of the poorer countries in the Olympics don't have an Institute for sport to train them and make them elite), so some of those poorer countries start out behind. Some countries and some athletes will always have advantages, so to think that everything is equal is naivety at its finest.

Think about this. What is to say that any athlete at the Rio Olympics are clean. We can't be sure with anyone, because WADA, being too lazy and incompetent to do some proper investigating, had it that you don't have to fail a test to be a drug cheat. So, who knows who is clean, when a clean test fails to clear you.

Don't forget, Lance Armstrong and Cadel Evans have both never been found positive of doping. Yet one is convicted, and the other is protected and lauded. It seems to depend on how many friends you have on the circuit, and more cyclists like Evans rather than Armstrong, whereas Armstrong was an arrogant American who rubbed people the wrong way, so people are more willing to implicate him.

Did Australia gain an unfair advantage in 1982 when they use a winged keel for Australia II when we won the America's Cup? The U.S. didn't have a winged keel, so wasn't that unfair to them? Don't Hawthorn and other top teams gain an advantage over lesser teams by having more money and better facilities, better players and better coaches?

The fact is, Australians are sooks when they lose, and blame everything and everyone else, and use the drug thing as an excuse, because it is better to believe that than for an Australian athlete to think that they weren't as good on the day, and the xenophobic commentators, media and public let them get away with it.

Can't wait to see the meltdown if it ever comes out that an Australian athlete tested positive. What defense will they have then? I mean, Samantha Riley escaped sanction for swallowing a "mysterious" pill because we didn't want to lose one of our favourites to win Gold in the pool, and once an Australian athlete fails a drug test, then we will be the laughing stock of the world, for beating our chests and sitting on our high-horses, pointing out everyone else who are "cheats", while it could be happening in our own backyard. But then, it will be covered up, and most of us will be lucky to ever hear about it, I bet.
Ok I don't think you quite get it. This really has nothing to do with Australians. All Cathy Freeman's competitors could've worn a body suit, because it wasn't against the rules. The problem with drugs isn't that they give you an advantage. It's that they are ******* dangerous to your health if you take loads of them. The reason you ban them is because you don't want to turn competitive sport into some death defying stunt where you need to risk your life just to compete at an elite level.
But please, continue on your bizarre rant about Australian swimmers wearing legal swimsuits which all their competitors were wearing

I see, everyone else cheated, so we did too.

Okay, that makes it okay, then.
I don't think you really understand the meaning of cheating. Wearing a swimsuit which has been sanctioned by the governing body of your sport really doesn't come into the orbit of cheating. I guess using your cricket bat to protect your stumps falls under the same umbrella as performance enhancing drug use as well then?

Drugs - we're losing coz we're not on any

How's the 10,000m girl?

Smashing a world record set by a doper, which no one could get within 15 seconds of for decades.
The aussie girls basically accused of her doping in the post-race interview after the 5000 heats.
'I don't know if she's getting any help'.
'We're doing it clean. Yay!".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The aussie girls basically accused of her doping in the post-race interview after the 5000 heats.
'I don't know if she's getting any help'.
'We're doing it clean. Yay!".
To be fair, if you do a quick google search you'll see she's certainly not the only one saying it. It's probably the common opinion. Add to that, one of the Ethiopian coaches was recently caught with EPO on him while he was staying in the same hotel as some of their top athletes. And WADA gave their testing facilities a 0 rating. In saying all that, I didn't feel very comfortable hearing her say that in the interview either.

The reason there are so many athletes still doping is because it is still worth the risk. Take Gatlin for example. Should have been banned for life, asks for an 8 year ban rather than be kicked out of athletics for life. Then, he appeals that, and they cut it back to 4 years. Then he comes out and win gold at the championships and wonders why people boo him.

Sport needs to issue a blanket life ban on any athlete found to be doping, but they never will. Money concerns are far more important than doing the right thing.

The reason there are so many athletes still doping is because it is still worth the risk. Take Gatlin for example. Should have been banned for life, asks for an 8 year ban rather than be kicked out of athletics for life. Then, he appeals that, and they cut it back to 4 years. Then he comes out and win gold at the championships and wonders why people boo him.

Sport needs to issue a blanket life ban on any athlete found to be doping, but they never will. Money concerns are far more important than doing the right thing.
And the courts in democratic countries will overturn it. Thats why they have gone from life time bans to 4 year to 2 to 1 for first offence before cranking it up after that this decade.

All those US athletes who got life or 8 years and took it to court has those bans lifted by the court. And once the US courts started doing that after Ben Johnson got countries courts' followed. Johnson was given a life ban but appealed after he saw US courts overule sports bans. Life time bans or blanket bans only work if every country in the world pass legislation making those bans law with the courts having no wiggle room.

The day Bolt is finally exposed (won't be via a positive test, those have been covered up- but by somebody in the IAAF naming and shaming to save themselves), will be the day media around the world implodes. I can just see it already.

Having said that, I've actually enjoyed the first couple of days of this world championships. Men's marathon was the best I've seen in a long time. Simbu's run for bronze was magnificent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back