It's been awful quiet

Remove this Banner Ad

Lowdown

Debutant
Mar 9, 2011
Ferntree gully
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Boys(and girls) what's going on? With the demise of the leagues forum I thought this one might pick up the slack but it's clearly not on anyone's agenda. Just curious what's people thoughts on the season at their club. How's the points system going? The expansion etc.
I've been rapt with the upper gully season. Bar two big loses to Knox and an absolute wholloping at lilydale, I think we've been great. The club admited it thought it had a good enough list not to try recruit more, but adding mike smith has been a pretty handy addition. And as the seasons progressed we've gotten better. Next two weeks will be the true test. Lilydale at home barkers away....win those we play finals! Who'd a thunk it!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Big games this weekend in 2nd Divvy that will shape the final 4

Upper vs Lilydale and Donny East vs Mooroolbark

We (Dales) have played well last 2 weeks after a few ordinary performances

Mike Smith is a bloody gun and has been for years

Assume most teams have injury problems at this time of the season we are missiing half a dozen from our best 22

Gunna be a very interesting finals series thats for sure

Last edited:
Very happy at Donvale. 3rd year back from extinction and on top of div 4. Well drilled team and fingers crossed we can climb back up over the next few years with new club rooms a bonus. If we don't, then so be it. It's just great to have the club back and watching the juniors have a senior team to play with. Credit to those who persevered and worked incredibly hard to get back to where we are today

Balwyn coming home strong after a slow start

Great to see Doncaster and Sth Croydon being competitive

Going to be an interesting year next year when they possibly drop 3 teams to form the new 10 team Premier Division

Coming up from 2nd Div is going to be bloody hard

I think the premier from D2 from season 2018 on should be given 2 years in D1 even if they finish bottom in their 1st season in D1.

D2 this season will be out of Doncaster East (not much depth there looking at their 2's this season though),Knox or Lilydale (if they get their injured players back).UFTG a good 1st year up but lack of good forwards will hurt them in the end.

Good effort by Donvale so far and good to see a club re build and now on top of the D4 ladder.

I don't think the Premier of Div 2 in 2018 will come up. I think it may just be 2 sides going down from Div 1.

I agree with that but clubs especially D2 should be told ASAP.As for 2020 and on I still think the premier of D1 (remembering the top div will be called premier division) should be given 2 years in the premier division even if they finish bottom in their year after promotion.

Tough ask for the 2017 Div 2 winner to go up and have to finish top ten to stay there the following year

Would any current Div 2 sides want to attempt that ?

Tough ask for the 2017 Div 2 winner to go up and have to finish top ten to stay there the following year

Would any current Div 2 sides want to attempt that ?

Lets say wearing our Lilydale hats Crusey the answer is no.Last season no D2 club was ready for D1 this season on what I saw last year,sorry Bayswater and what I have seen this year Knox is the only one looking at depth etc.

Without knowing what they have in mind regarding salary caps and points etc .... for the proposed 5 div comp

Cant imagine too many current d2 clubs would see themself as potentially competitive in the proposed 10 club Premier Div

Myself I much prefer to see us having a chance every week than struggling to match the big boys

Interesting couple of years coming up thats for sure

Last edited:
I think the premier from D2 from season 2018 on should be given 2 years in D1 even if they finish bottom in their 1st season in D1.

Sorry Gmac but I am struggling to understand the logic behind this thought.
Can you please expand & give some further explanation.

Bare in mind the major reason for Premier Division is to avoid a preferential draw, and each side plays each other twice - more equitable at the highest division.

My biggest worry BB is the big gap between D1 and D2 currently and could be worse with a 10 team premier grade.If this is an issue perhaps another option could be the promoted team has more points then the other 9 teams or bigger salary cap.Perhaps I am completely wrong and the points system and salary cap will close the gap between the top D2 clubs and the D1 clubs eventually,lets hope so.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Montrose, North Ringwood & Doncaster have all pretty recently made a successful transition to Division 1. It is going to be harder to come up to the Premier League, but it is also going to be tougher to win Division 2. That said it is the next step to become a challenger in the division that is the most difficult. Blackburn & South Croydon with some key additions to a developed base have shown it is possible to challenge the traditional powers, and the competition is better for it.

I struggle to see the merits in rewarding a team that has not made a successful transition up from Division 2 at the expense of an existing 1st Division club. Points & Salary Cap are already having an equitable effect on the competition. If a club has ambition & carefully plan and execute the plan it come be done.

We came up the year the points system came in and were already close to maximum points from the prior year. It was discussed that perhaps a point discount would be appropriate, but there was absolutely no chance of it being approved.

Gmac, we've got the second leading goal kicker in the comp! Matt Lee is kicking his handful each week...we'll be right. Just got to see how we go this week. Win and then we take on Mooroolbark with finals in our sights! Have to!
As for the points system, it's clear it's not just 1st div clubs that's being affected. I heard your mob Graeme, if all players available, can't pick your best side due to the points. That's not sustainable surely.

Uppers ground was pretty ordinary

Mooroolbark beating Donny East means 2nd Div finalists will certainly come down to the last round

1st Divvy potential finalists bloody close on percentage after this weeks round
Good result for Norwood, Matty Aver the shrinking violet superstar !

3rd Div looks to be very close as well

Ground was better yesterday...hard work today in the vets after last nights rain....you blokes had it good yesterday! Thank * it's all done there for the season. How'd you think we went yesterday crusey? But for a poor 1/4 I thought we could have won that game.

Ground was better yesterday...hard work today in the vets after last nights rain....you blokes had it good yesterday! Thank **** it's all done there for the season. How'd you think we went yesterday crusey? But for a poor 1/4 I thought we could have won that game.

Perhaps a game yet again Ty that the lack of scores from your forwards on the scoreboard has hurt you,ground surface at the the MCG of the East currently superb.

Not a bad game of footy, our backline played very well

Dont think our blokes handled the heavy conditions well and you could have quite easily stolen it

Didnt think Smith had an impact not sure why you dont rotate him through the midfield / forward

Ordinary behind play incident by one of your blokes that lead to one of our kids off with the bloodrule wasnt good

You didn't win either gmac. It was a slog. Missed that incident behind play. We're genuinely not that sort of side so don't like hearing that. Disappointing. Hope he's okay. Mike has brained em this year, but he didn't have his usual game. Can't do it every week. They've started engraving his ban on the b&f this year.

What about the current D3 and D4 clubs, approx 8 of the 12 D3 clubs and approx 8 out of the 10 D4 clubs will be relegated at the end of 2018.Still like the idea of 5 divisions though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back