Injury Sam Skinner - ongoing ACL recovery (it's fine everyone, Nunez just trialling psychological warfare)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just terrible for him.......like others, hoping the club sticks by him and helps him through, although I'm sure they will. I thought of Dan Menzel.

When hearing these sorts of injuries, I can't help wondering why it happens.....is it a weakness in the individual's body structure or is it from training routine.

Either way, it's so cruel to happen at all, but to happen again is devastating........be strong Sam, we wish you well and are thinking of you:(
I wonder the same thing MM, great minds think alike. This is from a thread on the main board, sven_inc (the OP) is a qualified physio, it is broadly about Jaeger O'Meara but applies to all knee injuries, thought you may be interested. The link in svens OP is really worth a read.
I couldn't see a Jaeger specific thread but if ive missed something obvious please shift this post.

I've posted this on our Hawks Jaeger thread already but hopefully everyone's ok with me re-hashing it here.

Out in the real world I'm a Physio. I've been thinking for a while about doing a piece on Jaeger's knee particularly because his issues squarely frame something I've been finding a lot clinically with my patients.

As a bit of background, I'm really interested in getting to the bottom of why things are the way they are. My job allows me to peek behind the curtain of all sorts of athletes and pick up on patterns that lead to certain injuries and dysfunction. And with that I think I've been able to uncover some things the medical industry as a whole aren't quite aware of - AFL medicos included - in regards to what Jaeger's gone through pre-rupture. I think it may have some really important ramifications going forward in a broader sense.

I mentioned on our board that I know all this can sound a bit egotistical, but if you're interested have a read of my poorly cobbled together ramblings and feel free to share it around.

I'm keen to get this out there into the world but figured I'd post it here to get a sense of what the masses think - beyond my felow Hawks supporters.

I mention it at the end, but I see these issues far too often for them not to be viable and I'd love the Hawks to get wind of it. But in the much more likely event they don't - I hope that it might help those dealing with the issue.

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.peninsulaphysio.com.au/blog/jaeger-omeara-patella-tendonopathy/
2c11af6d732058a032183052e0ef3972.jpg

Go Hawks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Terrible news, I'm sure te players will get around him and help him through his rehab.

I wonder the same thing MM, great minds think alike. This is from a thread on the main board, sven_inc (the OP) is a qualified physio, it is broadly about Jaeger O'Meara but applies to all knee injuries, thought you may be interested. The link in svens OP is really worth a read.
Thanks for the tag.

Sorry to hear about Sam, watched his debut game and he looked really exciting. Love to watch the guys who show a bit of grunt. Really hope hes back asap and has a long career with you guys.

Just to clarify, the article on Jaeger is more so just specific to Patella Tendon issues - not really ACLs. The mechanics of a stiff back seem to set up the tendon to fail as far as I can see.

I've got an article in the works on what I'm finding with ACLs if anyone wants to keep an eye out, but I'm happy to post something here if everyone's happy?

I'm glad you posted this, it could explain a lot personally. Like O'Meara, I ruptured my Patella Tendon a few years ago, and what a coincidence that I went to the physio recently and he told me that my lower thoracic vertebrae were stiff, which is exactly what this guy was talking about.

Back to Sam though, I'm genuinely devastated for him. While most of this article is unrelated to Anterior Cruciate Ligand injuries, he makes a really good point about body mechanics playing a primary role. I'm studying this at uni at the moment and might be some help explaining why some people are more susceptible than others to getting ACL injuries. It's very complex and there's no definitive answer, but basically it's all to do with a range body mechanics problems such as having flat feet, poor ankle mobility, a wide pelvis, small ACL, poor strength ratio in the hamstrings/quads, poor hip-leg alignment (the list goes on). I'd say most AFL footballers have at least one of those things because we're all so different, but the more of them you have the more your risk goes up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the tag.

Sorry to hear about Sam, watched his debut game and he looked really exciting. Love to watch the guys who show a bit of grunt. Really hope hes back asap and has a long career with you guys.

Just to clarify, the article on Jaeger is more so just specific to Patella Tendon issues - not really ACLs. The mechanics of a stiff back seem to set up the tendon to fail as far as I can see.

I've got an article in the works on what I'm finding with ACLs if anyone wants to keep an eye out, but I'm happy to post something here if everyone's happy?

Really quality article, I'm stoked I came across it. I don't want to clog this feed, this is about Sam not me, but I do have a question or 2 because I have a flat area in my thoracic spine (around T10-T12) and have ruptured my tendon as well. I also get minor tendonitis sometimes, is it treatable because I'm not sure you mentioned it or I might have missed it. Cheers and hopefully my case further supports your idea.

Thanks for the tag.

I am sure everyone in Lions BF world would be happy for you to post it here. Thanks again sven:thumbsu:.

Really quality article, I'm stoked I came across it. I don't want to clog this feed, this is about Sam not me, but I do have a question or 2 because I have a flat area in my thoracic spine (around T10-T12) and have ruptured my tendon as well. I also get minor tendonitis sometimes, is it treatable because I'm not sure you mentioned it or I might have missed it. Cheers and hopefully my case further supports your idea.
Thanks for letting me know. Happy for you to PM me just to save clogging up this thread if you like - but in short the back stuff is absolutely treatable.

If this relates to you, you have to treat the symptom but also nail the cause for any long term solution.

3 knee reco's and not even 20 yet. Save yourself bud go sing the rest of your days. The AFL will give you a nice compensation and you'll be able to live your 40s onwards able to walk.

Poor kid unfortunately that's his career I reckon.

Shows the value in having KPP stocks.

Go for it.

Is anyone doing LARS any more or has that pretty much been shown to not be worth it in AFL?
It seems to buy 6 months off the initial time out but then fails within a few years, so you get 18 months out instead of 12. It seems most suited to buying older guys an extra year or two at the bum end of their career.

3 knee reco's and not even 20 yet. Save yourself bud go sing the rest of your days. The AFL will give you a nice compensation and you'll be able to live your 40s onwards able to walk.

Poor kid unfortunately that's his career I reckon.

Shows the value in having KPP stocks.

The literature on long term effects of knee reconstructions is pretty positive, and especially so in terms of any additional impact from having one extra attempt on top of the two he has had already in the other knee. Definitely doesn't indicate that he is gambling with his ability to walk in his forties. Obviously it's his call, but it may be more about the mental aspects now, and how badly he wants an AFL career.

The literature on long term effects of knee reconstructions is pretty positive, and especially so in terms of any additional impact from having one extra attempt on top of the two he has had already in the other knee. Definitely doesn't indicate that he is gambling with his ability to walk in his forties. Obviously it's his call, but it may be more about the mental aspects now, and how badly he wants an AFL career.
Yeah it's interesting. Obviously every person and case is different, but in my case (having had multiple knee surgeries) I found that the effect of both minor and significant surgeries was more profound than that. Mental aspects do indeed though play a massive part.

With each surgery (major or minor), the health to which my knee could return was diminished. What I mean by that is say your knee starts at 100%, and you suffer a knee injury requiring surgery. Even if the surgery is successful the knee only ever returns to 95% of its original state, and when you have multiple injuries and multiple surgeries this is compounded each time, with even successful surgeries only returning a moderately healthy state.

At some stage (different for everyone) you reach a tipping point where you knee simply won't respond how you want it to. That is not to say though that you can't lead a perfectly active life, but the ability to jump and change direction for example is compromised.

I daresay there are many out there with their own stories of knee injuries and I hope everything works out for Sam. Ripper kid when I spoke to him in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back