Preview AFL 2017 - FW1 - Geelong v Richmond, Fri, 19:50 AEST, Sep 08, 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats will win, the tigers have little finals experience, that will be the difference.

Night game, dew on the grass.

Agree. Experience will come to the fore, but I can't see Geelong slamming on a big score..

Should be a great game.

I was in grade 2 last time we were in a QF final... Hopefully it doesn't go the same way that one did :O

I rate our chances this game, despite our finals/Geelong history, we are a different team this year, it has a different feel to it than 2013-2015.
Geelong are deserved favourites, but saying we have no chance or acting as if Geelong are certainties is just ridiculous

Should be a great game.

I was in grade 2 last time we were in a QF final... Hopefully it doesn't go the same way that one did :O

I rate our chances this game, despite our finals/Geelong history, we are a different team this year, it has a different feel to it than 2013-2015.
Geelong are deserved favourites, but saying we have no chance or acting as if Geelong are certainties is just ridiculous
Won't be easy for the cats, tigers will be competitive, but Cats finals experience will be the difference.
Also it won't be easy for the Crows against GWS, but I rekon both the Crows and Cats will win their
games. I think it will be a Cats/Crows grand final.

Should be a great game. Read somewhere Richmond had won 9 out of 11 at the G this year, I didnt realise that. Defeats by Freo (after siren) and Sydney (9 points after leading by 6 goals)

Their style must stack up their at the G.
We have played well there, but to be fair we have only beat 1 top 6 team there since we didn't play Crows, Cats or Port there.
Win over Giants and close loss to Swans have been our big tests there.

Cats & Pies fans who were puzzled by Dangerfield & Grundy's suspensions for dangerous tackles earlier this season won't be pleased to hear that Ivan Maric wasn't even cited this weekend for a similar act on James Aish at North Port Oval. Aish was concussed and didn't return after half time. This should be a huge story. More inconsistency from the MRP.

Oh, and the Tigers by 4 goals, unless they get stage fright, which wouldn't surprise me. The loser of this game will go out in straight sets, so the Tigers better bloody well win, or their club will be in deep s**t.

Cats & Pies fans who were puzzled by Dangerfield & Grundy's suspensions for dangerous tackles earlier this season won't be pleased to hear that Ivan Maric wasn't even cited this weekend for a similar act on James Aish at North Port Oval. Aish was concussed and didn't return after half time. This should be a huge story. More inconsistency from the MRP.

Oh, and the Tigers by 4 goals, unless they get stage fright, which wouldn't surprise me. The loser of this game will go out in straight sets, so the Tigers better bloody well win, or their club will be in deep s**t.
Straight sets and we'll still be doing better than most other teams. Deep sh1t? Nah.

Geelong fans appear to be worried in this thread , Relax guys its only Richmond and nobody expects Richmond to win - So it should be a walk in the park

But there will be 70,000 Tigers fans Roaring , Lets hope the umpires dont get scared and not give joel his usual free kicks

Already making excuses ;)
I really hope the crowd isn't 70/25 Richmonds way. I guess that will either make the win very satisfying or the defeat very painful. I expect a fair amount of Cats supporters to rock up, more than you think.

Reckon the Tiges are a big chance, although Geelong have some finals seasoned players and a great side reckon the Tigers are due, I'm tipping Richmond by 16

Those Tiger supporters are very noisy, expect them to roar their team home

Which side is better suited to wet weather footy if it does rain on Friday?
Richmond are terrific in wet weather.

One example was the West Coast game at the G,when the rain came down in the second half,we took control of the game.

We have had great form in fine weather recently though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong have been traditionally steady performers in the wet, but I can't actually think of a single game this season where it rained. Maybe the first GWS game?

Not sure what Geelong has been like in the wet, though they've traditionally been pretty good.
I'm comfortable with our performances in the wet this year, took control of games once it got wet vs West Coast and GWS, also beat Melbourne in the wet on Anzac Day Eve. Why is that so? I guess Jack Riewoldt is probably one of the better key forwards going around in the wet, plus wet weather always plays into the hands of smalls, which we have plenty of. Plus our simplified ball movement probably adapts better to wet weather than our older, precise kicking game plan. Our taller backline may struggle however with Rance, Grimes and Astbury.

Not sure what Geelong has been like in the wet, though they've traditionally been pretty good.
I'm comfortable with our performances in the wet this year, took control of games once it got wet vs West Coast and GWS, also beat Melbourne in the wet on Anzac Day Eve. Why is that so? I guess Jack Riewoldt is probably one of the better key forwards going around in the wet, plus wet weather always plays into the hands of smalls, which we have plenty of. Plus our simplified ball movement probably adapts better to wet weather than our older, precise kicking game plan. Our taller backline may struggle however with Rance, Grimes and Astbury.

Geelong have been very good in the wet - 09 GF is a perfect example - Nick Riewoldt was at his peak - and the slow conditions made it a hell of a lot easier to control him

You look at the current Cats side - Scooter Selwood - Menegola - Henderson - Lonegran - and theres a few others - they are not quick - but they are good players - and big strong bodies - slow conditions are ideal for them

Geelongs achilles heel is a lack of pace - and certain sides have exposed them - Essendon game is a good example

As Tommy Hafey once said when he was coaching a pedestrian Collingwood side in the finals - I hope it rains every day to the Melbourne Cup .

Geelong have been very good in the wet - 09 GF is a perfect example - Nick Riewoldt was at his peak - and the slow conditions made it a hell of a lot easier to control him

You look at the current Cats side - Scooter Selwood - Menegola - Henderson - Lonegran - and theres a few others - they are not quick - but they are good players - and big strong bodies - slow conditions are ideal for them

Geelongs achilles heel is a lack of pace - and certain sides have exposed them - Essendon game is a good example

As Tommy Hafey once said when he was coaching a pedestrian Collingwood side in the finals - I hope it rains every day to the Melbourne Cup .
That's interesting. After re-watching our last quarter against you last night I didn't really think of you as a slow side. Multiple times you had players take multiple bounces up the wing, but now you mention the players, yeah that seems apt and it's a good point you make. Hopefully for us it dries out a bit so it's not slow but it's still slippery - that's where the simple ball movement will help I would think.

Geelong fans appear to be worried in this thread , Relax guys its only Richmond and nobody expects Richmond to win - So it should be a walk in the park

But there will be 70,000 Tigers fans Roaring , Lets hope the umpires dont get scared and not give joel his usual free kicks
Don't think there will 70,000 tigers fans anywhere near earshot of the umps. I note a lot of you Richmond supporters are hanging your chances on such finals preparation as attempting to sway umpires, gloating that our home game is actually to your advantage, and not much else. Should go well for your boys.

It's not wrong at all. You still want the games at the G, you just want all finals at KP.
Pick'n'choose, pick'n'choose.
No, it is wrong. We don't want any games at the G. We only choose the G when we have a choice between the G and Etihad, and that is not a choice between playing at home and playing at the G.

Where do you guys get this rubbish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back