Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably a difficult question to answer but if Noah Answerth hadn't have missed the whole season bar the 1st round and 2 qtrs do you think he would have been a strong chance for the 1st round?

I guess you would be going off his under age year to judge no?

This is probably a difficult question to answer but if Noah Answerth hadn't have missed the whole season bar the 1st round and 2 qtrs do you think he would have been a strong chance for the 1st round?

Probably similar to Ethan Casey doing his ACL in the last 30 seconds of rd 3. Fortunately for Noah he was able to get back for the Young Guns game last week and can also test at the combine.

Yes - you would be going off his bottom age efforts primarily.

Did you happen to see his return game in rd 18 against Northern Knights?

12 weeks off playing senior VFL saw him return with 30 possessions (18 contested), 8 marks (4 contested), 11 tackles, 8 clearances, 5 inside 50s and 5 goals.

He has added plenty between 2016 and 2017. He is now a strong inside midfielder who pushes forward and kicks goals.

The proof is right there.

That is precisely my point, its all good to come back to the TAC Cup where you have years/senior VFL games (how many times featured in the best?) its hard to tell if he's actually improved. Wouldn't any 1998 born AFL listed midfielder be able to do exactly that one year after their draft year? Since they've allowed 19yos to return to TAC Cup their have been plenty of stat stuffers, Brayshaw coming back after a stint at the Zebras and dominating a fringe TAC Cup team doesn't make him a better player than last year? He had a similar game against Gippsland last year with 30+ and 4 goals.

That is precisely my point, its all good to come back to the TAC Cup where you have years/senior VFL games (how many times featured in the best?) its hard to tell if he's actually improved. Wouldn't any 1998 born AFL listed midfielder be able to do exactly that one year after their draft year? Since they've allowed 19yos to return to TAC Cup their have been plenty of stat stuffers, Brayshaw coming back after a stint at the Zebras and dominating a fringe TAC Cup team doesn't make him a better player than last year? He had a similar game against Gippsland last year with 30+ and 4 goals.

His Gippsland game last year and the Northern game this year were poles apart.

If you watched both of them, which I did, then I'm sure you'd agree. Suffice to say the way he kicked his four (sitting in the square as Florent and Taranto drilled him) and racked up his 30 against Gippsland (mainly back half UCP mopping up) was far less impressive than his 30poss/5gls last month.

It appears you're criticising him for not getting mentions in the Zebras best players and presuming that means he hasn't developed. There's half a dozen AFL listed St Kilda kids not getting best player mentions either, and several of them are 20-21 years old.

Maybe grab a tape or two and you'll find you can make some more informed opinions. Not that you're not entitled to yours as it is. It just carries minimal weight as far as I'm concerned.

If you watched both of them, which I did, then I'm sure you'd agree. Suffice to say the way he kicked his four (sitting in the square as Florent and Taranto drilled him) and racked up his 30 against Gippsland (mainly back half UCP mopping up) was far less impressive than his 30poss/5gls last month.

It appears you're criticising him for not getting mentions in the Zebras best players and presuming that means he hasn't developed. There's half a dozen AFL listed St Kilda kids not getting best player mentions either, and several of them are 20-21 years old.

Maybe grab a tape or two and you'll find you can make some more informed opinions. Not that you're not entitled to yours as it is. It just carries minimal weight as far as I'm concerned.

Ditto, I've formed my opinions from what I've seen too, I will agree with you though that the youngest Brayshaw looks a serious, early first rounder :thumbsu:

Any idea when the teams for the U17 Futures Game on Grand Final Eve will be named.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some time next week.

What are your thoughts on Hamish Brayshaw? Stats wise he seems on par or superior to Andrew, yet Andrew is being talked up as a possible top 10 pick and Hamish by all reports might not even get drafted. What is it that sets them so far apart, and what would you describe as their strengths and weaknesses respectively?

Hamish has been terrific late season for Sandringham. He was relatively quiet v Oakleigh which was disappointing, whereas Andrew by contrast starred, but Hamish's other games and VFL form through the second half of the season was strong. He is in the draft mix late draft.

Of the two, for skills and to a lesser extent pace, I favour Andrew. Forward of centre, that is where Hamish is more advanced. Otherwise, fairly similar midfield capabilities, with Andrew the overall slightly better rounded, and being the year younger, more in demand prospect.

Hi Knightmare, bit of a different one here.

The AFL website is reporting Carlton is pursuing Devon Smith with a midfield role in mind. I've read Devon registered a 15.1 beep and top three 30m sprint finish in his '11 combine, which bodes well for his running capabilities. In his junior days, did you see him having midfield potential despite his height?

My, and I imagine the club's, interest in Devon is if he can make that transition, and am currently unsure whether it's his ability or the Giants midfield depth which has played the bigger role in not facilitating that path.

Cheers.

Devon has the scope to play some midfield. He's small, so I don't see him starring, few do at 175cm. If Carlton secured Smith and wanted to play him through the midfield, I'd expect him to split his time between midfield and forward.

His speed/endurance is fine. Pressure is his real strength. Ball winning capabilities only average and what will hold him back from being as good as a Zorko or Neale through the mids at that similar height.

Without stepping on anyone's toes, what does an overager have to do to get drafted? Hamish has put up some exceptional numbers in recent weeks, surely that is enough to get him into calculations.

Hamish deserves to be in calculations. The key is, they're a year older, so expectations are much higher, as there is one year already lost where they could have been developing in the AFL system (and the training load is entirely different to anything they have been exposed to, with these kids coming into the system doing half loads for the most part and still struggling with that mostly).

A combination of talent, production and list needs/list fit are among the variables clubs will look at when assessing overagers.

Hamish ticks the production box. He's a good talent and I'd give him a tick there (he's inside my top 40 talents this year though not all will agree) and then list fit is the questionmark with not all clubs needing a mid or mid/fwd as much as in some cases - kpps, pace, skill or whatever a particular club is looking to address.

Key defenders;

Brodie Mihocech (Port Melbourne/VFL)
Sean Gregory (Coburg/VFL)
James Ferry (Essendon/VFL)
Cam O'Shea (Northern Blues/VFL)
Nathan Cooper (UNSW/NEAFL)
Darcy Baron-Hay (Sydney Uni/NEAFL)

Key Forwards;

Tyler Keitel (West Perth/WAFL)
Jack Hayes (Eagles/SANFL)
Alex Boyse (Essendon/VFL)
Bailey Fritsch (Casey Demons/VFL)

Midfielders;
Anthony Brolic (Box Hill/VFL)
Jordan Keras (Southport/NEAFL)
Nick Hind (Essendon/VFL)
Nick Holman (Central Districts/SANFL)
Mitch Grigg (Norwood/SANFL)
Haiden Schloith (South Fremantle/WAFL)
Tim Kelly (South Fremantle/WAFL)
Brett Bewley (Williamstown/VFL)
Oskar Baker (Aspley/NEAFL)

Probably missed a number of guys but that's a good starting point imho

Definitely a good starting point.

The issue with so many of those, particularly the talls, and even half of those midfielders, is, I can put a line straight through so many of those.

I don't believe Answerth would have been a first round pick. I had him pegged as a possible second round pick coming into the season based on 2017 performances. He would have needed a big season to earn a position inside the first round.

Which Draft do you believe to be stronger this year or next??
Also who do you see Carlton going after with their picks this year??

Which Draft do you believe to be stronger this year or next??
Also who do you see Carlton going after with their picks this year??

Next looks stronger.

Cameron Rayner, Paddy Dow or Luke Davies-Uniacke (depends which of the three is available) probably goes to Carlton with the sides first pick.

Later picks probably will be needs fillers.

Next looks stronger.

Cameron Rayner, Paddy Dow or Luke Davies-Uniacke (depends which of the three is available) probably goes to Carlton with the sides first pick.

Later picks probably will be needs fillers.
If you are carlton would you trade pick 3 to north,brisbane or gold coast for their 1st round pick next year?

If you are carlton would you trade pick 3 to north,brisbane or gold coast for their 1st round pick next year?

A top 3 pick next year is more valuable.

Jack Lukosius and Izak Rankine would be clear number one picks this year if in this draft. Some may also make a case for Max King.

I'd trade the pick for the first round selections of North and Brisbane.

Gold Coast if they move Ablett and/or look like they'll get worse rather than better.

A top 3 pick next year is more valuable.

Jack Lukosius and Izak Rankine would be clear number one picks this year if in this draft. Some may also make a case for Max King.

I'd trade the pick for the first round selections of North and Brisbane.

Gold Coast if they move Ablett and/or look like they'll get worse rather than better.
But could you see any of those 3 clubs willing to do the trade?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You get a bit precious about your dragons
Hamish is a chance no more no less
His lack of spread and athleticism was noticable on the weekend
Looks a late late pick or rookie to me
Andrew Brayshaw looks top ten atm

You get a bit precious about your dragons
Hamish is a chance no more no less
His lack of spread and athleticism was noticable on the weekend
Looks a late late pick or rookie to me
Andrew Brayshaw looks top ten atm

Nothing wrong with healthy debate is there? If Andrew goes top 10 and Hamish gets rookied I'd be delighted.

KM what do you see as the main differences between Dow, Cerra & LDU? Which one would be most suited to Carlton?

Knightmare who would you rather draft, Paddy Dow or Sam Walsh. Forget that Walsh is draft eligible until next year. You're drafting on potential as to has who you believe will have the better long term career.

Knightmare who would you rather draft, Paddy Dow or Sam Walsh. Forget that Walsh is draft eligible until next year. You're drafting on potential as to has who you believe will have the better long term career.
Sam Walsh him being a Lions Supporter puts him in front for mine we have got to start drafting the players who support the Lions or we will continue to lose players

Last edited:
Sam Walsh him being a Lions Supporter puts him in front for mine we got to start drafting the players who support the Lions or we will continue to lose players
I dunno, them Geelong Falcons kids tend to settle in well at Brisbane. You could almost call us Northern Geelong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back