Poll - Who would you rate as the weakest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the weakest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 64 4.2%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Essendon 1993

Votes: 73 4.7%
  • Carlton 1995

Votes: 16 1.0%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Adelaide 97-98

Votes: 126 8.2%
  • Essendon 2000

Votes: 34 2.2%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Port 2004

Votes: 40 2.6%
  • Sydney 2005

Votes: 35 2.3%
  • West Coast 2006

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 14 0.9%
  • Hawthorn 2008

Votes: 28 1.8%
  • Collingwood 2010

Votes: 26 1.7%
  • Sydney 2012

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 25 1.6%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 494 32.1%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 509 33.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I might be a bit salty (despite only being 1 and thus having not watched that game but more premierships) over this but I was reading about this the other day. How the **** did they make it past week 1? Lost the first final from 5th and still went through. Makes no sense

it makes perfect sense. the system in place only eliminated a certain number of losing teams based on their ladder position (i believe the two lowest ranked losing teams?). results went adelaides way, and they survived 'til the next week despite losing first up, then won the premiership.

Bulldogs 2016, Crows 97/98, North 99 or Sydney 2005 (probably not the latter due to being streets ahead on tactics and game plan for the time).

it makes perfect sense. the system in place only eliminated a certain number of losing teams based on their ladder position (i believe the two lowest ranked losing teams?). results went adelaides way, and they survived 'til the next week despite losing first up, then won the premiership.
That's dumb as s**t with a top 8.

I think people are forgetting how hard it is to win a premiership. And even with a much even season. Wouldn't it be just as hard to get it done. With every week a hard contest

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I might be a bit salty (despite only being 1 and thus having not watched that game but more premierships) over this but I was reading about this the other day. How the **** did they make it past week 1? Lost the first final from 5th and still went through. Makes no sense

The old final series was flawed but people only complain about 98 Crows because they won the whole thing (playing 5 away games straight in the process )

Everyone brings this series up as to why the finals changed, but then ignore Carlton 1999! I wonder why that is? The main difference being Carlton lost the GF but the fact they got there is a bigger indictment than the 98 Crows

Finished 6th - lost by 12 goals to Brisbane - semi final against West Coastat the MCG even though Eagles finished 5th and won their first final

Essendon 1996 also exploited the old final system to get within 1 Tony Lockett behind from a GF -

Never hear about those two teams do we?

I had some Melbourne supporting muppett last week complain about 98 QF to me by saying Crows played Geelong in Adelaide the next week!!?? What the fuxk?

Out of all the inconsistencies and unlevel playing fields that the AFL finals system produces, you gotta pick on the team that played five consecutive away games on their way to back to back, yeah?

Further to that the two seasons get erroneously conflated together to the point everyone forgets Adelaide 97 was the FIRST team to win 4 finals in a single series to win the flag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The old final series was flawed but people only complain about 98 Crows because they won the whole thing (playing 5 away games straight in the process )

Everyone brings this series up as to why the finals changed, but then ignore Carlton 1999! I wonder why that is? The main difference being Carlton lost the GF but the fact they got there is a bigger indictment than the 98 Crows

Finished 6th - lost by 12 goals to Brisbane - semi final against West Coastat the MCG even though Eagles finished 5th and won their first final

Essendon 1996 also exploited the old final system to get within 1 Tony Lockett behind from a GF -

Never hear about those two teams do we?

I had some Melbourne supporting muppett last week complain about 98 QF to me by saying Crows played Geelong in Adelaide the next week!!?? What the fuxk?

Out of all the inconsistencies and unlevel playing fields that the AFL finals system produces, you gotta pick on the team that played five consecutive away games on their way to back to back, yeah?
Tbf that system is massively flawed but i was just messing around, i just wanted to know how it worked since i looked it up the other day and couldn't comprehend how adelaide actually got past the first week after losing.

You can only beat what's put in front of you. :rainbow:

It's funny because when we were losing 3 elimination finals in a row much of the talk was about how good are top 5 were and how exposed our depth was when they weren't on. 3 of those 4 still at the club had career best seasons this year (and Riewoldt played a vital team role) despite previous AA seasons and even a Brownlow in there. Plus the additions of Prestia, Caddy, and Nankervis (plus Asbury's development) hugely strengthened our 2nd tier.

Our bottom 6 (Townsend, Butler, Castagna, Graham, Broad, McIntosh) doesn't read great on paper, but Graham played a gem of a GF, and Broad kept Lynch in check. No premiership side is completely brilliant from top to bottom, that's why how you fill your bottom 6 is so important.

It is highly amusing salt from Grant Thomas though, considering he had an immensely talented list, yet was too limited as a coach to take them past prelim week. :$

Get used to it Tigers supporters, they're already finding ways to try to demean and discredit your premiership.
Enjoy the saltiness and throw s**t back to them to make them even saltier
I am surprised by that too.
Phenomenal win that was largely based on effort over talent. Hats off to it.
I've said all year i'd love Essendon to watch how they go at 110%, rather than slipping in and out of games.

I voted Dogs 2016.
Finished 7th during the season. Failed to back that up the year following.

Seems a ridiculous topic though.
Who is the worst of the best? :S

Better side than Collingwood in 1990!
Nah mate.
1993 Essendon - only won 13 games with a percentage of 119.
That is the worst for any flag winner.
Then lost first final, then played 2 more finals at the MCG both against interstate teams who had finished 5th & 6th. Joke of a finals system in those days.
So they had the worst record & easiest home based Finals wins.
Plus don't forget they were found to have cheated on the salary cap.
It's clear.

Get used to it Tigers supporters, they're already finding ways to try to demean and discredit your premiership.
Enjoy the saltiness and throw s**t back to them to make them even saltier
Gladly mate, this is going to be the best off season in bigfooty history. :p

We are Premiers!! We are Premiers!!

Back