Rd 1 2018 fixture guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Found this on the GC Suns website regarding the use of Metricon next year.

"There will be a period of time, possibly ten rounds, where we will have to play games away from Metricon Stadium. As a result, we will try and push as many home games as we can into the back half of the season."

Thursday:
Richmond V Cartlon MCG
Friday:
Collingwood V Melbourne MCG
Saturday:
St.Kilda V Adelaide Docklands
Sydney V Western Sydney SCG
Hawthorn V Essendon MCG
Brisbane V North Gabba
Sunday:
Bulldogs V Fremantle Docklands
Port Power V Gold Coast AO
West Coast V Geelong PS

Thursday Night:
Richmond v Carlton MCG
Friday Night:

West Coast v Adelaide Perth Stadium
Saturday:

Melbourne v Collingwood MCG
Sydney v St Kilda SCG
GWS Giants v Geelong Cats Manuka Oval
Port Adelaide v Fremantle Adelaide Oval
Sunday:

North Melbourne v Brisbane Etihad Stadium
Hawthorn v Essendon MCG
Gold Coast v Western Bulldogs Cairns

Last edited:

Found this on the GC Suns website regarding the use of Metricon next year.

"There will be a period of time, possibly ten rounds, where we will have to play games away from Metricon Stadium. As a result, we will try and push as many home games as we can into the back half of the season."
I can see one home game @ Gabba, away v Lions and A game in Cairns. The 9 home games last 15 rounds.
What are they doing with the extra 15k seats from the games? Taken down straight away?

I can see one home game @ Gabba, away v Lions and A game in Cairns. The 9 home games last 15 rounds.
What are they doing with the extra 15k seats from the games? Taken down straight away?
I think they're going to play 4 home games away from Metricon from what I've read. I reckon they are going to play home games at the Gabba and Cairns and also might play a home game in the Gold Coast but not at Metricon. Not exactly sure on the arrangement though with where they play their home games and how many they will have to play away from Metricon. I'd assume once the games finish that they would take down the temporary seating straight away.

Yep. Extension is temporary.

I pretty much agree with you.

In recent years Carlton have been the runt in the Big 4 litter and perhaps as a consequence have missed out on the Marquee games whereas the others have built 2 or 3 strong marquee games.

Richmond have Round 1, Dreamtime and ANZAC Eve and after Saturday there is zero chance of the AFL even thinking of interfering with any.

Essendon have in ANZAC and Dreamtime probably the Two stand out home and away fixtures - though next year Round 1 will probably outdraw both.

Carlton would quite rightly kick up a scene if deprived of Round 1 VS the Mighty Tiger.
Why should Carlton have a blockbuster game just because they're Carlton.

Footy fans want to see the best teams go at it in the big time slots, its why Sydney v Adelaide drew one of the biggest TV audiences this year.

I think there are a bunch of guiding principles to think about with this:
  • Let's assume RIC v CAR opens the season on Thursday
  • Collingwood and Melbourne have requested each other
  • GWS are unable to play at Spotless - if they are at home in Round 1 it would have to be at Manuka.
  • Gold Coast can't use Metricon so will probably be away for Round 1.
With that said:

Thu 7:20 Richmond v Carlton @ MCG
Fri 7:50 Collingwood v Melbourne @ MCG
Sat 1:45 Geelong v Giants @ Simonds
Sat 4:35 St Kilda v Essendon @ Etihad Stadium
Sat 7:20 Sydney v Adelaide @ SCG
Sat 7:40 West Coast v Fremantle @ Perth Stadium
Sun 1:10 North v Gold Coast @ Etihad Stadium
Sun 3:20 Brisbane v Hawthorn @ The Gabba
Sun 4:40 Power v Bulldogs @ Adelaide Oval

Last edited:
I have a feeling this game will be on Friday Night. Richmond have played Collingwood in round 2 for the past two years so if that goes ahead again then I think the AFL will schedule the Collingwood v Melbourne game on friday night with the Richmond v Carlton game on Thursday night.
Not last year, Richmond v Collingwood and Melbourne v Essendon will be directly linked to ANZAC Day because it falls on a Wednesday.

I think there are a bunch of guiding principles to think about with this:
  • Let's assume RIC v CAR opens the season on Thursday
  • Friday is Good Friday - haven't North and the Dogs asked for that to be repeated?
  • Collingwood and Melbourne have requested each other
  • GWS are unable to play at Spotless - if they are at home in Round 1 it would have to be at Manuka.
  • Gold Coast can't use Metricon so will probably be away for Round 1.
  • Geelong v Hawthorn Easter Monday
With that said:

Thu 7:20 Richmond v Carlton @ MCG
Fri 4:40 North v Bulldogs @ Etihad Stadium
Sat 1:45 Power v Essendon @ Adelaide Oval
Sat 4:35 Sydney v Giants @ SCG
Sat 7:20 Collingwood v Melbourne @ MCG
Sat 7:40 West Coast v Fremantle @ Perth Stadium
Sun 1:10 Brisbane v Gold Coast @ The Gabba
Sun 3:20 St Kilda v Adelaide @ Etihad Stadium
Mon 3:20 Geelong v Hawthorn @ MCG
Easter is Round 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Shanghai game, if it is on for 2018, is a nominal GC home game despite Port being the ones trying to get into that market somehow. No matter what, they're in for a travel nightmare and some home games at the Gabba in the first half of the season.

Thursday
Carlton vs Richmond, MCG, 7:50 PM

Friday
West Coast vs Essendon, Burswood, 7:50 PM

Saturday
GWS vs North Melbourne, Spotless, 2:10 PM
Western Bulldogs vs Sydney, Docklands, 4:45 PM
Collingwood vs Melbourne, MCG, 7:20 PM
Geelong vs Gold Coast, Kardinia Park, 7:40 PM

Sunday
St. Kilda vs Fremantle, Docklands, 1:10 PM
Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn, Adelaide Oval, 3:20 PM
Brisbane vs Adelaide, Gabba, 4:40 PM

Thursday
Carlton vs Richmond, MCG, 7:50 PM

Friday
West Coast vs Essendon, Burswood, 7:50 PM

Saturday
GWS vs North Melbourne, Spotless, 2:10 PM
Western Bulldogs vs Sydney, Docklands, 4:45 PM
Collingwood vs Melbourne, MCG, 7:20 PM
Geelong vs Gold Coast, Kardinia Park, 7:40 PM

Sunday
St. Kilda vs Fremantle, Docklands, 1:10 PM
Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn, Adelaide Oval, 3:20 PM
Brisbane vs Adelaide, Gabba, 4:40 PM
Love the timeslot. Maybe Manuka though.

Richmond vs Geelong to open the season on the Thursday night.

Adelaide vs Melbourne friday night

Sydney vs GWS Saturday afternoon

Bombers vs dogs in twilight sat game

WCE vs freo to open the stadium sat night

Port vs saints as the other sat night bill

Lions vs gold Coast sunday at 1 (worst interstate teams get the low profile slot

Hawthorn vs collingwood sunday at 3 ( two Non finalists who could pull a crowd)

North vs carlton at 4.40 ( bottom two vic teams get the worst bill of the weekend)

You can bank Essendon v Hawthorn...no other match-up for either in Round 1.
Really, why is that, considering:

1. West Coast are likely to host the first game in the new stadium over there and have requested a "big" Melbourne side (Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood and maybe Hawthorne) to play there.
2. Richmond/Carlton and Collingwood/Melbourne are virtually locked in
3. Hawthorne haven't played an away interstate game in round 1 since 2011, the previous being 2007.

All in all, it's looking more likely that West Coast will play Essendon or Hawthorne round 1

Really, why is that, considering:

1. West Coast are likely to host the first game in the new stadium over there and have requested a "big" Melbourne side (Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood and maybe Hawthorne) to play there.
2. Richmond/Carlton and Collingwood/Melbourne are virtually locked in
3. Hawthorne haven't played an away interstate game in round 1 since 2011, the previous being 2007.

All in all, it's looking more likely that West Coast will play Essendon or Hawthorne round 1

Because of Essendon's and Hawthorn's request for that Round 1 game on the same round, due to the success of this year.

Because of Essendon's and Hawthorn's request for that Round 1 game on the same round, due to the success of this year.
Just because a team requests something doesn't mean it'll happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back