Justin Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely stoked with Justin Reid this year. After a terrible balls up last year he smashed it out of the park this year - it is great to actually watch someone learn lessons from mistakes and implement them under pressure. The club coped so much crap last week with Lever, holding onto Cameron ,Walkers comments etc but he didnt budge , he didnt stray from his (the clubs) plan - we want 2 firsts for Lever and he got them, we won't trade Charlie (and then didnt entertain it until the very end and got massive overs). With the hand he was dealt with 2 key players leaving an outstanding result

Wigg trade for 39 - gets Edwards even if Port decided to spoil the party with a nomination in there 30-40 picks
Lever trade - all agree given uncontracted a very good deal (far far better than what we got for Danger)
Gibson - gives the SANFL a bigger body to protect kids as we have no experienced midfielders there now, can play a role at AFL level if required

But the kicker - assuming Adelaide finish 5th and Carlton 14th (which I think both are worst case for us next year)

Gibbs 2018 pick 23 and 41 for Charlie, 16 and 2018 pick 31 - a pick downgrade in the second and third rounds in a deeper draft and swap Charlie for Gibbs. Thats an A ++
He was headed for an A++ until he agreed to the Gibbs reaming. That idiocy alone reduces an A++ to a C-.

He did 4 really good deals, then ruined all of that great work with one really really bad deal.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

He was headed for an A++ until he agreed to the Gibbs reaming. That idiocy alone reduces an A++ to a C-.

He did 4 really good deals, then ruined all of that great work with one really really bad deal.

Cheer up - we might still select a Geelong Falcon with strong family ties with pick 12 yet

He was very good last year, and brilliant this year.

Serious operator this guy.

He doesn't wilt. At all. Media s**t storm has been all over him both trade periods and he has behaved with unshakeable clarity and ruthlessness.

I particularly loved that in the face of last year's heat around Gibbs - frailty in the midfield, drought-stricken fanbase bearing down on him, a gun player finally requesting to come to us - he was unfailingly, coldly, unflappably clear on where our list was at, and how much was too much to pay.

And then he goes and gets his man this year for Cameron and a bag of oranges. And keeps two firsts and an early second for the following year's bumper draft.

He was lambasted by every armchair expert last year. Personally I thought he was brilliant and built on that this year. This is the first seriously good list manager this club has ever had.
Yea I’ve been pleased with him

So.. anchoring huh

Anyone think Noble might not have been paying attention in class?

Brisbane offers pick 20
We anchor

Tick tock

Still anchoring

Tick tock

Noble caves at the last minute and offers us 12

If we don’t anchor we only get pick 20

Anyone still believe old house of cards Dave Noble got the best deal he could for Danger?

And who knows what vandalism he’d have done to our list prospects if he was still with us for this trade period
You don't reckon it's possible Nobes and JR colluded to keep 12 away from SOS? They shared a pretty nice hug after signing off on Charlie. Sounds a little out there but I have a feeling...

Which part of the Gibbs deal don't you like? Pick 10, the 16 transfer to 2018 and slight downgrade? Or the side dishes? Just for clarity, because all you've said is blah blah it sucked.

Which part of the Gibbs deal don't you like? Pick 10, the 16 transfer to 2018 and slight downgrade? Or the side dishes? Just for clarity, because all you've said is blah blah it sucked.
Spot on, said it in the Gibbs thread, pick 10 and a transfer of picks from late 2017 first round to early 2018 second round is a good result

Spot on, said it in the Gibbs thread, pick 10 and a transfer of picks from late 2017 first round to early 2018 second round is a good result

I think its better than that. I also said this on the Gibbs thread, but I see it as two parts

1. Gibbs for Cameron, Wigg and a downgrade of pick 10 to 12. --- WIN
2. Pick 16 for picks ~21 and ~39 in a superdraft -- WIN

Well done Justin Reid.

You don't reckon it's possible Nobes and JR colluded to keep 12 away from SOS? They shared a pretty nice hug after signing off on Charlie. Sounds a little out there but I have a feeling...

SOS knew Charlie was getting signed off.

Absolutely stoked with Justin Reid this year. After a terrible balls up last year he smashed it out of the park this year - it is great to actually watch someone learn lessons from mistakes and implement them under pressure. The club coped so much crap last week with Lever, holding onto Cameron ,Walkers comments etc but he didnt budge , he didnt stray from his (the clubs) plan - we want 2 firsts for Lever and he got them, we won't trade Charlie (and then didnt entertain it until the very end and got massive overs). With the hand he was dealt with 2 key players leaving an outstanding result

Wigg trade for 39 - gets Edwards even if Port decided to spoil the party with a nomination in there 30-40 picks
Lever trade - all agree given uncontracted a very good deal (far far better than what we got for Danger)
Gibson - gives the SANFL a bigger body to protect kids as we have no experienced midfielders there now, can play a role at AFL level if required

But the kicker - assuming Adelaide finish 5th and Carlton 14th (which I think both are worst case for us next year)

Gibbs 2018 pick 23 and 41 for Charlie, 16 and 2018 pick 31 - a pick downgrade in the second and third rounds in a deeper draft and swap Charlie for Gibbs. Thats an A ++

i think it was feenix67 who raised an interesting point on the CrowCast on Tuesday about how Reid spoke to the media last year. It was very player agent like in coming straight out and chatting away. Listen to the player agents this year especially in how they use the media and the overshare of information they often give. Reid spoke like that last year because he was still in the player agent mindset a bit because he hadn't left that role that long ago. This year he has changed because the way a List Manger at a club talks to the media (especially from our club) is vastly different in how we use or don't use the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We overpaid for Gibbs certainly but we also got overs for CC. Wait and see next year if it was worth it I say.

We overpaid for Gibbs certainly but we also got overs for CC. Wait and see next year if it was worth it I say.
The equation works out that we essentially gave up Pick 10 plus some pick downgrades to get Gibbs. Gibbs might only play 4 or 5 years for us but those 4 or 5 years will be higher quality than any pick 10 we get this year.

They live next door to Kurt's family

If quantum physics has taught us anything it is that family can be anywhere (except Adelaide) at any one time for no particular reason.

SOS knew Charlie was getting signed off.

Yeah but SOS couldn't sit and wait until the last 5 minutes of the trade period for the Cameron deal to get done because it would take away his ability to use the Gibbs picks in other trades.

I was angry yesterday because I thought we were screwed but looking at the picks a day later I'm wrapped. Gibbs will give us a massive lift next season. Gibson is the tagger we needed. As good as he is, we can replace Lever from within. Yesterday I would have given Reid a C+ today I see it as an A-. Well done. We are set up better for next year as well.

ideally I would have liked to hand over pick 12 instead of pick 10 however it has still been a very good trade period for the club

Bringing in two proven mids who have this year finished too 10'in their clubs BF is HUGE

In terms of the draft we have upgrade our 2017 1st round selection and have positioned ourselves in a strong position for 2018

Bring on 2018!

This is where Milera and Gallucci need to have big pre-seasons, they have pace and an opportunity to take either of the vacant roles
100% agree, everyone keeps asking where we are going to get better, but conveniently forget we have 3 x 1st round players running around in the two's. Those 3 have all done OK till now but this year OK isn't good enough. They all need to have the preseason of their lives and come out firing week 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back