Delisted 18. Charlie Constable (2018 -2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Really sounds like we have done well with this pick ... It would be interesting to see why it was Geelong he wanted to go to...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/b98a96932186405e3a32b562f6a9c57f

THEY call him “Chook”.

Geelong draftee Charlie Constable says Melbourne midfielder and mate Angus Brayshaw is to blame for the nickname. And there’s not much to it.

“That’s for my love of chicken,” Constable smiled.

“Everyone calls me that, and I’ve had that for the last three years. A nice roast chicken from Safeway is my go.”

Geelong’s dietitians shouldn’t be too unhappy with that, but Constable — who the Cats selected with pick 36 in the national draft — is hoping to make the shift from bayside Melbourne to Geelong and move in with a teammate, to “teach me the ropes and the professionalism needed to be a good player”.

The 18-year-old was in nappies when now-teammate Gary Ablett was embarking on his first pre-season.

e4485981294cbdd6fc9f24b074bbfe09

Ablett, 33, is now in his 17th and this week unveiled his new No.4 alongside Constable, who donned the hoops for the first time and will wear No.18.

It was evident that even after a few days at the club, the teenager couldn’t quite believe it.

“I’ve been having a look through some books that they gave me, and there’s some pretty big names on my locker and a few big names that we get to play with, which is pretty cool,” he said.

“We get to walk through the locker rooms with Gary Ablett and Joel Selwood, so it’s pretty surreal feeling.

“It’s obviously pretty surreal (to have his number unveiled alongside Ablett), but he’s a really nice guy. I’m sure all the first-year boys will learn a lot off him, which will be great.”

There is a familiar face.

Not only did Constable play state-league football with now-fellow Cat Lachie Fogarty — who the Cats selected with pick 22 in the recent national draft — but the duo have been mates since Under 12s.

Brayshaw, who was selected by Fremantle in the recent draft, joined Constable in the post-selection celebrations, but the teenager admitted some alone time was required as AFL officials including chief executive Gillon McLachlan read the names.

“I had just the family over, I didn’t really want the friends over,” Constable said.

“At about pick 20, I had to go to the other room and just watch it by myself — I got pretty nervous.

“When my name got read out to Geelong, I couldn’t be happier. It was the club I wanted to go to.”
Naturally, there were early nerves for Constable as he made his first trip to Geelong this week, with no time wasted in addressing what is expected of players entering the Cattery’s new facilities.

“It was clear from the start how strong the culture is here and how big they are on values and the person (as well as the player),” he said.

“We sat down with a few people this week and had a long chat about the person you need to be, and then talent comes second. So that’s really exciting to know how much emphasis they place on (that).

“In terms of (making the last two preliminary) finals, it’s pretty cool that hopefully we could play a few finals and maybe even win the flag.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/b98a96932186405e3a32b562f6a9c57f

Has leadership qualities written all over him, looking forward to watching this kid develop into a solid GFC footballer

Its probably the difference between dangerfield and Constable over 20 meters :rolleyes: yeah not much difference in speed

Simpleton.

Ok 2/10ths..

You should change your name..

Go Catters

He does remind me a bit of Jansen to be honest, been alot of tall slow big bodied midfielders that never make the grade.
Height, that's about the only thing I see is similar. One starred at the highest level of junior football, the other is Jansen.

Jansen averaged 25 touches and a goal a game in the colts he was far from an underwhelming junior to be fair to the guy.

Many kids perform well in junior footy but fail to make the grade at AFL level. Jansen is nothing new in that respect.

I didn't see him ever going top 15 personally, those guys are all pretty powerful or have pace, Constable's challenge will be whether he improves his aerobic capacity enough to make it, it's why he slid down the draft order.

Wasn't he No1 or 2 for disposals across the carnival?... 26.7/5.7marks.
We're talking the best U18 footballers in the country.
Take it from me his aerobic is sufficient!
I believe he and his mate Brayshaw (drafted 2)
did a session of 100x100mt reps, might have been split into 4×25's but no mean feat.
I know he did a 13.2 beep test which is pretty good.
Personally l think you'll be plesantly surprised.

Last edited:
Wasn't he No1 or 2 for disposals across the carnival?
did a session of 100x100mt reps, might have been split into 4×25's but no mean feat.
A 13 beep isn't good at all for a professional athlete, it's average at best really.

Last edited:
A 13 beep isn't good at all for a professional athlete, it's average at best really.

A 13.2 beep isn't exactly an endurance athlete, that's about average at AFL level.

No but it's near, (14's) especially when you're struggling with VCE and trying to be the best player at the Aust U18 Champs.

Apart from school work he focused on pure footy not athleticism. 13.2 is nothing to complain about its excellent boarding on elite.
Anyhow atm his fitness is elite football no question.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No but it's near, (14's) especially when you're struggling with VCE and trying to be the best player at the Aust U18 Champs.

Apart from school work he focused on pure footy not athleticism. 13.2 is nothing to complain about its excellent boarding on elite.
Anyhow atm his fitness is elite football no question.
Try 15, he's got alot of work to do on the track, even Wells said that lol.

Wasn't he No1 or 2 for disposals across the carnival?... 26.7/5.7marks.
Wells said he has an aerobic problem even though he wasnt even asked.

You were implying he was elite, I was simply stating he's no where near it.

He is football elite, fit enough to star at the carnival is what l said.
"Nowhere near it, you say," man if he can do all that underdone then watch and see.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Charlie, but time will tell, I think he's got the talent to go with his size.

Jansen averaged 25 touches and a goal a game in the colts he was far from an underwhelming junior to be fair to the guy.

Very true ShaunWDT , he and P Cripps were in the same team and had virtually identical averages.
At the time they were both seen as inside bulls with Jansen having the edge in breakaway pace , clearances were similar.
At the end of the day we didn't need a slowish clearance machine and tried to make him more aerobic and play forward - Blues however saw a specific role for Cripps and the rest is history as they say

Very true ShaunWDT , he and P Cripps were in the same team and had virtually identical averages.
At the time they were both seen as inside bulls with Jansen having the edge in breakaway pace , clearances were similar.
At the end of the day we didn't need a slowish clearance machine and tried to make him more aerobic and play forward - Blues however saw a specific role for Cripps and the rest is history as they say
Cripps is a pretty good Constable comparison actually, in his draft year he was rated a pretty poor runner and expected to go in the 20-40 range but Carlton took the risk on him early, with good development they can make it, Think Cripps showed more as a forward which helped his case though early days .

Sounds very level headed and a leader already also great that he and Fogarty are close mates can't hurt to help them both settle in. I know GHS doesn't get a lot of love but he'll be as good a mentor for these young mids as Ablett, Danger and Sel. It's alright having guidance from people who have huge talent get opportunities and make the most of it. The people that have challenges and still find a way to be positive and try to get the best out of themselves can sometimes be just as big an influence.

Sounds very level headed and a leader already also great that he and Fogarty are close mates can't hurt to help them both settle in. I know GHS doesn't get a lot of love but he'll be as good a mentor for these young mids as Ablett, Danger and Sel. It's alright having guidance from people who have huge talent get opportunities and make the most of it. The people that have challenges and still find a way to be positive and try to get the best out of themselves can sometimes be just as big an influence.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2017-12-04/jumper-announcement-charlie-constable

Watching him he had a nice mix of bubbly enthusiasm and respect for the club ye had the confidence to say he'd like to get afl games next year.. which when you think about it.. takes a fair bit of ego.
He looked like he could spend a couple of years in the gym but has a fair frame to build on.

And getting given some books about players that had his number... who would have been the best 36 in the past? I was just thinking handy number so he gets to sit next to 35...

Edit : yes 18 not 36 ... so great 18 names like Reg Hickey and Kent Kingsley....

Last edited:
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2017-12-04/jumper-announcement-charlie-constable

Watching him he had a nice mix of bubbly enthusiasm and respect for the club ye had the confidence to say he'd like to get afl games next year.. which when you think about it.. takes a fair bit of ego.
He looked like he could spend a couple of years in the gym but has a fair frame to build on.

And getting given some books about players that had his number... who would have been the best 36 in the past? I was just thinking handy number so he gets to sit next to 35...
I took the books as being about the club in general and thought that was a great idea. He has number 18 doesn’t he? Crameri has 36.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back