Random Discussion - NO POLITICS, NO RELIGION

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robbo you old lefty :D

When I was young Australia Day didn’t exist. Colonial settlement occurred on this day which is an historical fact but it wasn’t celebrated. That all changed with the Bi-Centennial in 1988 when the traditional Aussie ‘Long Weekend’ was created. Then Economic Dries decided it should be celebrated on the day and that ****** the long weekend.

My recollection growing up was Australia Day was always a public holiday and i thought it was tacked onto the nearest Monday to make a long weekend. It was never really celebrated (bit like the QB long weekend now) till the mid eighties. There has been some discussion of late re changing the date but i doubt there is any serious will to do this.

When I was young I thought Australia would have its own unique identity in my lifetime. Alas either apathy or entrenched conservatism has prevailed where we have a foreign head of state and a flag with a Union Jack on it. Why shouldn’t we have a flag that represents all the people who live in Australia. The current one represents the past.

I think we are in need of a new flag and would have thought it would be relatively easy to change , not sure it is a constitutional thing (i maybe wrong here) and could be relatively easily legislated. Consensus on a new flag is probably the sticking point.

And a Republic of Australia. A President of Australia sound good to me. Not a great deal needs to change despite the bleating of the Tories. It’s just the usual smokescreen that has been used since time immemorial.

Not sure changing the GG's title to President and breaking the links to the monarch will have any impact on the country. The job is purely ceremonial (some will argue J.Kerr proved it wasnt ) so i think it will remain in the 'it aint broke so no need to fix' category. I suspect when the current monarchy changes hands this issue of a President may get a push, nothing will happen while Queen Elizabeth is there.

Reconciliation with the indigenous people of this country is treading water and has been for far too long. Why shouldn’t the Aboriginal people of this country have its own representative body. They get **** all from having established institutions looking after their interests.

Agree this has been treading water for as long as i can remember. I suspect part of the issue here is it is not clear to people exactly what it is that reconciliation entails. I have to admit i couldn't articulate exactly what it is.

I take reconciliation to mean this to Indigenous Australians (from the Uluru Statement from the Heart)...

With substantive constitutional change and structural reform, we believe this ancient sovereignty can shine through as a fuller expression of Australia’s nationhood. Proportionally, we are the most incarcerated people on the planet. We are not an innately criminal people. Our children are aliened from their families at unprecedented rates. This cannot be because we have no love for them. And our youth languish in detention in obscene numbers. They should be our hope for the future. These dimensions of our crisis tell plainly the structural nature of our problem. This is the torment of our powerlessness.

We seek constitutional reforms to empower our people and take a rightful place in our own country. When we have power over our destiny our children will flourish. They will walk in two worlds and their culture will be a gift to their country.

We call for the establishment of a First Nations Voice enshrined in the Constitution​

I notice not a lot of people with flags hanging out of cars etc this year, I feel people are gunshy and worried about there car being stoved in. I worry Australia Day is dying:(:(:(.
Don’t worry BLUEALLTHRU we’ll replace it with something better when the day can be celebrated by the whole nation.

Robbo you old lefty :D

My recollection growing up was Australia Day was always a public holiday and i thought it was tacked onto the nearest Monday to make a long weekend. It was never really celebrated (bit like the QB long weekend now) till the mid eighties. There has been some discussion of late re changing the date but i doubt there is any serious will to do this.

I think we are in need of a new flag and would have thought it would be relatively easy to change , not sure it is a constitutional thing (i maybe wrong here) and could be relatively easily legislated. Consensus on a new flag is probably the sticking point.

Not sure changing the GG's title to President and breaking the links to the monarch will have any impact on the country. The job is purely ceremonial (some will argue J.Kerr proved it wasnt ) so i think it will remain in the 'it aint broke so no need to fix' category. I suspect when the current monarchy changes hands this issue of a President may get a push, nothing will happen while Queen Elizabeth is there.

Agree this has been treading water for as long as i can remember. I suspect part of the issue here is it is not clear to people exactly what it is that reconciliation entails. I have to admit i couldn't articulate exactly what it is.
Too many years in the Public Service has mellowed your views.:D

I take reconciliation to mean this to Indigenous Australians (from the Uluru Statement from the Heart)...

With substantive constitutional change and structural reform, we believe this ancient sovereignty can shine through as a fuller expression of Australia’s nationhood. Proportionally, we are the most incarcerated people on the planet. We are not an innately criminal people. Our children are aliened from their families at unprecedented rates. This cannot be because we have no love for them. And our youth languish in detention in obscene numbers. They should be our hope for the future. These dimensions of our crisis tell plainly the structural nature of our problem. This is the torment of our powerlessness.

We seek constitutional reforms to empower our people and take a rightful place in our own country. When we have power over our destiny our children will flourish. They will walk in two worlds and their culture will be a gift to their country.

We call for the establishment of a First Nations Voice enshrined in the Constitution​
The entrenched way has not worked it’s about time a new way is given a chance.

Don’t worry BLUEALLTHRU we’ll replace it with something better when the day can be celebrated by the whole nation.
Irrespective of your current views on this day, some of us including myself and possibly yourself,spent time defending this country and like Anzac Day are extremely important days in my year. I am happy how it is.

I am not that supportive of the current flag and would like to see it changed.

I would be happy with something along the lines of the Aboriginal flag design. To me looks more Australian than the union jack.

Flag.png

As long as we dont move to anything with a boxing kangaroo on it.

Irrespective of your current views on this day, some of us including myself and possibly yourself,spent time defending this country and like Anzac Day are extremely important days in my year. I am happy how it is.
We’re chalk and cheese when it comes to our views of what’s important to celebrate and commemorate. Living in a democracy provides us with that privilege. I think Australia is held back by those who claim to represent me. I don’t support detention centres, the ridicule dished out to those on welfare, the racist slagging off we’ve recently seen by Turnbull/Dutton nor the decline of workers rights in this country. For me Australia has become a country where the victim is fair game. It makes me sad.

We’re chalk and cheese when it comes to our views of what’s important to celebrate and commemorate. Living in a democracy provides us with that privilege. I think Australia is held back by those who claim to represent me. I don’t support detention centres, the ridicule dished out to those on welfare, the racist slagging off we’ve recently seen by Turnbull/Dutton nor the decline of workers rights in this country. For me Australia has become a country where the victim is fair game. It makes me sad.
We are not that far apart at all, my issue is the declining celebration on this special day perpetuated by some media and minority groups.

Now this is a flag. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

27332027_10213665409723366_5701817249087673764_n.jpg

Happy Straya day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not that supportive of the current flag and would like to see it changed.

I would be happy with something along the lines of the Aboriginal flag design. To me looks more Australian than the union jack.

View attachment 453968

As long as we dont move to anything with a boxing kangaroo on it.
I am not aboriginal so I don't want their flag
I am not English so I don't want their flag
My fore fathers never invaded nor killed any aboriginals nor English
I am a proud Australian
My fore fathers arrived with nothing and worked their asses off to give me the chance I have today
And I am proud to work on Australia day as I usually do and help the sick and down trodden even though I would prefer to be with my family
I could not care less what day it is on
Changing the date won't fix the problems the aboriginal community faces today and tomorrow
Changing the date won't fix the problems of all the Australian communities today and tomorrow

If you’ve seen something more awesome and epic than SpaceX’s rocket boosters landing autonomously and simultaneously then you’ve seriously lived

Technology advancements is truly scary in so many ways, especially so with how quickly it’s changing in today’s world

I’m going stir crazy with the bathroom/toilet renovation. Tomorrow ends the third week of early mornings and strangers stomping through the house. Tiling should be finished soon. Painting and fittings to follow.

It’s not going to be used on a regular basis as kids ran away a long time ago.

It’s messing with my retirement.;)

I’m going stir crazy with the bathroom/toilet renovation. Tomorrow ends the third week of early mornings and strangers stomping through the house. Tiling should be finished soon. Painting and fittings to follow.

It’s not going to be used on a regular basis as kids ran away a long time ago.

It’s messing with my retirement.;)
No pain no gain,It won't be forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back