Opinion 4 key questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Good q's

1 - Trengove and Cordy back with Naughton/Young replacing Moz by year's end

2 - Adams and Red fwd with hope that Schache replaces Red by years end

3 - Boyd no 1 ruck -Trengove to offer support with Adams going back and Boyd fwd at these times.

Can see Rough struggling to play regular footy this year, just not up to it IMO.

4 - JJ to plag wing/fwd with Crozier replacing him

Certainly have a few options and some flexibility.

Okey dokey. Interested in everyone’s opinions on the following 4 queries. I see them as the main question marks for our lineup going into 2018.

1. Which 2 key defenders are we playing (alongside Morris)??

Trengrove and Adams. Morris could be rotated with Naughton/Cordy/Young

2. Who are our 2 key forwards?

Just Boyd. Maybe Schache to play a high up the ground later in the year

3. Who plays as our number 1 ruckman?

Roughead

4. Where does JJ play?

Forward and wing. Got to break the tags

Adams and Trengove best credentialled.

Schache CHF, Boyd/Roughead ruck duo changing effectively at FF for the other tower. Other forwards will be more mobile types.

Roughead, with Boyd doing 33% to 40% ruck.

4. Where does JJ play?
If a non-key back combination drawn from Cordy, Wood, Biggs, Morris, Williams, Crozier, Suckling, Naughton and Richards can meet the standard, JJ plays on the wing or HFF (let him loose and give him more opportunities to pump the ball deep or get within range of a shot himself). We need to find new avenues to goal with our main avenue for the past few years gone (Shtringer)

Firstly I'm expecting/hoping some things will surprise us ... and I hope that they surprise the opposition too. Why else would we train for so long behind closed gates? Indeed, closed-door training may be due to more than hiding a few new game day tactics. There could also be some unexpected positional changes.

Who knows, it could even be a once-in-a-generation revolutionary style where Bev's "positional versatility" mantra is taken to a totally different and innovative level along the lines of the Dutch introducing the "total football" concept in the 1970s. I'm not even sure what that might look like but it'd be worth watching and would bring the crowds if it started paying off. Maybe Naughton being seen as a marking goal kicker last Saturday might just have been a sneak preview.

So here's three answers, assuming all players are fit of course, and ignoring Redpath's Round 1 holiday:
BLUE (what I'd do ... so obviously that's wrong and won't happen)
GREEN (what I think the club might do) and
RED (some possible examples of a new style of play ... a bit of innovation plus)

TRENGOVE, CORDY
TRENGOVE, ADAMS
variously TRENGOVE, ADAMS, CORDY, SCHACHE, BOYD as the flow of play dictates (but no REDPATH thanks)

SCHACHE, ADAMS
REDPATH, BOYD
variously TRENGOVE, ADAMS, CORDY, SCHACHE, BOYD as the flow of play dictates (alas still no REDPATH)

BOYD
ROUGHEAD
None. Variously CORDY, SCHACHE, TRENGOVE, BOYD, ROUGHEAD (if included), JONG (if incl), BONTEMPELLI, PICKEN and MACRAE according to flow of play. Someone different for nearly every ball-up and throw-in.

4. Where does JJ play?
Wing - running both ways
HBF with licence to drift forward of wing
Mostly forward but seemingly changing role and positional play after every goal (or every 4-5 minutes), along with nearly every other medium-small in the side, leaving opposition players totally confused

Naturally I have no real idea how Bev might choose to revolutionise tactics and positional play (that much should be obvious). But if he DID, how do you think it might look?

I’m with you DW:

1. Cordy and trengove key defence
2. Adams and Schache key forward
3. Boyd as our number 1 ruckman
4. JJ forward and wing

All four of Morris, Trengove, Adams and Cordy could play back. Morris can play on smalls he beat Gray late in the year doing so, Cordy’s more of a third tall, Trengove can play on the biggest tall and Adams is versatile. Crozier, Biggs, JJ and Wood gives the run. Playing a stronger aerial defence would fix a big weakness from last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's tongue in cheek...but I just don't want it to happen..will be like someone dying when Moz goes.

As they say in the classics, we will always have 5 mins 24 secs to go in the the final quarter of the 2016 Grand Final
I agree 100%, at least we have not Hawthorn style shown our
heroes the door, Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge makes me gag a
little especially when they draft a kid called Mitchell Lewis the
same year. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't
though.

1. Which 2 key defenders are we playing (alongside Morris)?? Cordy and Trengove

2. Who are our 2 key forwards? Tom Boyd and Josh Shaq Attack

3. Who plays as our number 1 ruckman? Jordan Roughead

4. Where does JJ play 60% defender 40% forward

Thank god some of you don’t pick the team

Adams plays forward but then Trengrove goes onto the ruck? We struggled against big teams last year and that leaves us no big men back????

Morris not playing??? HaahahahahahahhahahahahahaHahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahaha
Wow

For the first time in 20 years we have the ability to actually play a real spine and some of you want to already move blokes around

Spine is Adams Trengrove Libba Boyd Red/Schache

Put the thing in place and leave it there stop p!ssing around and trying to be clever coz it isn’t.

And then we play Boyd in the ruck who has told everyone at the club and everyone he speaks in the media he doesn’t want to play in the ruck? Yep let’s play a mentally weak footballer out of position and see how that’s works shall we? Perhaps Schache at full Back also while we are at it??

Adams and Trengove.

Boyd and Schache please. Hoping these guys start marking and keeping Redpath out of the side. Sorry guys, Red is not AFL standard.

Roughead will want to have better form in the ruck early rounds. He was a liability 2nd half of last year, one of the worst on our list to be fair. I’ll give him another go as he was instrumental late 2016 in us winning a flag.

JJ starts back and moves between wing and half forward. I think Suckling and Crozier will cover him down back when he goes forward.

Top 4 Dogs!

Adams and Cordy, our KPD's for the next 8 years. Cordy will be our best defender by round 5 so let them build together. Set and forget.

Boyd and Schache, with 4 smalls around them

Roughead as we dont have another choice.

4. Where does JJ play?
forward/wing as he will help create space for Boyd and Schache.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Adams and Trengrove next to Morris for this season*
2. Boyd and Schache, can't afford two slow turning forwards in the same team, hence no Redpath
3. Roughead at first, with Trengrove to pinch hit in the defensive half and Boyd to pinch hit when deep in the forward 50 at stoppages and when Roughead needs a break
4. JJ will play more wing and forward this year. Unless Crozier struggles then he may go back to a primary rebounder

* Cordy and/or Young off the bench, both can play either end of the ground. Could see Naughton being added to this list in the future as well. Will offer flexibility to go a third, or cover an injury or someone having a poor game

1. Adams and Trengove
2. Redpath and Boyd
3. Roughy. Why even ask this?
4. Down back. Without Murphy we lack pace down there.

Why even ask this?? Because Roughead was utterly embarrassing last year. Pathetic. Alongside clay smith in the “taking the piss and not having a go” stakes.

Oh, and because I think Boyd’s already a better ruckman and is out of position as a key forward. And English is coming. Not this year, but he’ll be our number 1 ruckman soon enough.

Why even ask this?? Because Roughead was utterly embarrassing last year. Pathetic. Alongside clay smith in the “taking the piss and not having a go” stakes.

Oh, and because I think Boyd’s already a better ruckman and is out of position as a key forward. And English is coming. Not this year, but he’ll be our number 1 ruckman soon enough.

Hmmm. How soon we forget.

Roughy was an absolute lock in our premiership side, then had a shocking injury and missed half of last year.

Will be back with a vengeance in 2018.

Hmmm. How soon we forget.

Roughy was an absolute lock in our premiership side, then had a shocking injury and missed half of last year.

Will be back with a vengeance in 2018.

I hope so. But he was a complete liability last year.

Thank god some of you don’t pick the team

Adams plays forward but then Trengrove goes onto the ruck? We struggled against big teams last year and that leaves us no big men back????

Morris not playing??? HaahahahahahahhahahahahahaHahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahaha
Wow

For the first time in 20 years we have the ability to actually play a real spine and some of you want to already move blokes around

Spine is Adams Trengrove Libba Boyd Red/Schache

Put the thing in place and leave it there stop p!ssing around and trying to be clever coz it isn’t.

And then we play Boyd in the ruck who has told everyone at the club and everyone he speaks in the media he doesn’t want to play in the ruck? Yep let’s play a mentally weak footballer out of position and see how that’s works shall we? Perhaps Schache at full Back also while we are at it??

Boyd dosnt play at all then MD.
He has the forward instincts of my grandmother !

Okey dokey. Interested in everyone’s opinions on the following 4 queries. I see them as the main question marks for our lineup going into 2018.

4. Where does JJ play?

Adams, Trengove

Boyd, Cordy

Roughead

Rotating with Crozier between HBF and HFF

Have u seen the way we deliver the he ball inside 50??

Tony Lockett wouldn’t get a kick.

Boyd may not play but he isn’t a ruckman and more importantly doesn’t want to be one. With a player who already has mental issues playing them where they don’t want to play just won’t work. Oh and he isn’t a ruckman either soegy keep trying.

The club need to stop moving blokes around and stick with a plan. You don’t see the hawks crows swans moving their Kps around wily nilly

Boyd has neither the instincts, speed or agility to get separation from his opponent. Never gets an easy ball on the lead, in space. Makes him a very ineffective forward.

Terrific young ruckman though.

I get it. We need a key forward. We invested so much in him to fill that role. But not being mature enough to acknowledge he’s best served elsewhere is an even bigger mistake.

Out of interest, when has he ever said this? The quotes from him i remember are more like he sees himself "as a ruckman primarily, with the ability to go forward when needed"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back